I'm Just Going to Leave This Here

I've heard the clips out there for Amplifire thusfar, and tried the Studio Devil software it's modelling is based on. I know, this is not the same as trying the unit for yourself.. BUT IMO the Amplifire not in the same league as Fractal. Not even close.

I would expect AX8 to be more expensive than the Atomic, so maybe there's a market for both. But if it's priced anywhere close (Cliff did say 'aggressive'..) then I think Amplifire is doomed.

Re: AX8 vs FX8 price:

1). The Tigersharc DSPs in the Axe-Fx II are really expensive, and there are 2 of them. (one for amps, one for FX)
2). The FX8 has the same DSP but there's only ONE of them (FX only) (please correct me if I'm wrong about this.. I'm not sure)

Cliff has already said the AX8 "has two dual-core DSPs, one for amp modeling the other for effects. These DSPs are slower than the ones in the Axe-Fx"

If this is all true, the question is how much cheaper are the AX8 DSPs and how much would that factor into the price?

I think it's very possible this could be a $999 pricepoint.. but who knows?

What I know for sure.. if I can run one amp block, one cab block, some basic FX... and these SOUND identical to the Axe-Fx II.. then I WANT!!! :)

the question is how much cheaper are the AX8 DSPs and how much would that factor into the price?
Considering the facts that one Tigersharc DSP can handle two amps/two cabs and one DSP in AX8 can handle one amp/one cab someone could say that it will be enough if DSPs in AX8 will have two times less power than Tigersharcs in AFX. If so, the difference in price could be substantial as well. This may be the key to the "agressive price" meaning.

I've heard the clips out there for Amplifire thusfar, and tried the Studio Devil software it's modelling is based on. I know, this is not the same as trying the unit for yourself.. BUT IMO the Amplifire not in the same league as Fractal. Not even close.

I would expect AX8 to be more expensive than the Atomic, so maybe there's a market for both. But if it's priced anywhere close (Cliff did say 'aggressive'..) then I think Amplifire is doomed.
I'm sorry but this isn't the same thing as having the flexibility of being able to create a preset with 3 three totally independent amplifiers and three instances of the same effect. Why not just buy another 2 XL then? Having everything accessible in the same unit as well as in the same preset is a whole other level of convenience that has yet to be introduced with the processing power needed to do it. AX8 looks fantastic and will probably sell like hot cakes but I would personally like to have the power of 2 XL's in one unit.

This may have already been brought up / speculated upon... but here's what I'm wondering: will it be usable as a midi controller for the Axe-FX?

Imagine the flexibility:
- Small gig: AX8
- Bigger gig: Axe-FX (using AX8 as controller)
- Studio: Axe-FX *and* AX8 (3 amps, 3 cabs, 3 instances of some of the effects)... just opening up the CPU-ceiling.

My guess would be that the Ax8 and Fx8 will be very close in terms of midi capability - i.e. no FasLink (we know the Fx8 does't have one, why would the Ax8 have one). So you'd have 8 buttons that you can program to send midi messages which would most likely be to few to control the Axe Fx if you need to do most of the fancy stuff the Axe Fx 2 can but the Ax8 can't, but maybe if you setup scenes and don't use anything else it would work.

I don't think the Ax8 would work as having 3 amps with the Ax Fx 2 though - for cabling reasons. You'd have the same problem as when running 2 Axe Fx's, one needs to go in the effect loop of the other, or you'll have to daisy chain them. This in almost every scenario means picking one as the main one and run auxiliary effects on the other one, they wouldn't work as giving you 4 amps at the same time. One thing you'd likely be able to do really well though is similar to how M@ and others reported with the Fx8 and that is to run Guitar -> Ax8 -> Axe Fx 2 -> monitor. And then move drives and all other pre amp effects to the Ax8, freeing up a lot of CPU in the Axe Fx 2 and make it a lot easier to run 2 amps and cabs without running into CPU issues.

You wanted it? You got it! ;)
I'm sorry but this isn't the same thing as having the flexibility of being able to create a preset with 3 three totally independent amplifiers and three instances of the same effect. Why not just buy another 2 XL then? Having everything accessible in the same unit as well as in the same preset is a whole other level of convenience that has yet to be introduced with the processing power needed to do it. AX8 looks fantastic and will probably sell like hot cakes but I would personally like to have the power of 2 XL's in one unit.

So then assuming it will be a little more "stripped down" than what Cliff has already mentioned.......
1)How many amp models will it have?
I'm always surprised when cost-saving discussions come down to the question of how many amp models there will be. Think about it. If a processor can model just one amp, it can model any amp. Amp models are among the least expensive things you could add to a device, if you've already created the models.

I'm always surprised when cost-saving discussions come down to the question of how many amp models there will be. Think about it. If a processor can model just one amp, it can model any amp. Amp models are among the least expensive things you could add to a device, if you've already created the models.

Duh......I'm talking how many will Fractal "choose to include" in the AX8?

probably all amps.

i have a friend ready to quit music because he just can't find the gear to make the sounds he wants. he loves my axe, but logistically he just can't do the rack + controller thing.

i would really love to know any sort of time estimate for the AX8 to keep him motivated not to quit. he's great but just lots of crap going on with him lately and i'd love to give him a ray of hope.

And don't forget double customers. I don't have a need for two Axe-Fx's but I would definitely buy one of these floor models as a backup/home/grab-n-go unit where I don't need all the horsepower that I would for more demanding gigs.
Welp... Only 1 thing left to consider then. Retire all axe 2 models b4 the 2 xl and make the 2 XL the entry level processor and introduce a new flagship. ;)

And don't forget double customers. I don't have a need for two Axe-Fx's but I would definitely buy one of these floor models as a backup/home/grab-n-go unit where I don't need all the horsepower that I would for more demanding gigs.
I would as buy one for that reason as well. The question is how much less horsepower? I notice there are no navigation buttons. It doesn't mean much by itself, but it makes you wonder whether the matrix routing is there. I could see something like an Ax-Fxe Jr with a more intuitive interface for performance, but similar features to Axe FX II through Axe-Edit.

Perhaps. But the idea is to sell more stuff. If we lose 10% Axe-Fx sales but total sales are up 50% then it's worth it.

If the AX8 turns out to include all Axe2 amp models(not clarified yet) & the vast majority of the effects(Cliff basically said this)......& no dual amps/cabs that cliff has already mentioned, it will sell a ton & their II/XLs sales will definitely suffer..........but like Cliff says Fractal sales will increase! It's a paradigm shift folks.

Makes perfect sense. I believe the all in one AX8 pedalboard type format will turn out to be Fractals main seller/focus & was inevitably always going to end up being the case! It's just the format "most" guitarists into modeling want, & for those that must play tubes Fractal has the FX8 with only effects/ channel switching & designed for 4 cable method etc.......

Last edited:
Perhaps. But the idea is to sell more stuff. If we lose 10% Axe-Fx sales but total sales are up 50% then it's worth it.

This is a good idea but only if the profit margin is good which it would make sense or you wouldn't be doing it.

Edit: Just realized I hit the 7K club...

Back
Top Bottom