ICELAND soundtrack made with Fractals!

hmmmm I wonder...

have you tried to emulate this with cascading reverbs? I am sure it will NOT sound as good as your recordings due to the unique character you wil get out of the church space.

I just wondered if you could get into the same ballpark with cascading delays?

Do you have access to many reverbs? there are 2 in the Axe-FX wondering about outboard in the FX-Loop.

I might give it a go as I have an Eclipse in the FX-Loop of my Axe-FX and also have a Space (on loan to a buddy at the moment though)

Have been keeping a look out for a used Lexicon PCM too, but not found one at a price worth jumping on ..... so far...one day!

Edit:

Had a go..... getting some promising results... nowhere near as great as your recording though and NOT trying to copy exactly... just trying to cascade loads or reverbs and delays to see what happens....

got it to sound nice with volume swells, but pick attack makes it sucky... also need to work on the EQ as it can sound a bit mushy.

Working on getting it to sound good with and without the Eclispe.

thanks for the inspiration

Aren't you kind!

I shall try and work something into the name, though it will sound VERY different ... not trying to capture the sound just the concept

Bob, thanks for making my day with this. So amazing, one of the finest pieces of music I've listened to in the longest time. Big respect for you here :)

Bob, thanks for making my day with this. So amazing, one of the finest pieces of music I've listened to in the longest time. Big respect for you here :)

Thank you so much!

It's just fantastic for me to be able to make something and have you enjoy it that much. I'm very grateful for the diversity of people who can feel something similar to how I felt being in Iceland, the most magical and awe inspiring place I have ever visited. I was blown away last night when another fellow from India contacted me through Facebook about my music. Being in Canada and having such a connection with a beautiful person from the other side of the world is truly amazing to me.

Last edited:
Elegant Design & Customer Support

While I'm here, I would like to express my feeling to you and to Cliff of how elegant a design the internal circuit board is and also how good the customer support is with Fractal Audio.

I was noticing a hum or buzz coming from my Fractal box only when using the front panel mono instrument input. It sounded like ground hum to me and the ground lift switch didn't solve this so I wrote an email to the company letting them know.

In less than 8 hours, I received a response from Cliff. He said that he suspected it was a faulty input jack and that a new one was on it's way.

I got the new input jack in the mail, opened the Fractal Box top lid and noticed how user friendly and elegant the design of it's internal circuit board is. All of the components that could be an issue such as the input jack, the cooling fan etc. are all setup to plug into the circuit board using little plug-in jumper connections. This is amazing that these things were thought of ahead of time to make the unit user serviceable without having to send the whole thing in for minor repairs like this one.

It's truly a magnificent way to make a product and I hope other designs in the future have similar serviceability.

What is the highest quality music file/format you can get going as a download online?

I'm not feeling that MP3 is really translating the real quality of what Fractals sound like!

Hey Bob,

do you mean for sharing with others for downloading?

Bandcamp let you use different formats, you upload it in the highest quality and then it converts it to various formats for you.

personally I use AAC (.m4a) at the highest bit rate for compressed file formats and as a compromise...if I do not want to compromise I use Apple Lossless. (ALC)

There are other lossless formats FLAC, OGG etc but I do not find these as portable between devices as the ALC and AAC.

if you want to host them yourself you could use dropbox, windows Live (25GB free online).

Hey Bob,

do you mean for sharing with others for downloading?

Bandcamp let you use different formats, you upload it in the highest quality and then it converts it to various formats for you.

personally I use AAC (.m4a) at the highest bit rate for compressed file formats and as a compromise...if I do not want to compromise I use Apple Lossless. (ALC)

There are other lossless formats FLAC, OGG etc but I do not find these as portable between devices as the ALC and AAC.

if you want to host them yourself you could use dropbox, windows Live (25GB free online).

Cool. Thanks a lot. is Dropbox an online file sharing site?

Would I for example be able to load WAV files that are 24 bit 96kHz up to bandcamp? What is the format that I should convert that file to so that I get the least amount of degradation in sound quality?

What format do most people want?

Thanks again!

I'm still looking for the answer to the above question. Does anyone know?

If you do, thanks for taking the time to reply!

Sorry Bob, I thought I had replied to this, hmmmm.

dropbox is a filesharing site, but it is not a torrent illeagal jobbie...it is designed as cloud storage... sharing photos with say a family member...storing your resume somewhere safe etc.

as far as Bandcamp goes, yes you upload in a lossless format like WAV then they convert it to the other formats such as MP3, FLAC, M4A etc for you ... then your customers / downloaders can decide what format they prefer.

hope that helps and appologies for the lost reply

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply,

Have you had a chance to compare FLAC to the Apple Lossless file format? Reaper gives me the option to render to FLAC so that might be the only way to get higher quality than MP3?

What is M4A?

Wow what a beautiful soundtrack and the pics are stunning, really took me away for a few minutes.

Sounds really nice Bob. Reminds me of an ambient post-rock band I've been really into as of late, called Hammock.

Great stuff!

Back
Top Bottom