Idea for an LED option

Robboman

Fractal Fanatic
Lots of guys use only a few presets that contain all the same effects blocks routed the same way for consistency (preset template). So I ask: If your MFC is labeled and you KNOW your effects blocks exist in your preset, do you really want BRIGHT RED LEDs blaring away at all times to tell you your effects are OFF?

How about a user-selectable option where the LEDs stay off for effects that are present and bypassed. Light up green when you stomp. Just like regular stompboxes. This would cut down on the overall brightness coming off the floor. Would solve the problem for the colorblind guys too.

Better yet... when you first select a preset, the 'present but bypassed' blocks flash RED three times (to show you they are present) and then shut off.

Of course the way it works now is awesome for unfamiliar presets, but I'd love to see this as an option.. would be extra cool if it was a 'per-preset' option.

I tend to use the same long chain of effects in all my presets but most start bypassed and stay bypassed most of the time. (I like to have them there just in case). My MFC will have almost the whole board lit up RED most of the time, with only a few GREENs.

btw, I don't even have my MFC yet (on the way) but the LED thread got me thinking..

This is a great idea! All of my presets used for my band have the same effect chain, a virtual pedalboard setup. So indeed I have allot of red staring at me. I will rarely, if ever have IA's that I don't use. The red LED's were the ones that I found were very hard on my eyes. So the ability to switch this feature off would be a very welcome change( and possibly easy to implement?)

+1

The Gordius Little Giant also allows you to choose whether LEDS should be dimmed or off, for presets switches that are not active or IA-switches that are off.

Good idea, reminds me of an old (bad) joke.
How many guitar plyers does it take to unscrew a light bulb? !00, 1 to unscrew it and 99 to say they could have done it better.
Sorry :cry:

lol...I am pretty sure one of the delays in the MFC was to get those Bicolored lights into the board.
I have a Gordius too, the dim feature is very hip. It will be difficult to cover all the bases.

That's exactly what I asked tech support for and as I stated their email did not lead me to believe that it would happen. My LFP has this option in the firmware to turn off the red led state. Very handy and all of my effect blocks are set up the same.

I dim the off LEDs on my pedal board using the PWM technique Cliff mentioned as a possible method to lower brightness of on-LEDs (in another thread) - probably could do both at the same time.

GM Arts said:
PWM technique Cliff mentioned as a possible method to lower brightness of on-LEDs (in another thread)
Maybe I'm dimmer than the LED's.... :oops: "PWM technique"???

sorry - pulse width modulation

If the LED is switch on and off at full brightness (faster enough so you can't see any flickering)it's brightness can be adjusted by how much time it's on (the width of the pulse) compared to how much it's off.

This technique can be used for both turning off-LEDs on at a dim level and for reducing the brightness of LEDs that are too bright.

If you set up the MFC so it doesnt the buttons arnt set default to "effects", but instead just sent cc numbers you get off or on, not the RED when present - as it doesnt know whats supposed to be present.

Then just assign the CCs to the relevant FX in the Axe.

Dont have my MFC yet but Thats how I see it. Im trying to overcome the problem the OTHER way. I have more than one effect set to some buttons on my All Access (so either Flanger OR Phaser for instance). The only to achieve this is to not assign a button to an effect but the a CC, then assign that CC to multiple FX in the Axe, but then you just get LEDs that are off or green.

I Open to being put right if this isnt the case.

paulmapp8306 said:
If you set up the MFC so it doesnt the buttons arnt set default to "effects", but instead just sent cc numbers you get off or on, not the RED when present - as it doesnt know whats supposed to be present.

Not sure I get this - are you saying to not use 'axe-fx mode', so it works just like a typical midi controller? That would seem to give up a lot of benefit.

If I understand, by default the MFC uses 2-way midi to detect what blocks exist in the preset and their bypass state. Blocks light up green or red depending on bypass state. This feature is fantastic, all I was suggesting was an optional, alternate way to display the bypassed blocks instead of a solid red LED, like flashing red or off entirely.

It's not just about cutting brightness but improving readibility. Personally, I already know for sure which blocks are present in my live presets, so I don't need the OFF LED state to tell me a block is not present. I'd rather have the OFF LED state indicate my effects are bypassed, instead of RED.

Besides, if you had a labeled IA switch and the block was not present, you would know it's not present as soon as you step on the switch and it doesn't light GREEN.

Just ideas..

Love the idea! The LEDs are manageable, but I am colorblind, so this kind of option would be of huge benefit to me!

Kind of.

Idont know if you HAVE to use it NOT in Axe mode, im sure reading the manual that even in Axe mode you dont have to assign the buttons to an actual effect - they are by default but you can change them. Just get you buttons to send a CC only on your buttons and assign your Effects to thoses ccs in the axe.

It shouldnt stop other 2 way info - though Im sure thats just tuner and auto patch changing. It wouldnt recognise which effects were on or off when selecting a new patch - youd have to program that manually. The only way it can do that is to assign each button to an effect so it knows what its polling, but then you get the 3 colour LED.

What Im suggesting is a work around If you dont want the red lights. Im sure its something Cliff could/would include in a firmaware update - then you could return to the standard method.

Played a stage last night where the MFC was in the dark about 1/3 the time and in bright lights the other 2/3rds.
No way to see labels when the stage is dark; LEDs are too bright.
A little stage light and things are cool. Alot of stage light and things are great.

i have an fx1 and i'm not sure i'd like the leds just lit up all the time either. the dim green on the fx1 is perfect, and the blue for the patch. having the ability to have the off unless they are ON would seem easy enough, but to dim, that sounds like it's a hardware thing.. and might be more difficult.

Back
Top Bottom