If I want to play at low volume, is it better studio monitors or FRFR speakers?

I have my FM3, lap top and CD player going out to a Yamaha MG10 mixer, from there out to HS8's or head phones. This way I can control the volume and tone of the laptop or CD player without effecting the tone of the FM3 and my guitar. I only play at home and this works well for me. One other note I have a Yamaha sub but no longer use it, I found that I didn't need it with the FM3 for me it muddied things up more than it helped.

Near Field Monitors shall be selected according to the distance to the head. At my large studio I had Mackie HR824, but when I moved to a small room I went to the Selection Table available at the Genelec site and the reccomendation was the smallest one: the 8010A. I got these and I am satisfied. Not for saving money or space, but for common sense.

Last edited:
I play mostly at low volumes in bedroom and use a power amp and 2x12 cab. It like it best. Sound/feel/thump....just better imo

I've tried studio monitors, FRFR etc...

I’d advise you to consider investing in the best monitors you can afford, preferably something with an 8” LF driver. You’ll be spending LOTS of time with them, and better spkrs = lower listening fatigue.

When I bought my AFX2+ I rummaged around the storage room and pulled out a pair of JBL 4408a studio monitors and a Crown D75 amp. Still use it all now driven by my AFX3 OUT1 and it sounds mahvelous — and if I want add’l thump I have a Quilter 45w pedalboard amp driving an ElectroVoice EVM-12L (in a thiele-small tuned cab) coming off of OUT3. It will all get loud enough to scare the dogs/cats though I rarely do.

Why are people thinking studio monitors dont get loud? Both options can do low volume easily. Buy what fits in your budget and space.

Also this belongs in the amps section I think.
The Behringers and my current monitors, Focal Alpha 65s, both have plenty of volume. Can easily get 90+dB which, in a home music room is plenty loud.

If you want to play along with recorded tracks and hear your stereo effects in their full glory, I'd say studio monitors.

If you want the sound/feel of a point-source amp in a room, get an FRFR speaker.

Straight forward answer.. IMO, either will do just fine. Every speaker has a ‘color’... FRFR,.. and studio monitors.
Get GOOD ones... either or.
If you’re going to record... monitors. Practice... your choice.
My rig sounds very good either way... but, different.

I have a pair of Atomic CLR’s. Plus RCF AYRA PRO5 monitors (not the greatest maybe, but sound pretty good IMO).
My brother in-law is the head of sales at RCF, and he did me a solid and hooked me up with them. I was looking into the Adams A7X’s before that.
I prefer the CLR’s for just playing at home.

Why are people thinking studio monitors dont get loud? Both options can do low volume easily. Buy what fits in your budget and space.

Also this belongs in the amps section I think.
They do get loud but the volume drops off a cliff when you move out of the listening spot. Pretty much as intended.

They do get loud but the volume drops off a cliff when you move out of the listening spot. Pretty much as intended.
1/r^2? Applies to any sound source...

Or, are you thinking of the dispersion characteristics of monitors vs. FRFR?

1/r^2?

Applies to any sound source...
Which then comes back to studio monitors not having to be that powerful or big because they are designed to deliver accurate sound to the listening spot quite close to the speakers. Makers of these recommend different models for different size rooms and listening distances.

Studio monitors are FRFR speakers like all speakers who respect Full Range Flat Rate characteristics.
What should be the difference to you?
You typically position studio monitors to either side of a sitting position, say, either side of your computer screen.

Guitar speakers are, typically, on the floor elsewhere in the room.

If I want to jam with tracks, I prefer to sit in my listening position if I'm using speakers (more often I have headphones on).

Jamming to tracks using a single FRFR "back line" speaker is a different experience.

If the OP can afford a stereo pair of nice FRFR monitors (~$2,000) then maybe a good stereo listening / jamming experience could be had.

IMO, the advantage of going the studio monitor route is that you'll also have a great set of speakers to listen to music on.

