If you could do it all over again...

nextfoolmartyr

Inspired
Pretend you are me.

Just on the verge of pulling the trigger. Researching fast and furious. Trying to decide on the best way to go... Money really isnt an object because I will end up with a nice savings account addition when this is all said and done.

IF you could go back, knowing what you know now, and do it "right" the first time, what exactly would YOU do?

*I know there is no right answer here, but I'm leaning towards a certain setup, and want to see if there are others who have the same ideas... it'd make me feel better about the whole, "buy once, cry once" ideal*

Don't really know what you're asking here, but I would have gotten the Ultra. Like I did the first time. :D :D :D :D :D

This thing has been my dream ever since getting a Roland GP-8 20 years ago. If you're fishing for the accessories, which setup (amp/cab, going guitarcab/FRFR, etc.) to play it through, there are as many opninions as there are players around here.

Good luck on your quest!

If I could do it all over again, I would...

- Buy an Ultra (which I did)
- Avoid buying a power amp and a custom guitar cab (which I shouldn't have)
- Go straight to FRFR this time
- Buy two FRFR speakers, not just one
... though I have one single FRFR speaker that I like a lot, I still have not made up my mind about the second one I want to buy (or even maybe buy a pair of). Options, options, too many options.

The Axe-FX is not the destination, it's a journey. I'm still on that road of discoveries, and enjoying every moment.

Edit: forgot to discuss my floor controller... I went the cheap route (ART X-15) which I would still do all over again. I have very good success with it. Until I can afford the Lamborghini of floor controllers, the X15 is it for me.

Edit again: in case someone wants to know about that mysterious FRFR speaker that I have and like a lot... it's an ElectroVoice SXa360. But I have no other reference, so I can't talk about what it's like relative to any other contender.

I see your point.

I've been reading so much for the last few days that it all makes perfect sense to me...

I guess I'm trying to avoid any bad moves on my journey.

I am leaning towards:

Ultra
QSC Monitor
Boss FC-300

I'm guessing I'll put the Ultra in a gig bag type case. If I can find a rolling case for the QSC, I'd like that option too.

eh... I guess I was just looking for some sort of validation before I pull the trigger

:roll:

What style of music are you going for? If it's ballads and such, a QSC wedge would be great! If it's rock, it may also be enough... but if it's all out metal you definitely need something with cohones like a 4x12 (or two :D).

I have an Ultra with a QSC GX5 powering two stacked 4x12 cabs controlled by a Behringer BCF1010.

AH! I'm on studio monitors at the moment. When the need arises (i.e. I get to play out more regularly again), I will need a reasonably good monitor, hopefully the Atomic FR will be out and reviewed by then. The QSC is just a bit expensive for me in EU, and a bit heavy. BTW, the QSC seems to have quite a bit of cohones already, so that's a bit of a YMMV-thing.

For a foot controller I have the FCB1010 with the UnO chip (http://www.ossandust.be). I have five preset and five stompbox switches, which works fine for me. I'd love more, but not playing out much it's more than fine.

Yes, I'm a Tool fan.

I play in a Tool tribute band here in Houston, so you can be sure I'm headed straight to the Jones Tones Department.

I've been using a Diezel Herbert and its been fine for my needs, but the idea of being able to add that Marshall bass to the mix is giving me... well... lets just say I'm getting excited.

I have a 4x12 Mesa cab currently and the thought of just adding a power amp to the Ax has crossed my mind, but I am still leaning towards the QSC for power.

Which all adds up to why I'm hoping to get some validation... I dont consider Tool to be all-out-metal, so I'm hopeful that the QSC will deliver the goods.

I'd buy the Axe-FX. Maybe an Ultra this time (keep in mind I run very extensive patches).

I'd buy the controller I really want. If I did it again I'd go with something bigger than the GCPro. Think about what you'll need right now for the things you know you'll do, and then think about what you would need if this box opened your mind to new things. I bought what I knew I needed right then, but wasn't expecting the box to open my mind to sounds that I wasn't using before. It did just that, and now I wish I had a little more capable controller.

I'd go with FRFR (I did) because I want the extra versatility. Most often I find myself just using a provided wedge or my own in ears at a gig. You may not really need a large powered monitor. Then again, you may. It depends on the gigs you'll be playing.

I'd buy all the accessories (amplification, rack, controller, etc) used. I bought everything new so that I could return it all if the Axe-FX didn't live up to my expectations. I should have bought used and kept the extra money I saved or bought an Ultra instead of a Std or a bigger controller. Live and learn...

D

dk_ace said:
I'd buy the Axe-FX. Maybe an Ultra this time (keep in mind I run very extensive patches).

I'd buy the controller I really want. If I did it again I'd go with something bigger than the GCPro. Think about what you'll need right now for the things you know you'll do, and then think about what you would need if this box opened your mind to new things. I bought what I knew I needed right then, but wasn't expecting the box to open my mind to sounds that I wasn't using before. It did just that, and now I wish I had a little more capable controller.

I'd go with FRFR (I did) because I want the extra versatility. Most often I find myself just using a provided wedge or my own in ears at a gig. You may not really need a large powered monitor. Then again, you may. It depends on the gigs you'll be playing.

I'd buy all the accessories (amplification, rack, controller, etc) used. I bought everything new so that I could return it all if the Axe-FX didn't live up to my expectations. I should have bought used and kept the extra money I saved or bought an Ultra instead of a Std or a bigger controller. Live and learn...

