If there was no Fractal Audio, what would your rig be?

Wow. It's been so long. I would have to say I'd have a dual rig. Plexi type low watt (Badger?), and a clean something...Deluxe-ish. A few pedals to round out need for boost and/or harder stuff.

Or I'd get another MOD50. Loved that amp.

Ron

11 rack, pedal board, eventide h8000.

Man there is just nothing that fits my requirements better than an Axe-fx. It is just about about perfect for me!
I really hadn't realized how true that is until recently.

Im totally with you on this one, if (god forbid) there is no AXE... 11R and Eventide

I'd still have my GSP1101/FRFR

and I'd be happy because I'd know there was nothing better ;)

Cheers

I am already on my way back to the bone. Should I be able to sell my Ultra for a half decent price, it's gone.

It happened that I use very raw patches anyhow, no effects. Playing around with the bells & whistles is nice but I don't need or use them.
For recording it will be back to amp only (+IR in the DAW). Live I've never used the Axe FX (tried it once), only real amps.

Last edited:
Back to basiscs ... One of the new small channel-switching Bogners. And some Strymon / Eventide pedals I guess.
Everything before the amp, not messing with racks / loops.

Even after getting the Ultra, I'm not going to get rid of my tube rigs. I aboslutely adore the tonal versatility that comes through my Laney GH50L. Its single channel. Simple and effective. I use a few different OD pedals with it (SD1, TS9 & ZW44) and it sounds brutal with all of them.

It was a POD XT. It didn't make me smile, but my rectoverb was too loud for home use. So glad the Axe exists.

Exactly what I sold to buy the ii, mfc, & k12

Egnater mod50 head, hermida 1x12 ported cab, Tc flashback, nova delay, and hall of fame verb, creation audio labs mk4.23 boost, Roland fv50L, small clone chorus.

UGH

Most of the time I'd use a ToneKing Metropolitan amp plus pedals. Eventide Timefactor, Rat, some other drive pedal, Demeter Tremulator, Boss DD2, Boomerang III (sometimes), POG II sometimes. More pedals to taste. HK Redbox for direct signal if needed. Other tube amp and/or cab depending on situation, mostly Fender variety, but several to choose from. I need to have an Ebay amp garage sale soon.

It gets so much more complicated without the Axe. I'm living that life for a while as I sold my Ultra and have to gig without it until I can squirm my way into a II (had it in the basket, then gone yesterday).

Before the Ultra there was a couple of different ToneLabs. I liked them, especially with a frou-frou to0b upgrade.

Before that I had a ton of old amps. They all sucked. Too loud, Too expensive. Too much of a PITA to move around.
Too fragile. Too much hassle to find decent t0obs these days. Too much heartburn worrying about the escape of
the Majik Smoke. Impossible to find a decent tech who isn't coked out and/or insurmountably narcissistic. Original
parts and speakers are all gone from the planet.

Here's a shot from the amp museum. They're all gone...

allamps04.jpg

The AC30 is one of the first red panel integral TopBoost ones from 1964.

The '66 JTM45/100 on the right is 13 digits on the serial from a verified Jimi one.

Those were probably my faves out of the lot.

If there was no Fractal, I'd probably be flying the Tone Lab still. I like 'em...

Last edited:
Well the rig I had before the Ultra was:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster head w/ el34s going into a Mesa oversized recto 4x12+horizontal recto 2x12, with a Maxon OD808 in the front, and a TC G-Force in the loop. Loved that rig but it was just way too huge for me. Liked the tones better than the Ultra, but I'm willing to give the II a shot for convenience sake!

My rig was, and would be again.
Mesa 5:25 express Head with 2 - 1x10 ext cabinets, 2 Danelectro Cool Cat Overdrives, Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz, Danelectro Cool cat Vibe, Phase 90, MXR Flanger, Boss Compressor (CS-3), TC Electronics G-Major, Ernie Ball Volume pedal and controlled by GC Pro along with a GCX.

The M-4 rig Smilefan posted, I had an M-4 when they first came out coupled with a Rocktron Xpression and VHT 2/50/2. It was the best at tone versatility I had ever played through until the Axe came along.

Back
Top Bottom