Importing a ToneMatch from Ax Fx II to FM9

gutsee

There are many presets I'd like to try out that were made for Ax Fx II and III, but they use ToneMatch cabs. I'm unable to get these cabs into FM9. I opened these up in Frac-Tool exported the ToneMatch, both as FM9 and Axe Fx III. The FM9 doesn't register when scanning for user cabs, but the Ax Fx 3 version does. So I added those, however when loading the cab into a preset no sound comes through. Is there a step I'm missing?

From the FM9 FAQ:

Can the FM9 do Tone Matching or IR capture?
No, the Tone Matching and IR Capture features of the Axe-Fx III are not included on the FM9. However, Tone Matches and IR Captures exported from the Axe-Fx III can be loaded in the Cab block of the FM9.

Hello is anywhere in there?
Yes, but you might have to wait longer than 90 minutes to get a response on a Tuesday morning.

Tone Matches can be exported as IRs. Then the IR can be used in an FM-anything.

Yes, but you might have to wait longer than 90 minutes to get a response on a Tuesday morning.

I thought this was the talk to yourself thread, I didn't expect any reply to my post truly, probably confusing to you since you don't know my sense of humor. I take it you mistook my post as not being patient for answers to a question I didn't ask. I know all about TM and IR's so yeah I wasn't looking for any answers here just talking to myself in a thread I thought the OP was just having a conversation with himself.

Does that clarify my post better now?

There are many presets I'd like to try out that were made for Ax Fx II and III, but they use ToneMatch cabs. I'm unable to get these cabs into FM9. I opened these up in Frac-Tool exported the ToneMatch, both as FM9 and Axe Fx III. The FM9 doesn't register when scanning for user cabs, but the Ax Fx 3 version does. So I added those, however when loading the cab into a preset no sound comes through. Is there a step I'm missing?
Just be aware, some presets with a 'Tone Match' block may also be using a Cab block, then the 'Tone Match' as an extra corrective EQ. In those cases you won't be able to recreate the Cab+EQ with just a single cab block, without re-Tone Matching them together as a whole.

Then there are the differences between different firmware versions and different platforms that will affect the results in various degrees. Which may require re-Tone Matching again using both units, running the appropriate firmware versions (if known?).

I may be able to help through my custom preset service. P.M. me if you want to discuss this at all.

Last edited:
I thought this was the talk to yourself thread..
Nope. The OP made the initial post, then added something three minutes later.

I take it you mistook my post as not being patient for answers to a question I didn't ask.
That’s exactly what it looked like. :)

I know all about TM and IR's so yeah I wasn't looking for any answers here...
Yes, but the OP doesn’t, so I answered his question.

Nope. The OP made the initial post, then added something three minutes later.

Yes and I took that as he was talking to himself as he was working things out.
That’s exactly what it looked like. :)
Cool, I can see why you were confused, I didn't clarify and the post did come off that way if you didn't get my "in there" part, now you seem to get my intent.

Yes, but the OP doesn’t, so I answered his question.

Partially yes, there are more to IR's as Moke pointed out, either way, now that we are on the same page, and you're answering posts on a Tuesday quicker than 90 minutes I have a new appreciation for you taking your time and the speed at which you're responding to me even though I have no question at this point. Hopefully when I have a question will be there to answer

Have a nice rest of your day :cool:

I believe this is what I did, I right clicked the Tone Match block in the original preset and it has an export option. Is there a different way of doing this?

Just be aware, some presets with a 'Tone Match' block may also be using a Cab block, then the 'Tone Match' as an extra corrective EQ. In those cases you won't be able to recreate the Cab+EQ with just a single cab block, without re-Tone Matching them together as a whole.
One of the presets I tried did have a cab + Tone Match, but the other didn't. For simplicity sake, the one that only had the Tone Match should then work if I export it and add it as a user cab on my FM9? When auto searching the folder with the exported blocked it does pick it up and automatically add it to user cabs. But when selecting it no sound no longer comes through.

I believe this is what I did, I right clicked the Tone Match block in the original preset and it has an export option. Is there a different way of doing this?
Right-clicking on the Tone Match block doesn't give an export option.

Click on the Tone Match block, and then choose the Export tab.

1673385579104.png

Right-clicking on the Tone Match block doesn't give an export option.

Click on the Tone Match block, and then choose the Export tab.
I am using Frac-Tool as Moke mentioned. Would it work better for me to download the software for ax fx 2 and export it that way?

I am using Frac-Tool as Moke mentioned. Would it work better for me to download the software for ax fx 2 and export it that way?

Don’t know. I never exported a TM from FracTool.

Post the export here, and we can have a look.

Back
Top Bottom