I'm Going to Stop Doing This (and maybe you will too)...

"Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteres are at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a tatol mses and you cansitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by itslef but the wrod as a wlohe.
"

This looks like a typical guitar forum post.

Yeah what's worse... he's right. I could read it all fluently without a problem.

Poor George Carlin... if only he could stop by for story time here.
IMO it is intent. I can be a raving vulgarian, especially when I get really upset.

My favorite word is gasped at in the USA, but in western Europe, not so much. My favorite use of this word is with a -ly on the end. Not many (any?) company forums it is permitted to be used on...

Only a habit due to some forums with an auto-censoring feature and won't allow anything containing the "7 dirty words" on their pages.

Swearing is vital a part of my general vocabulary. I've on numerous occasions told my boss to, "Eat a [male appendage]". Not sure he appreciates it. :lol Our sales people also disagree when I suggest to them they should just tell the customer to, "Eat shit and die." And of course my general go to phrase to express surprise is, "[Copulate with] a duck." If it's particularly surprising I'll go with, "[Copulate with] several ducks."

I wouldn't go too crazy with the swearing here. I actually got a warning about it once from one of the mods, some time ago. Mind you, it wasn't just the odd swear word in a post. From memory, I went to the trouble of swearing in the biggest font the forum would allow. Friendly warning PM sent, lesson learned. :lol

fffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu**************************ck Y------------u Larry (curb your enthusiasm managers wife)

I know I've done this in the past, but it just occurred to me how silly it is. I try not to swear too much, both in speech and print... but, every now and then a good swear word will capture how I'm feeling about something like no other. Thankfully, this forum isn't littered with constant profanity... which usually makes the reading of other online storehouses of strangers words quite tiresome (youtube, for example).

However... when the desire arrives to use a bad word, why do this... sh*t? When I type that out, I'm not saying to myself, "s... h... asterisk... t,"... I'm saying, "shit." When you read, sh*t... you're not saying to yourself, s... h... asterisk... t... you're saying, shit. Whether we say the word out loud or to ourselves in our minds, makes absolutely no difference. We are both saying the same poorly disguised word. The only difference between saying the word out loud, or, silently to ourselves, is whether anybody around you can hear it as well. This difference vanishes in an online, written environment.

Writing swear words with these f#*king silly symbols does not censor the word, as both writer and reader have already said the word in an instant, making the censorship ineffective.

So... if you feel the need to swear, then just type out the fucking word already (which is what I will be doing from now on... for fuck's sake)...

Wish I could take my like back-I thought you were serious. When you grow up perhaps you'll feel different. Swearing and cursing is only cool to those who swear and curse. IMHO it's a cop out, stupid and yeah slam me, I really don't care. Very profound-Let's protect the right to curse and swear-yes, very clever. JUST MHO of course.

Stratman68 said:
Wish I could take my like back-I thought you were serious. When you grow up perhaps you'll feel different. Swearing and cursing is only cool to those who swear and curse. IMHO it's a cop out, stupid and yeah slam me, I really don't care. Very profound-Let's protect the right to curse and swear-yes, very clever. JUST MHO of course.

I am serious. And, I'll be 41 in a month. It was just an observation... not a this-is-my-right-to-swear-rant. I don't think swearing and cursing is anything other than using certain words that have been deemed unacceptable by the majority. I'm only pointing out that should one decide that a swear is the right word to use at a particular moment... it is silly (and ineffectual) to censor the word when typing it out due to the word having already been spoken in the mind's voice by both writer and reader. There's nothing profound at all about this... it's a simple truth. Censoring oneself does not protect another from what one deems as needing censoring...

Wish I could take my like back - Are you sure I'm the one who needs to grow up? Here, I'll 'like' your post above... even?

