In the final buying stretch....Expression pedals?

GaryB

Inspired
Okay, so the trigger list includes an Axe Fx II and an MFC. I'm down to expression pedals. I'll need two basic functions from expression pedal(s). First, a volume control, and second a parameter control...Primarily wha or whammy. So I have two questions based on reading the manual and the forums...

Do I go with a pedal that has a toe switch, in which case I think I'd only need one pedal. I'd have it set to auto-engage as a volume pedal, and then use the toe switch to flip to it being a wha or whammy pedal. Since the toe switch would flip it to the wha or whammy control, I wouldn't necessarily need to auto-engage at that point, correct?

Or do I go with two pedals...One being a constant volume, the other set to auto engage (for the wha or whammy). In either case, the wha or whammy effect would be programmed into the individual patch, so I wouldn't need a pedal with a toe switch.

Lastly....Mission or Fractal pedals? If I want to go the toe switch direction, Mission is the option, as I'm not seeing toe switches on the Fractal pedals.

Do you need volume to be available when you're using wah or whammy? Then your decision is made for you: you need two pedals.

I would choose two separate pedals, unless size or budget is an issue. That's just more simple and straightforward to deal with.

I don't necessarily need the volume and wha/whammy simultaneously, but I was leaning towards two pedals anyway. Just wanted to get input from those of you who are actually gigging with the Axe. How is the EV-5 compared to the Fractal and Mission pedals? It's about half the price...Is it durable enough for the road? I'm playing around 80 gigs a year. An extra hundred bucks or so for pedals that I don't have to worry about beating the hell out of doesn't bother me.

I agree with Rex. If space and money allow, two pedals for the win. I went with two Mission pedals both with toe switches just to have two extra IA switches. One pedal is always my Volume. It's toe switch controls what the second pedal will engage and control. For example the second pedal will engage and control either the wah or whammy. I use the toe switch on the second pedal for on and off instead of auto-engage. Tons of possibilities.

If space isn't an issue, I'd go separate pedals. I have had EV-1's, which were great, but ended up with 2 x EV-2's and a dedicated wah via a Mission Pedal (spring loaded).

phRoUF5.jpg

Last edited:
If you are used to the Crybaby/Dunlop form factor, the Mission pedals are the way to go.

I think most people don't use the Fractal pedals for wah because it has a very wide sweep... But conversely most like that wide sweep for volume.

The autoengage is great for wah and whammy, in combination with the spring loaded option of the Mission.

I have EV5’s that are probably over 20 years old. I’ve used them for guitar and keyboard playing. They’ve been used for 100s of gigs and they still work. So I can vouch for their road worthiness. I have an EV1 I use for volume with the Axe FX. It’s nice. Very smooth. I’ve never used a Mission pedal.

I picked up 2 Dunlop Volume X pedals for my MFC. They work quite well, just have a bit more sweep than a Crybaby does. Took a minute to get used to as a wah pedal, and I adjusted the mid point in my wah block to feel more natural in relation to where my foot was mid sweep. A bit cheaper than the Fractal pedals, and since my MFC rig is attached to a foot pedal in a case, I'm sure they'll survive as long as I do.

Back
Top Bottom