Ideal EQ for metal tone

Does anyone have any suggestions for the ideal EQ for metal tone? Graphic vs Parametric? How many EQs should be in my signal chain? What are some key advantages and disadvantages that one has over the other?

I hardly use eq, should be able to get from the amps, if not eq lets you find and remove or add frequencies you like. Diff between graphic and parametric, is parametric you can dial specific frequencies, and adjust the Q which will effect frequencies around the one picked, a wider Q will be more of a mound, than a spike if that makes sense.

Cut -2dB on 250hz. This opens/clears the tone 'always'. Just use the post EQ that is in the amp block.

Post Parametric EQ
Make one or two cuts with narrow Q to get rid off some 'nasty' frequencies. You'll find them putting the Q to 10 and boosting it to MAX. Then move the frequency knob around to find the most 'nasty' frequensy. You'll find them in 3kHz-5kHz area. Now just cut that frequency about 2-3dB. You can also widen the Q a bit now to 8 for example.

These are the most used EQ tweaks, that I like to do for my High Gain tones.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the ideal EQ for metal tone? Graphic vs Parametric? How many EQs should be in my signal chain? What are some key advantages and disadvantages that one has over the other?
There's a saying "there are no wrong questions" but I feel like this is the exception! :) Just kidding but I'll straighten up something.

Ideally I think it's best to try and get away with as little EQ as possible. Post or pre EQ is what I believe to be the "lazy fix" for something that most likely could've been fixed early on and most likely it would've sounded better that way. :) NEVER USE EQ BECAUSE YOU THINK YOU HAVE TO!!! If you have a good tone don't mess with it.

"Ideal EQ for metal tone?"
What kind of metal are we talking here? Dio? Iron Maiden? Metallica? Slipknot? Metalcore? Djent? All of these are drastically different guitar sounds.

"Graphic vs Parametric?"
Depends on the use case. Do you want low cut or just to shape the EQ balance? They essentially "do the same thing" so it's up to you. Which ever sounds better. :)

"How many EQs should be in my signal chain?"
If you're using good IR's and an amp that's tweaked correctly, ideally you don't need any EQs!!!

I'm sorry if this comes across as arrogant, I assure you, I'm trying to give you the most helpful answer. Don't use EQ just because someone told you to use EQ. The amp has EQ and your cabinet modeling is all about EQ. Find the correct ones and don't use GEQ or PEQ "just because".

There's a saying "there are no wrong questions" but I feel like this is the exception! :) Just kidding but I'll straighten up something.

Ideally I think it's best to try and get away with as little EQ as possible. Post or pre EQ is what I believe to be the "lazy fix" for something that most likely could've been fixed early on and most likely it would've sounded better that way. :) NEVER USE EQ BECAUSE YOU THINK YOU HAVE TO!!! If you have a good tone don't mess with it.

"Ideal EQ for metal tone?"
What kind of metal are we talking here? Dio? Iron Maiden? Metallica? Slipknot? Metalcore? Djent? All of these are drastically different guitar sounds.

"Graphic vs Parametric?"
Depends on the use case. Do you want low cut or just to shape the EQ balance? They essentially "do the same thing" so it's up to you. Which ever sounds better. :)

"How many EQs should be in my signal chain?"
If you're using good IR's and an amp that's tweaked correctly, ideally you don't need any EQs!!!

I'm sorry if this comes across as arrogant, I assure you, I'm trying to give you the most helpful answer. Don't use EQ just because someone told you to use EQ. The amp has EQ and your cabinet modeling is all about EQ. Find the correct ones and don't use GEQ or PEQ "just because".
My ideal tone would come from Sylosis - After Lifeless Years, doing my best to try and copy that. I appreciate the well thought out response and there's no need to apologize!

What do you mean?
he means use them.

i'm not sure there is a ideal EQ setting for metal tones... or any tone. it needs to work in the context of your band.

just for example, when the Tone Match feature was available in the Axe-Fx II, people rushed to get their favorite EVH or Metallica tone. they matched it perfectly, then played with their band and it didn't sound good at all. it's because that tone works for THAT Metallica recording.

Cut -2dB on 250hz. This opens/clears the tone 'always'. Just use the post EQ that is in the amp block.

Post Parametric EQ
Make one or two cuts with narrow Q to get rid off some 'nasty' frequencies. You'll find them putting the Q to 10 and boosting it to MAX. Then move the frequency knob around to find the most 'nasty' frequensy. You'll find them in 3kHz-5kHz area. Now just cut that frequency about 2-3dB. You can also widen the Q a bit now to 8 for example.

