If I want to play at low volume, is it better studio monitors or FRFR speakers?

Fowleri

Inspired
Let's say I'm a bedroom player, and I get an axe fx or FM3. My goal is to play at low volume, would FRFR speakers like Matrix and others work well? I read that FRFR speakers can get really loud and is hard to dial in at a low volume

Or is better to get powered studio monitors?

Generally you can pick two among: price, volume, and accuracy. If you don’t need to crank up the volume to hearing-damaging levels, then I would go with studio monitors.

For me it’s much more comfortable to sit at my desk with my monitors at a safe listening level while still moving some air, with Axe-Edit open on my monitor, dialing in tones in stereo, than having wires everywhere, finding a place for my laptop, trying to dial in tones through some cheap mono plastic PA speaker in the corner which introduces a lot of issues. In my setup everything is always connected and boots up with a single switch on my furman and I can use the studio monitors for casual music listening or general PC use. Easy for me to take the axe3 on the road as well, and doesn’t affect my home setup at all because I have a dedicated interface and record the Axe3 with SPDIF.

Generally you can pick two among: price, volume, and accuracy. If you don’t need to crank up the volume to hearing-damaging levels, then I would go with studio monitors.

This ↑. Your money will typically go more towards accuracy instead of output power with monitors. You'll often get more predictable results in a smaller room with near field monitors as well. A good set of headphones is not a bad idea as well if you have listening level restrictions like neighbors or sleeping kids in the house.

I suppose the HS5 would suffice for my purpose, small room, I don't need too much, and they're $400 on Amazon, this combined with an FM3, may total $1500?

Jbl lsr 305 mk ii are more accurate/flatter in frequency response than hs5, from my research and they are priced an absolute steal at the moment

and you can use the rest of your money for some studio headphones adding up to your 400. (Recommend beyerdynamic dt 990 pro or i personally use the akg k702)

I agree w all the above, but just to play devil's advocate, I'm playing by myself in my basement 99% of the time, but in my mind I'm jamming with friends. That and on stage is the world I grew up in, and what I'm imagining is happening around me.

In that world, I'm standing at my FC, with my speakers (2 Alessis cheapo plastic FRFRs) maybe 8-10 feet away, like I'm playing with people, and I'm not quiet. Not serious loud, but not polite stereo volume either. For that, I'm happier with a stage-like rig.

YMMV of course, and it's absolutely true that you'll get higher quality for your money if you don't also ask for some volume.

(And take care of your hearing! Don't take what I'm saying to mean any different!)

Last edited:
I suppose the HS5 would suffice for my purpose, small room, I don't need too much, and they're $400 on Amazon, this combined with an FM3, may total $1500?
I would suggest looking at the Behringer B2030a, I have personal experience with them and they sound great with the FM3/Axe III. They have a 6.5" speaker and provide plenty of bottom end and volume as well as adjustments to tune to your room. They have a very neutral sound, very close to the Event TR8's they replaced. Bought them as a cheap replacement until I could afford better ones. Wound up using them for 10+ years.

I've heard or used the Yamaha HS5, HS7 and HS8 as well as the JBL 305P and 308P. The Yamaha HS series, in my experience, is on the harsh side with ear fatigue setting in quickly with the HS8's I used. JBL's aren't bad but seemed more mids focused. If I had to get another set of monitors under $400.00, I would choose the Behringers every time without reservation.

I agree w all the above, but just to play devil's advocate, I'm playing by myself in my basement 99% of the time, but in my mind I'm jamming with friends. That and on stage is the world I grew up in, and what I'm imagining is happening around me.

In that world, I'm standing at my FC, with my speakers (2 Alessis cheapo plastic FRFRs) maybe 8-10 feet away, like I'm playing people, and I'm not quiet. Not serious loud, but not polite stereo volume either. For that, I'm happier with a stage-like rig.

YMMV of course, and it's absolutely true that you'll get higher quality for your money if you don't also ask for some volume.
Me too. My son got me a dB meter for Fathers Day, and when I play it reads between 106-111 dB. In my home studio! It feels not quite “band loud”, but close. I’m using K10.2s mounted on stands at ear level, and I stand when playing.

Jbl lsr 305 mk ii are more accurate/flatter in frequency response than hs5, from my research and they are priced an absolute steal at the moment

and you can use the rest of your money for some studio headphones adding up to your 400. (Recommend beyerdynamic dt 990 pro or i personally use the akg k702)

amazon shows that JBL for $350 the pair, is this a good deal or is supposed to be cheaper somewhere else?

Studio monitors will suffice for all of the reasons mentioned. I prefer FRFR because I can turn the volume up more though.
If there's ever a chance you'll play out, then go with the FRFR b/c then you could use it for a stage monitor.

amazon shows that JBL for $350 the pair, is this a good deal or is supposed to be cheaper somewhere else?
I just checked the price on Amazon.ca and it states they are sold as a pair for $290.99 CAD. However, multiple people stated in the reviews that they only received one speaker, not two.

Last edited:
I have pretty good monitors, scepter s6 with t10 sub, but even for real low volume I much prefer my atomic CLR.

Just has far better dispersion and punch, even barely turned up, while I need to raise the monitors a bit higher to get the same perceived volume, especially if I’m not sitting right in the sweet spot of my nearfields. Make no mistake, they sound good, but the FRFR wedge just sounds better, both loud, soft and everywhere in between

For the BT, do people get the 250 or 80 ohm for plugging directly into the Axe FX?

Why are people thinking studio monitors dont get loud? Both options can do low volume easily. Buy what fits in your budget and space.

Also this belongs in the amps section I think.

For the BT, do people get the 250 or 80 ohm for plugging directly into the Axe FX?
According to the manual, the Headphone output is rated at 35 Ω but, as far as I know, there are no special limitations or recommendations on headphone impedance. Any headphone will work.

However, if you want to be picky, they say that "most headphones work best when the output impedance is less than 1/8th the headphone impedance" (35 x 8 = 280 Ω)... but that is for audiophile petulants :D

http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/headphone-amp-impedance.html

Why are people thinking studio monitors dont get loud? Both options can do low volume easily. Buy what fits in your budget and space.

Also this belongs in the amps section I think.
I'm sure they can get loud, but most FRFRs will do more. There's also the physics involved due to speaker size. As mentioned above the FRFR will have more "punch" because you're using (most probably) a physically larger speaker. It just feels different.

Back
Top Bottom