If you could do it all over again...

nextfoolmartyr said:
Dpoirier said:
If I could do it all over again, I would...

- Buy two FRFR speakers, not just one
... though I have one single FRFR speaker that I like a lot, I still have not made up my mind about the second one I want to buy (or even maybe buy a pair of).
Couple 'O questions:

Why would you immediately go with 2? Is the stereo effect something you miss?

What FRFR did you choose and are you satisfied?
Well, I started with one, but recently discovered the magic of two. Still, I haven't yet decided on what FRFR to buy (another one like I already have, or something else). So in a way, I followed the right path. But I *am* decided to get a second one.

As for which FRFR I chose, it's an ElectroVoice SXa-360. Loud enough to kill mammals, incredibly ergonomic (easy to carry), and light (36 lbs, I think). It sounds really really good, but I do find it has a narrow dispersion (narrower than some of the other commonly loved FRFR speakers out there).

I would have loved to find some helium-filled QSCs (I will NOT carry a 60 lb speaker!). The only other brand I tried with my Axe was a DB Technologies (didn't like it). Would love to try FBT Verve, but cannot find in Canada. FBTs can be found, but not the Verve series.

nextfoolmartyr said:
Scott Peterson said:
Now, I'd probably go with the Ultra just to have the MBC...

and I'd have tried the FBT stuff for monitoring.

I look forward to checking the Fractal/Atomic powered monitor and the MFC.

Hey Scott,

Can you spell out the MBC, FBT, and MFC so I can search what it is you reference?

Signed,

AXFXNewbie.
:D :D :D :D
Sorry 'bout that.

MBC= Multi Band Compressor. It's an Ultra-only effect.
FBT= an Italian brand of PA equipment. Speakers.
MFC= MFC101=Fractal Audio's announced but not yet debuted foot controller.

Guitar-Tiz said:
I just can't seem to get the rhythms right on the new stuff. It's like he took lessons or something between Days, and Lateralus.

I get so... I dont want to say frustrated,... but I get angry on the inside when people talk about Adam (and Tool in general) who claim they dont do anything but write in the key of D and they never did anything greater than Aenima.

Dont get me wrong, Aemina is probably my fav, but to say they havent progressed shows complete ignorance.

I can testify that each consecutive disc is a leap in technicality that is unreal.

Vicarious? Oh yeah, that took me 4 hours to learn the first 45 seconds.

Jambi? EACH AND EVERY TAB AND VIDEO is WRONG.

I figured it out. Yes, that took me some time, but I know how to play that triplet riff and the whole Youtube community is wrong...

I should show how its done, but I guess I want to keep it for myself for a while... I worked at it. I learned it. I'll share it at some point.

Anyway, 10,000 days is 10 leagues harder than Aenima, and about 7.5 leagues harder than Lateralus.

Signed,

Passionatemotherfucker.

nextfoolmartyr said:
Guitar-Tiz said:
I just can't seem to get the rhythms right on the new stuff. It's like he took lessons or something between Days, and Lateralus.

I get so... I dont want to say frustrated,... but I get angry on the inside when people talk about Adam (and Tool in general) who claim they dont do anything but write in the key of D and they never did anything greater than Aenima.

Dont get me wrong, Aemina is probably my fav, but to say they havent progressed shows complete ignorance.

I can testify that each consecutive disc is a leap in technicality that is unreal.

Vicarious? Oh yeah, that took me 4 hours to learn the first 45 seconds.

Jambi? EACH AND EVERY TAB AND VIDEO is WRONG.

I figured it out. Yes, that took me some time, but I know how to play that triplet riff and the whole Youtube community is wrong...

I should show how its done, but I guess I want to keep it for myself for a while... I worked at it. I learned it. I'll share it at some point.

Anyway, 10,000 days is 10 leagues harder than Aenima, and about 7.5 leagues harder than Lateralus.

Signed,

Passionatemotherfucker.

Exactly.

I learned all of Opiate in about the time it took to listen to the album. But by the time I decided to do so, I had heard the album millions of times, as I had that album long before I was able to play all that great.

