If I want to play at low volume, is it better studio monitors or FRFR speakers?

Atleast two full Marshall stacks cranked up to 11 with the AXE plugged into the fx return. The studio monitors are the better choice, but the Marshall stacks will be fun until the police arrive.

Subs, and "pushing air", and "amp in the room" are amusing. But if you need critical listening, better use a measuring mic and a RTA software to make sure that the sub is not out of control.
But that's exactly the distinction we're talking about. Sometimes you want different things and each has it's purpose.

Yes, that was the gist of what I was saying. There is an unofficial difference between studio monitors and an FRFR, even though the studio monitors are indeed FRFR. But along with that difference comes a difference in performance just as a Doberman is a better guard dog than say a Shih Tzu. :p
right!
for these reason make sense to compare Studio monitors with stage monitors, or special designed FRFR speakers etc
Any kind of FRFR system is designed for different use.
in the last time some companies produce special FRFR speakers for digital modeler.
Headrush transformed an ALTO TS112 (an entry level PA speaker) into a FRFR for digital modelers simply changing the label...

Here is my tutorial about FRFR speaker

A pair of studio monitors give you stereo output, and like the other person mentioned, if you play along with drum tracks and such, a laptop with usb to the fractal works well. Seems like a good multipurpose solution for a bedroom player on a budget.

what I don't like tho or maybe Im mistaken is that if you have Studio monitors, they have to be connected to a audio interface that ok, the problem is where do you place this interface on the desk without annoying you?

if you place it in the middle on the desk or under the monitor, ok that's looks fine, when is time to connect your guitar cable is going to look bad and be in the way of your keyboard on top of the desk, so the only choice is to the interface at the edge of desk, so it looks weird, that how I have it set now and I don't have studio monitors which would be 2 TRT cables going into the interface

I just find it unpleasing to look at and wires hanging in front view

there is just no way to make it look clean and then you have to connect your guitar cable to the audio interface every time, if you place the interface at the back of the desk to hide the cables, then your guitar cable is on top of the keyboard, desk, it just looks ugly and inconvenient

solution is wireless system which doesn't sound as good as cable, then you have to charge the receiver every time another annoyance to deal with

Last edited:
what I don't like tho or maybe Im mistaken is that if you have Studio monitors, they have to be connected to a audio interface that ok, the problem is where do you place this interface on the desk without annoying you?

if you place it in the middle on the desk or under the monitor, ok that's look fine, when is time to connect your guitar cable is going to look bad and be in the way of your keyboard on top of the desk, so the only choice is to the interface at the edge of desk, so it looks weird
My monitors are plugged into my axefx. I select the axefx as the audio output for my computer. Done.

My monitors are plugged into my axefx. I select the axefx as the audio output for my computer. Done.

so can the monitors be connected to both the PC and axe fx? How does that work? Either way, you have to connect to Axe FX or FM3, which is where? on your desk? on another stand?

I mean I won't be buying an FM3 any time soon as first, a bigger desk, tired of using a 47" one and is old, so that's gon cost me at least $300-500 for a decent one, then I would need the monitors, another $400 easily, then I would an FM3, another $1100 or something? lol

Axe fx 3 is outside of my options, I could buy one actually, but is too expensive for me

so can the monitors be connected to both the PC and axe fx? How does that work? Either way, you have to connect to Axe FX or FM3, which is where? on your desk? on another stand?

I mean I won't be buying an FM3 any time soon as first, a bigger desk, tired of using a 47" one and is old, so that's gon cost me at least $300-500 for a decent one, then I would need the monitors, another $400 easily, then I would an FM3, another $1100 or something? lol

Axe fx 3 is outside of my options, I could buy one actually, but is too expensive for me
Monitors arent connected to the computer at all in my case. If they had 4 outputs they could be.

Axe is in a rack below my desk.

0F0CDE66-DFCD-4EDB-AA0C-D24FDA3353F6.jpeg

Either will work great... I have both and they both sound great at low and high volumes. Get a 5" or larger monitor though.. the 3" sound too small. 8" are too big to have on your desk in front of you IMO because all the frequencies can't hit your ears that close. Farther away they sound like a 4x12 at bedroom volumes.

I love my power amp and 4x12 but only after I found the right speakers for it. The key is the speakers and that is a whole other rabbit hole. With the monitors you can at least you IRs. But when you get the right speakers in your cab everything will sound good anyway.

I say get them both and see what you like. If you don't have much room or money get the monitors.

I plug the Axe Fx into a small Yamaha mixer, then the output goes to wither the ALTO floor monitor I use in gigs, or the JBL 610s we use as monitors at gigs, or the JBL 715s we use as mains at gigs, depending on what I want. I try to make sure it sounds good in opposite priorities to those listed.

if you place it in the middle on the desk or under the monitor, ok that's looks fine, when is time to connect your guitar cable is going to look bad and be in the way of your keyboard on top of the desk, so the only choice is to the interface at the edge of desk, so it looks weird, that how I have it set now and I don't have studio monitors which would be 2 TRT cables going into the interface

there is just no way to make it look clean and then you have to connect your guitar cable to the audio interface every time, if you place the interface at the back of the desk to hide the cables, then your guitar cable is on top of the keyboard, desk, it just looks ugly and inconvenient

solution is wireless system which doesn't sound as good as cable, then you have to charge the receiver every time another annoyance to deal with
Are you seriously asking for help cleaning your desk?

You put things where you want them. Done.

Hint, the guitar cable can come up behind the desk rather than over the keyboard.

But then, when you are picking up a dropped pen from the floor, you'll see the ugly cables, so...

Here we go again….lol

Ronald Mcdonald Clown GIF

And yes, you are mistaken. You don’t need a wireless system to plug in monitors. You just kinda plug them in.

Back
Top Bottom