If you could pick one amp and one cab in FW18 what is your Holy Grail?

mwd

Power User
In keeping up with the excitement of FW18 and the G3 technology, new amps and cabs, what if you could only pick one rig.

Which one would it be?

Thinking this might help some of us to start building some custom presets.

Last edited:
Oooh tough one. :)

First choice would be:
Amp: AC30 TB
Cab: 1x12 Roamer R121 (Factory 136) - although I'm getting close to changing this to one of the new cabs that came with FW18 )

Second choice (I know, I'm cheating, but if for some reason the first one got 'stolen'):
Amp: Plexi 100W High
Cab: 2x12 TX Star M160 (Factory 019) - this used to be a 4x12 (Factory 038 )

Man, that's tough, since this is the first FW where I've liked damn near every amp model I've tried thus far, including some I specifically did NOT like previously, but...

I've lost the most time lately to the Trainwreck Express model. 2nd choice would be the AC30 HOT... and those two say a lot, because I'm normally the gain-whore type.

Triptik & Tucana (all models) are awesome as usual. Yet again, the 5150 III saw a major improvement. Badcat & Badgers have been fun. Same for the Lonestar, but I'm eager to see how it is post-G3 tune-up. Everything "tweed" sounds & feels better IMO. Lots of folks seem to be gravitating toward the Dumbles, but I haven't gotten that far yet... really no wrong choices!

Man, that's tough, since this is the first FW where I've liked damn near every amp model I've tried thus far, including some I specifically did NOT like previously, but...

I've lost the most time lately to the Trainwreck Express model. 2nd choice would be the AC30 HOT... and those two say a lot, because I'm normally the gain-whore type.

Triptik & Tucana (all models) are awesome as usual. Yet again, the 5150 III saw a major improvement. Badcat & Badgers have been fun. Same for the Lonestar, but I'm eager to see how it is post-G3 tune-up. Everything "tweed" sounds & feels better IMO. Lots of folks seem to be gravitating toward the Dumbles, but I haven't gotten that far yet... really no wrong choices!

+1 on the trainwreck express-actually all of them-oh-only one-Trainwreck then........................and the SF1 Tweed-and the................and the................and the..............

Sorry- OCD, or FAS

Probably the AC30 and one of the OH mid gain Alnico Blue IR's I use. That amp just kicks ass. I used to think I hated Vox. Then I tried this model, and I've been kicking my butt ever since.

personally for me it would be loopies or lionhearts Dumbles those really are great.

I like Cliffs ODS and the Triptik amp is alot of fun to play .

So far I’d say the Tucana and one of the factory Clark Kent TV mixes (F58/F59), but I’d be very happy with the Friedman, Plexi 1959SLP or Dirty Shirley as well.

For my primary high gain tone, nothing beats the FAS Moderns I and II with The OH Modern speakers in position 03 RMDRN. I like, in the following order: Mesa, Diezel, Bogner.

i'm using about a dozen programs live but my main meat & potatoes program is the X) 100w plexi high, Y) 1987x treble with factory cab #131, 412 TV mix 1 (ur).

Amps - Cameron Ccv 2D, ODS HRM, Custom Audio + Clean, Mr. Z38
Cabs - 4x12 Basketweave TV Mix, 1x15 Empire Mix, 2x15 Doubleshow

My go to preset was one that Cooper created in the first class. 59 Bassguy with 2x12 Top Boost Blue (RW). Everything I throw at it sounds good. So looking forward to trying out some of the ones mentioned above.

Back
Top Bottom