These are the most used EQ tweaks, that I like to do for my High Gain tones.
Ok, so I went into the amp block and clicked on Output EQ, I found the 250hz band and cut it to -2. It's an 8 band Var Q type.

Now I made a new parametric EQ block after the amp & cab (AMP-CAB-PEQ)

There are 5 types of frequency, gain, type, Qs. I'm a little lost at this point as to what to do. Sorry if I sound stupid.

he means use them.

i'm not sure there is a ideal EQ setting for metal tones... or any tone. it needs to work in the context of your band.

just for example, when the Tone Match feature was available in the Axe-Fx II, people rushed to get their favorite EVH or Metallica tone. they matched it perfectly, then played with their band and it didn't sound good at all. it's because that tone works for THAT Metallica recording.
Ok, so I crank the Qs (Q1-Q2-Q3-Q4-Q5) I adjust the Frequencies (1-2-3-4-5) I dial up the Gains (1-2-3-4-5) and as far as detecting frequencies goes, I only hear a variation when actually playing with the knobs but no change in the sound.

why are you cranking the Qs?
Ok, so I crank the Qs (Q1-Q2-Q3-Q4-Q5) I adjust the Frequencies (1-2-3-4-5) I dial up the Gains (1-2-3-4-5) and as far as detecting frequencies goes, I only hear a variation when actually playing with the knobs but no change in the sound.

I saw it on this thread when DropTheSun was giving me tips. "You'll find them putting the Q to 10 and boosting it to MAX."
You'll find them putting the Q to 10 and boosting it to MAX. Then move the frequency knob around to find the most 'nasty' frequensy. You'll find them in 3kHz-5kHz area. Now just cut that frequency about 2-3dB. You can also widen the Q a bit now to 8 for example.
this suggestion is to boost to max to find offending frequencies. once you find them, you cut them to get rid of frequencies you don't like.

it was not instruction to boost everything to max and leave them there.

again there really isn't any specific frequency to tell you to set. you need to determine what you want.

Last edited:
We're not trying to be difficult here RSGeneral. But a wide open question like this is tough to answer since there is no specific 'metal' tone.

There is also NO template on how to get there. Not something 'everyone' does to craft Metal tones. You won't like that answer, but you should be tinkering with Presets made by others (or factory presets). Try Axechange and Preset Exchange here and see what others do to craft a tone.

In the end it's going to be experience by trial and error. (Which means twisting dials until late in the night.) In my experience, you should be restricting what you're working on to JUST amp/cab...there are plenty of options in there without adding needless complications of PEQ blocks. You can turn to them IF you need to do finishing touches and when you're more conversant on what those do.

Good luck.

Ok, so I went into the amp block and clicked on Output EQ, I found the 250hz band and cut it to -2. It's an 8 band Var Q type.

Now I made a new parametric EQ block after the amp & cab (AMP-CAB-PEQ)

There are 5 types of frequency, gain, type, Qs. I'm a little lost at this point as to what to do. Sorry if I sound stupid.
There is some really good advice in this thread. But the best advice is to try and get as close to the sound you want without EQ. Once you are at that point then use EQ to fine tune your sound. The best place to start sculpting your tone is with the amp and cabinet. Create a preset with just an amp, a cabinet, and maybe a overdrive/distortion block. Research the amps and cabinets that the guitarist that you want to sound like uses. Start with those and keep it simple for a couple weeks tweaking a little at a time until you get close to your sound. When you are at the point where you are happy with that sound, then decide if you need to use EQ.

Edit: Also, you don't always have to boost frequencies. Cutting can often be a better solution. For example, say that your sound is real bass heavy. Instead of cranking the mids and highs, cut the lows.

Low cut and high cut in the cab block are very useful as well.

Last edited:
My ideal tone would come from Sylosis - After Lifeless Years, doing my best to try and copy that. I appreciate the well thought out response and there's no need to apologize!
That to me sounds like the classic tubescreamer into Peavey heads into V30 4x12 cabs. The tubescreamer is there to make the low end super tight and with something like the 5150 amps it'll be super tight with a lot of gain. Then the V30 4x12 cab will make things very neutral sounding. Leon's tips for low end and high end filtering are good. Also in this genre of metal people tend to add post EQ around 400hz to get rid of that "warm/fullness" to make the sound "meaner". Personally I'm not the biggest fan of this but it belongs to this genre of music. :)

Back
Top Bottom