Undertow has a few I haven't learned, but not so much because I can't, but because I've never tried.

Ænima is by far my personal favorite, so I can pretty much play every little thing (even the overdubs) on that album, (well accept the non-guitar tracks, obviously.)

As far as Lateralus, I only learned my favorites, but the others don't sound all that complicated, and I could probably hammer them out in about a hour each, if I wanted to get them down 99%.

But 10,000 Days is just off the charts as far as riff complexity. I can write pretty complex rhythm patterns myself, and pull them off with issue, while the other people in my band just stare at me like I just asked them to learn Beethoven's 5th. So I understand that it's probably much easier for Adam to play a riff he contrived himself, than it is for me to learn it, but still, that album has some seriously sick guitar parts in comparison to all their older albums.

nextfoolmartyr said:
Pretend you are me.

Just on the verge of pulling the trigger. Researching fast and furious. Trying to decide on the best way to go... Money really isnt an object because I will end up with a nice savings account addition when this is all said and done.

IF you could go back, knowing what you know now, and do it "right" the first time, what exactly would YOU do?

*I know there is no right answer here, but I'm leaning towards a certain setup, and want to see if there are others who have the same ideas... it'd make me feel better about the whole, "buy once, cry once" ideal*

I would have done exactly what I've done: Keep my ridiculous, but awesome tube rack rig and get the Ultra. I can run the tube pre's through the Axe using it's cab sims or one of tons of other routing and tone options. Up until this latest update, I was sure that I'd always keep both, but I'm doing some serious soul searching right now wondering if my tube gear offers me anything that I can't get with the Axefx. There is still a difference in the feel and tone between the two, but I'm at the point where I don't know if I like one more than the other...they're just different. That's a huge compliment to this little digital box that shouldn't sound as good as it does.

nextfoolmartyr said:
Yes, I'm a Tool fan.
I play in a Tool tribute band here in Houston,
I've been using a Diezel Herbert

Hmm.. tool tribute... Houston... Diezel..... name "Turbo Gerbil" ring a bell? ;) Check your PM. I have an Ultra.

I would do it exactely as i have done now.....I started with the whole 80`s rack including the TC2290 , PCM70 and so and playing w/d/w with 3 4x12 boxes...experimenting with some nice head....and then finally buy the AXE FX Ultra hahahah

This way you can really appreciate what this thing can do as you have your own experience with all the other stuff .....

:mrgreen:

steveb said:
nextfoolmartyr said:
Yes, I'm a Tool fan.
I play in a Tool tribute band here in Houston,
I've been using a Diezel Herbert

Hmm.. tool tribute... Houston... Diezel..... name "Turbo Gerbil" ring a bell? ;) Check your PM. I have an Ultra.

Whoa...

Check out the Sleuth Brain on Steve.

:lol:

Dpoirier said:
As for which FRFR I chose, it's an ElectroVoice SXa-360. Loud enough to kill mammals, incredibly ergonomic (easy to carry), and light (36 lbs, I think). It sounds really really good, but I do find it has a narrow dispersion (narrower than some of the other commonly loved FRFR speakers out there).

So is it safe to assume the reason you want to have a second speaker is because of the narrow dispersion, and having two would give you more coverage?

Or am I missing something?

I love the idea of 36 lbs, and can be swayed quite easily by the weight factor.

While multiple cabs can help with dispersion issues, the main reason people go with two cabs is generally to run stereo patches. This comes back often to the type of gigs you play. For me, there's no point because the places I play don't maintain good stereo fields. For many here though, that isn't an issue and they run stereo rigs.

D

My advice (for what it's worth):

* Buy an Ultra (which I did, too). I have NEVER read anyone who has an ultra say "I wish I had saved a few hundred bucks and gotten the standard." But, I have seen TONS of people with Standards say that they want an ultra, or (frequently) telling us that they went an got an Ultra, eventually. Both are great... But, my theory was that if I was going to do this, I was going to do it once and do it "right" the first time. I'm glad that I looked at it that way.

* Go direct (FRFR). You'll always have pretty much full control over what an audience hears live. You can be confident that they're hearing what you hear, which is almost never the case in any guitar setup where you hear a traditional guitar cabinet on stage and the audience hears some mic'ed up version of it out front.

