"IMART" (Intelligent Maximum-Likelihood Adaptive Real-Time) pitch detection.

Cliff built some AI into the algorithm and it can now predict what you will play ahead of it happening hence the stellar performance. IMART will be powering many more devices in the future mark my words.

IHMO, they should have named it Tachyon technique instead of IMART... :D

It would be cool if they also added an option to "play" the pitch shifter voices via note numbers, so it would be like an TC Helicon Harmony M but aimed for guitar...
I remember wishing that for Ultra many years ago, Cliff seemed interested in knowing why and how one could use it. I don´t know what happened then... and here I am still wishing that option...

/Mike

IHMO, they should have named it Tachyon technique instead of IMART... :D

It would be cool if they also added an option to "play" the pitch shifter voices via note numbers, so it would be like an TC Helicon Harmony M but aimed for guitar...
I remember wishing that for Ultra many years ago, Cliff seemed interested in knowing why and how one could use it. I don´t know what happened then... and here I am still wishing that option...

/Mike

Haven't worked with Helicon, but Digitech IPS33b custom harmony had a nice function in that you would play a note into it and then select the harmony note from the screen. Much easier than selecting an interval.

Since Cliff said "The pitch detector now tracks even complex chords" I'm guessing this will allow us to have "custom tunings" ala Variax?

Since Cliff said "The pitch detector now tracks even complex chords" I'm guessing this will allow us to have "custom tunings" ala Variax?
If I catch your meaning, no, because even then the Axe-fx won't know which string is producing which note. For tuning strings independently, you need dedicated pickups for each string.

Not necessarily, The Variax uses hexaphonic input and processing, therefore each string has its own pitch shifter. For example you could shift certain strings different amounts to create open or dropped tunnings. The Axe II on the other hand only has a mono source for pitch shifting but will now pitch shift a chord the same amount without the nasty artifacts of the pitch detector getting confused witch notes to track.

Haven't worked with Helicon, but Digitech IPS33b custom harmony had a nice function in that you would play a note into it and then select the harmony note from the screen. Much easier than selecting an interval.

I haven´t worked with Helicon either but I´m aware of their pedals and how some of them works. Learn function would be easier for programming yes, but I´m talking about having the pitch shifter voices "played" via NN in realtime. Sometimes it´s kinda hard to figure out what kind of scale you should pick for the chord/melody you´re about to play (and add pitch shifter to) and even worse you´ll sometimes have to switch between scales. If you then also would like to have different voices switching their harmony notes unrelated to each other at different certain chords/notes in relation to what you are playing, you are going to be in some serious tap dancing...

/Mike

I hope it "feels" great when playing a standard tuned guitar as a baritone via the new pitch system... that would put a smile on my face!

No. This technology cannot realistically be implemented in real time as of now. See Cliff below.

No.

People need to understand that this is not polyphonic pitch detection. It's just greatly improved pitch detection and commensurate pitch shifting. With most pitch shifting products things go haywire when you play, for example, a 7#9 or a 13th or other complex chords. The new pitch detector can detect the fundamental of complex chords which then allows the shifter to shift them musically.

Myself and the beta testers seem to feel that it's the best pitch detector/shifter for guitar now. It tracks way, way better than my Eclipse.

To do custom tunings you need a polyphonic detector and polyphonic shifter. IOW, you need to detect all the notes and then somehow extract each one and shift it individually. This is virtually impossible to do in real-time with a single audio stream. Things like Melodyne can do it off-line. I don't know how Melodyne works, maybe wavelet decomposition, but it's unreasonable to expect that kind of thing in real-time with current hardware, maybe in the future. To do it in real-time you need a polyphonic, i.e. hexaphonic, pickup. This is how the Variax and Roland products work. They apply a detection and shift to each string which is a much easier calculation since the audio from each string is monophonic. Detecting the fundamental of polyphonic material is a very difficult signal processing problem.

Back
Top Bottom