D

THIS is the perfect sort of response I'd hoped for.

I hope others will share as well.

That's why I asked, I figured you'd want that 2 amps at once thing kicking, so I would suggest the Ultra.

The amps take up quite a bit of processing. I know that he's not exactly an FX junky, a bit of delay, some Univibe, or phaser (either can work, I prefer the Univibe myself) a Volume pedal, and a wha, and your good to go, but it's always better safe than sorry.

I live North of Houston, where do you play? I've been playing Tool for quite a while, and at one point though about a tribute band myself, but decided I wasn't up for it in the long run.

Maybe in 20 years or so, and Tool is to old to jam anymore. Either that, or when Adam, or Maynard has ascended to another plain of existance. :lol:

Maynard is in Sugarland as I type.

My wife is there along with my drummer.

She begged me to go but I declined for fear of him spitting on me.

The drummer said, "no way in hell I'm mentioning the band".

I told him to kiss Maynard on the cheek for me.

:lol:

We've played Fitzgeralds a couple of times. We were set for a gig at U of H but our bass player has decided that he needs to spend more time at baseball with his kids...

F*ck.

I put an ad up on Craigslist on Monday. No bites yet.

Know any bass players?

Gracias!

(the CL ad:

As the title says, we need a bass player.

Note for note accuracy is absolutely essential.

Tone/effect use is absolutely essential.

Everything else can be worked around.

http://www.myspace.com/spiralouttooltribute

Song list:

Stinkfist
Vicarious
Swamp Song
Sober
46&2
Eulogy
Aenima
Lateralus
Schism
Parabola
The Grudge
Right In Two
Jambi

It is understood that you most likely will not be up to speed on all of those songs.

Lets do this.

3n33m03l4ZZZZZZZZZ93oaca9d481542b1efd.jpg

Too bad I'm a guitarist, and only a hack at bass, or I'd take you up, I can pretty much play everything pre-10,000 Days.

I just can't seem to get the rhythms right on the new stuff. It's like he took lessons or something between Days, and Lateralus.

Well, I guess that's why after nearly 18 years of playing guitar I've finally decided to take lessons. :lol:

If I knew a bassist I wouldn't play bass at all. :D

Yes, I have seen the Maynard wine, in fact I saw it here...

http://www.caduceus.org/

Unfortunately, I try avoid alcohol whenever possible, because I don't get drunk (let's say act, and feel drunk) until it's time to get my stomach pumped. Not to mention that fact that I tend to hit on strange women in front of my wife when I'm completely gone, which, in my opinion is more dangerous than poisoning yourself. But I guess when you have German, Irish, AND Scottish ancestry, you would expect to have a bit of a resistance. :p

- Probably get an Ultra instead of a Standard.

- Get the FRFR studio monitors I am using now instead of going the SS power amp and traditional guitar cab route.

I'll answer, but I still like you're looking for the 'right' way to do things.

I went through all stages:

4 cable method.
Axe-tubepoweramp-external cab
Axe-cleanpoweramp-external cab
FRFR + Cleanpoweramp-external cab

I don't think I would have learned enough if I would have gone FRFR right away. I like the dual path of a FRFR and an external cab either way.

But I suppose if I did it again, I'd get the Ultra and 2 QSC's (if money is no consideration...)

If I had to start over, I'd most likely just end up where I am now.

I started with a tube power amp (Randall RT/2) and a 112, 212 and 412. Figured it would scalable per gig.

Ended up with the JBL PRX stuff as my first foray into FRFR... then tried a lot of stuff and landed with the QSC.

Now, I'd probably go with the Ultra just to have the MBC... and the Quad chorus. I'd have the Liquid Foot controller if I had the cash; and I'd have tried the FBT stuff for monitoring.

I look forward to checking the Fractal/Atomic powered monitor and the MFC.

Dpoirier said:
If I could do it all over again, I would...

- Buy two FRFR speakers, not just one
... though I have one single FRFR speaker that I like a lot, I still have not made up my mind about the second one I want to buy (or even maybe buy a pair of).

Couple 'O questions:

Why would you immediately go with 2? Is the stereo effect something you miss?

What FRFR did you choose and are you satisfied?

Scott Peterson said:
Now, I'd probably go with the Ultra just to have the MBC...

and I'd have tried the FBT stuff for monitoring.

I look forward to checking the Fractal/Atomic powered monitor and the MFC.

Hey Scott,

Can you spell out the MBC, FBT, and MFC so I can search what it is you reference?

Signed,

AXFXNewbie.

nextfoolmartyr said:
Maynard is in Sugarland as I type.

The wife just got home.

3 bottles of wine, 100 smacks.

Ok... no biggie... memorabilia and all.

A) Bastard signs the BACK of the bottles.

B) Bastard signs his name with a MF-ing "X".

C) I check out the "order list" she brings home (basically, "what bottle do you want, how many do you want?") and see the range of pricing from 25 to 100 bucks.

D) the little sticker that says, "by Maynard J...." is labled, "amateur wine maker".

:shock:

100 bucks for self-admittedly amateur stuff? FU.

I'm glad I didnt go and bow to his talent like so many others. That shit turns me off like you cant even imagine.

Back
Top Bottom