* Run your system in stereo live on stage. This means getting 2 FRFR cabinets/speakers/whatever. There is nothing like the wall of sound of your AXE FX Ultra blasting you on stage with stereo imaging. Phenomenal. It inspires me to focus and play even better live because it sounds so cool. When you're having fun, your playing benefits and your audience will pick up on it.

* Eventually, get a good MIDI floor controller. If you can get by with a cheap temporary solution for now, I would do that. Get on the waiting list for a Fractal Audio MFC-101. If we don't get any news about a definite release date soon and you can't wait any longer, you can eventually get something else that's good (maybe a Liquid Foot?).

* Learn how to dowload and use the user-made cabinet simulations (Impulse Responses, or IR's). Some are phenomenal and will take your sound to a whole new level. They actually make almost more of an impact on your sound than the amp choices do.

* Be patient. There's a learning curve. Keep coming here and to other places online that discuss the AXE FX. Download the user's manual and study it while you're waiting for the UPS guy to deliver yours to you. Ask questions. Seek advice.

* Have fun. This is the single greatest musical purchase that I have ever made. Every day is a new experience. There's virtually nothing that you can't do with it. Enjoy the journey, as Scott Peterson says.

browlett said:

* Run your system in stereo live on stage. This means getting 2 FRFR cabinets/speakers/whatever. There is nothing like the wall of sound of your AXE FX Ultra blasting you on stage with stereo imaging. Phenomenal. It inspires me to focus and play even better live because it sounds so cool. When you're having fun, your playing benefits and your audience will pick up on it.

Thanks for taking the time, Ben.

What speakers are you running and what do you like/dislike about them?

*stereo would be cool..*

nextfoolmartyr said:
browlett said:

Thanks for taking the time, Ben.

What speakers are you running and what do you like/dislike about them?

*stereo would be cool..*

No problem. For the moment, I'm using cr@ppy Behringer powered monitors that sound like puke. Even at that, it works for me live for now when cranked up. But, I've heard it through some QSC monitors (borrowed 2 from a friend's PA system) and it sounded fantastic. I'm either going to get 2 of those, or possibly buy the forthcoming Fractal/Atomic Amps units. I haven't decided, yet. I also need to save a few bucks. I would try the QSC's if you can afford. Everyone pretty much swears by them with the AXE FX.

browlett said:
I would try the QSC's if you can afford. Everyone pretty much swears by them with the AXE FX.

I've noticed that they seem to get the most attention here.

And I'm sure they are very nice, though I have to take their advice before I'll ever hear one... such is the way of internet shopping it seems.

I also see the big complaint being the weight.

60 lbs is probably about the weight of my Herbert. Definitely lighter than my 4x12.

Those 36 lb EV's piqued my interest. Pricey, for sure. I wonder if the weight/cost/performance ratio on those outweigh the QSC's?

I wont be able to try them all out like I would in a perfect world.

I would try the QSC's if you can afford. Everyone pretty much swears by them with the AXE FX.

I don't.
I've tried them and compared them to a few other models and to me they had too much mids.
I've compared them to my B&W's which should have a lot flatter response than most PA-speakers and the ones I liked the most are the LEM's T4MA.
They have a coaxial speaker, which is an advantage but they weigh about the same as the QSC's.
They're a bit more compact though.
I don't think they're available in teh States though.
You might wanna take a look at the FBT PSR-212MA
http://www.fbt.it/Inglese/pae/speaker/PSR/PSR-212MA/index.asp

If I would have to do it all over again, I would play acoustic guitar for 30 years until the Axe-FX became available. ;)
And the MC101...
And the Fratomics....

nextfoolmartyr said:
Dpoirier said:
So is it safe to assume the reason you want to have a second speaker is because of the narrow dispersion, and having two would give you more coverage?

Or am I missing something?