The FRFR route is good if you intend to gig with that same FRFR speaker.

You typically position studio monitors to either side of a sitting position, say, either side of your computer screen.

Guitar speakers are, typically, on the floor elsewhere in the room.

If I want to jam with tracks, I prefer to sit in my listening position if I'm using speakers (more often I have headphones on).

Jamming to tracks using a single FRFR "back line" speaker is a different experience.

If the OP can afford a stereo pair of nice FRFR monitors (~$2,000) then maybe a good stereo listening / jamming experience could be had.

IMO, the advantage of going the studio monitor route is that you'll also have a great set of speakers to listen to music on.

The FRFR route is good if you intend to gig with that same FRFR speaker.

FRFR is a standard in the professional audio world who mean the capability to reproduce the audio in a range of 20-20.000 Hz with linear response.
than you can specify different use: Monitors, Stage monitors, PA, Headphone etc
In the guitar modeler worlds there are some cabinet designed to give the tipical guitar feeling (Like my Red Sound MF10) but they are still FRFR speakers like studio monitors.

Guitar folk are really strange, they call Headrush FR112 speakers a guitar FRFR speaker but it is an ALTO TS112 speaker rebranded.
This is only possible because many guitarist are not expert in the audio professional.

FRFR is a standard in the professional audio world who mean the capability to reproduce the audio in a range of 20-20.000 Hz with linear response.
than you can specify different use: Monitors, Stage monitors, PA, Headphone etc
In the guitar modeler worlds there are some cabinet designed to give the tipical guitar feeling (Like my Red Sound MF10) but they are still FRFR speakers like studio monitors.

Guitar folk are really strange, they call Headrush FR112 speakers a guitar FRFR speaker but it is an ALTO TS112 speaker rebranded.
This is only possible because many guitarist are not expert in the audio professional.
Studio monitors are for sure FRFR speakers.

I think in this context, the reference to FRFR speakers is referring to FRFR drivers in a cabinet that resembles a traditional guitar speaker cabinet.

I’d advise you to consider investing in the best monitors you can afford, preferably something with an 8” LF driver. You’ll be spending LOTS of time with them, and better spkrs = lower listening fatigue.

I’d also recommend getting the best you can afford. I’m similar to you and only play at home, so use studio monitors am really happy with them. Plenty of volume and low end, even without a sub.

I had JBL 305’s when I first got my AF3 and it sounded really good, they’re great for the price. Then I upgraded to some Adam A7x and the difference was incredible. Of course, they’re 4-5 times the price of the JBLs, but, for me, it’s well worth it.
I know money is an issue for most of us, especially in the current economic climate, so maybe try some out if you can?

I think in this context, the reference to FRFR speakers is referring to FRFR drivers in a cabinet that resembles a traditional guitar speaker cabinet.
Or just PA type speakers. The difference is mainly intended usecase which influences the design of the speaker. Studio monitors aim for accuracy at short distance, moderate volume for a couple of people whereas PA type speakers (whether they look like guitar cabs or not) are meant to be able to deliver sound to an audience at as loud a volume as you'd need.

I also agree about buying the best you can afford. I have had the same Genelec M040 studio monitors for 8 years now and expect to have them for several decades more.

I’d also recommend getting the best you can afford. I’m similar to you and only play at home, so use studio monitors am really happy with them. Plenty of volume and low end, even without a sub.

I had JBL 305’s when I first got my AF3 and it sounded really good, they’re great for the price. Then I upgraded to some Adam A7x and the difference was incredible. Of course, they’re 4-5 times the price of the JBLs, but, for me, it’s well worth it.
I know money is an issue for most of us, especially in the current economic
That can't be emphasized enough: get the best quality monitors that you can afford (make an extra effort to save as much money as you can). The Axe-FX III is not a cheap piece of equipment, and the value of the investment can be ruined with weak monitors/headphones/guitarFRFRcab

Back
Top Bottom