Last edited:
I'm only 23 and work in a field directing industrial contractors, mostly from other companies. I once sent a middle-aged electrician home because he was whining and cursing continually in front of our clients. I even told him that was "time out" after he really made some comments that got to me. He wasn't pleased with such a young person from another company giving him orders, and being punished like a child. I see no intelligence or maturity in people that curse profusely. If you act like a child, expect to be treated like one. This is a civilized society, and there's no reason to loosely use words that many people find offensive.

One of the reasons I like this place is the infrequent use of such language.
Per the forum rules this thread has already logged enough foul language it should have been deleted.
Though it would hurt, because I have learned a lot from you folks, but if this is to become the norm for this forum I will be gone.
No big loss I would be the first to admit.
Just a stand I choose to make.

Something along the lines of...

I have a dig bick. You that read wrong. You that read wrong too. and that.
This is an illustration of one of the challenges of proofreading. The biggest and most glaring mistakes are often the ones that get overlooked. You have to learn to pay attention to every word and read slowly. I think that's the reason I like posting in forums. Nobody gives a $&!+ if my grammar, spelling, or punctuation are correct.

Swearing is the whammy bar of life. Best to know how to use well but not use it too o

So... if you feel the need to swear, then just type out the fucking word already (which is what I will be doing from now on... for fuck's sake)...

I get what you're saying. It is silly in one sense.
That said, I respectfully disagree, unless you would say those same words if we were talking in a large public place full of strangers and children.

If you had the instinct to $%^#$% the word in the first place, that tells me you wouldn't say "#@$% YA!" at the mall, perhaps because you don't know who is in earshot and were raised to be courteous around strangers especially.

I think this is a sign of civilization and is to be commended. It also makes when you do say #$%^!!! have a lot more impact.

Swearing is the whammy bar of life. Best to know how to use well but not use it too often.

Guess I'll be the swim against the tide guy. While I will be the first to defend any person's right to free speech, the "I'll do or say anything I like and if you don't like it then too bad for you" attitude is at the core of a much bigger issue. Self-absorption is the antithesis of civility. We all choose to be respectful of others, or disrespectful of others. I acknowledge that vulgar and crude language is offensive to many people, so for their sake, I choose not use language that is offensive. I do not tell anyone how to speak as I am not responsible for the content of their speech, they are.

People do not take offense at the absence of vulgarity, but the presence of vulgarity. When people cuss, they know it is offensive to some people, but cuss anyway. Along with the right of free speech comes responsibility for choosing our words carefully. When choosing to offend or not offend, I prefer to hold the other person in high regard and take the don't offend path. I can express myself without using vulgar speech. Out of the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks.

One of the reasons I like this place is the infrequent use of such language.
Per the forum rules this thread has already logged enough foul language it should have been deleted.
Though it would hurt, because I have learned a lot from you folks, but if this is to become the norm for this forum I will be gone.
No big loss I would be the first to admit.
Just a stand I choose to make.

Yeah but it's the context that it has been used in... It has not been directed at anyone and it's not like the thread is here so we can post foul language for the fun of it. Yes, technically it has violated forum rules and probably should be deleted but you have to admit it is such a taboo topic, in just about any forum and all over words that have a negative connection to them.

Pregnant thought here...

The Challenge, Let's see who can come up with a new 4 letter swear word that doesn't violate forum rules... any takers?

IMO, part of it comes down to the use of euphemisms, and altered/substitutional spellings, and the writer's/speaker's intent. I began using "all buggered up" in conversation (I live in the USA), but as it became more ingrained in my day-to-day speech as a substitute for stronger language, it crept into my postings.. which in turn offended non-US forumites (not here, elsewhere). So, I began using "bork" as another substitute; "Oh, I really borked that one up.." or, "What a bork that is.." etc. I also love Battlestar Galactica's "frak," and "ah, frell!" or "Oh, dren!"

But is that any better? Worse?

I temper my wordplay as best I am able. Unfortunately, I tic (pretty regularly), I also have echolalia (predominantly sound, but words as well.. especially if, erm, interesting in sound or meaning), and if I happen into a meltdown...

Back
Top Bottom