I love the idea of 36 lbs, and can be swayed quite easily by the weight factor.
No, I'm not targeting the dispersion thing when I say I want a second FRFR. I just want that wonderful stereo field. I've been playing stereo for about a week now in my home studio (my SXa-360 on the right, and my dusty old Vetta on the left), and the stereo effects are pure bliss. I know it's just ear candy, and won't make much difference at gigs (perhaps even none at all when the venue runs a mono board), but I don't care. I want that stereo field whenever it's available.

And yeah, the 36 lbs was a strong factor when I bought it. There is another user on this forum who runs a pair of these babies. Perhaps he will chime in with his own opinion. Input that would be particularly useful is from anyone who has been able to A/B compare the SXa-360 with the QSC (which is pretty much the reference around here). Ditto for anyone who has compared FBT to QSC.

nextfoolmartyr said:
browlett said:
I've noticed that they seem to get the most attention here.
And I'm sure they are very nice, though I have to take their advice before I'll ever hear one... such is the way of internet shopping it seems.
I also see the big complaint being the weight.

The FBT Verve 12ma has also gotten some accolades, but since they arn't usually available locally I think more people have gone with the QSC's. The Verve though can be had cheaper than the QSC if I remember the price quote I got, and it's coaxial so all the sound comes from the same point, smaller, and lighter. My plan is to sell off my two Mackie SRM450's and pick up a Verve 12ma.

Don Grosh tried the QSC and the FBT and some others head to head on the old forum.... http://www.setbb.com/axefx/viewtopic.php?p=27624

If I could do it all over again, I'd still buy the Standard and play it through a SS power amp and a 4x12.

To put it in perspective, I was previously using a Mesa TriAxis and also sometimes a Mark IV. I now gig with the Standard and it is perfect for my needs.

nextfoolmartyr said:
I play in a Tool tribute band here in Houston, so you can be sure I'm headed straight to the Jones Tones Department.

Ok. It sounds like you will use the Axe-Fx live. Keep in mind, some of the guys here that gave suggestions may not play live (and many do play live). The reason I mention this is that stereo often doesn't translate well live. Yes, it can sound good, but due to venue, PA, setup, and other constraints, mono is usually the best way to go for live playing. Stereo can work, but having it sound better than mono is rare due to all of the constraints.

nextfoolmartyr said:
I have a 4x12 Mesa cab currently and the thought of just adding a power amp to the Ax has crossed my mind, but I am still leaning towards the QSC for power.

You can initially try the Axe-Fx through your 4x12 to see if you like it. If you have extra cash, get the QSC and compare it with the 4x12 to see what you prefer. Personally, I like the 4x12 due to the fullness from all the extra air it is moving and my bandmates are thoroughly impressed with my sound... Even over the TriAxis and the Mark IV.

That being said, we recorded our demo with the Axe-Fx direct using the cabinet sims and had excellent results.

The beauty of the Axe-Fx is that it allows for so many possibilities, where each works equally well, and which one you choose may just depend on personal preference. The Axe-Fx can sound just as good going direct, going through FRFR, going through a tube amp and cab, or going through a SS amp and cab.

Well, I pulled the trigger on the QSC an hour ago...

Called around looking for a good deal and got *what I thought* was a fair price...

As I'm about to pull the trigger, my friend Mike responds to an IM I'd left him earlier looking for a replacement bass player.

He works at Evans Music here in town and when I told him what I was doing he said, "we've got those, they are AWESOME".

Long story short, matching the price was no problem at all.

I did pay the tax, but QSC has a $100 rebate deal going, so I went ahead.

Phase one, complete.

:mrgreen:

I've owned the Axe-FX for about three months now and I am currently rethinking my rig. Right now I have:

Axe-FX Standard
ART SLA-1 power amp
VHT FatBottom 2x12
Rocktron Midimate

This rig sounds great, but there are some features in the Ultra I am wanting. And really starting to think about getting serious on the FRFR front. So now I am trying to decide whether to pull the trigger on this or not:

Axe-FX Ultra
QSC Hpr122i
Rocktron AllAcess

I'd really like to find a lighter FRFR rig. And part of wanting FRFR is the wedge, so I'm not as fired up about the Fractal offering as it appears to have a similar design as my VHT cab, ie shooting at my knees.

Back
Top Bottom