ICELAND soundtrack made with Fractals!

Great job on this! The pics and music.

I'm really happy that you enjoy it. I wanted to make it in a way that would be inviting to the viewer/listener and relaxing at the same time so you could just settle into it and by the end, your whole body and mind would be calm and at peace.

I don't have enough thumbs to give this a proper thumbs up!!!! amazing!!

Two is more thumbs than anyone has ever given before so that would be amazing for me!

I'm thrilled by your enthusiasm and I'm encouraged to make something else now.

Question:

How do you setup the right effects blocks in the Fractal box to use a seperate stereo effects process through the effects loop inputs and outputs to get the signal to follow the best path with the least amount of noise using the hardware FX inputs/outputs?

Last edited:
Hey Bob,

There are probably different answers to the same question, but this is how I do it.....

I use the "Effects Loop" block, usually post amp to send out to my Eclipse and then back into the Axe-FX Ultra.

The screenshot shows an example of how I usually set it up...

5612894185_0ab12cd3ee.jpg

the connections at the back of the Axe-FX go from Effects Send to the Eclipse In and then Eclipse Out to the "Input 2" of the Axe-FX ultra.

I was running other things in the loop this way before settling recently on the Eclipse.

There is some useful stuff in the WIKI too....

Yeks How Tos - Fractal Audio Systems Wiki

Hope that helps:D

Edit:-

It would be FAB if there were a way to incorporate the Digital interfaces into the Effects Loop so you could go digital out into the Eclipse then digital out of the Eclipse back into the Axe-FX.

would love to add a Lexicon PCMxx series to the loop at some point too.

Last edited:
Hey Bob,

There are probably different answers to the same question, but this is how I do it.....

I use the "Effects Loop" block, usually post amp to send out to my Eclipse and then back into the Axe-FX Ultra.

The screenshot shows an example of how I usually set it up...

5612894185_0ab12cd3ee.jpg

the connections at the back of the Axe-FX go from Effects Send to the Eclipse In and then Eclipse Out to the "Input 2" of the Axe-FX ultra.

I was running other things in the loop this way before settling recently on the Eclipse.

There is some useful stuff in the WIKI too....

Yeks How Tos - Fractal Audio Systems Wiki

Hope that helps:D

Edit:-

It would be FAB if there were a way to incorporate the Digital interfaces into the Effects Loop so you could go digital out into the Eclipse then digital out of the Eclipse back into the Axe-FX.

would love to add a Lexicon PCMxx series to the loop at some point too.

You really went out of your way to make this clear! I appreciate that very much. Thanks so much!

Is this only way to do this or are there other ways as well to make this configuration?

Why do you place the FX Loop block parallel to a mixer block? Why is the mixer there and what purpose does it serve for you? Is the mixer part of the standard and manufacturer's suggested configuration for running other audio devices in the effects loop?

I'm thinking about putting my mixing console in the effects loop and having a stereo microphone setup running through the console that is capturing the sound of my Fractal amp sound at the far end of the recording space (large church) and use that reverberated sound on the return so I can feed it back into the room and pick up the sound again through the church while being repeatedly fed through the real church reverberation running in the effects loop. With a mixing console connected and all the auxillary sends and returns, I could have as many layers of this reverberation happening live while I play my guitar just by sending the mixer auxillary sends and returns into each other. I think that might work well for possible future live performaces.

Last edited:
No Worries Bob, happy to help:D

Why do you place the FX Loop block parallel to a mixer block? Why is the mixer there and what purpose does it serve for you? Is the mixer part of the standard and manufacturer's suggested configuration for running other audio devices in the effects loop?

The reason I use the Mixer, is that I use the Effects Loop as 100% wet, so I use the mixer to control the amount of dry signal. i guess a volume block would work just as well. Good question what I do it this way, I think I probably did it this way and it worked for me and not really questioned why.... I will have a play and see if the volume block works better...makes it more simple

interesting idea you go going on there, would love to have the time and space to try something like that! Ever since i read about Led Zeppelin recording drums with mics in stairwells etc I have been fascinated by this stuff….. looking forward to hearing more about your experiments too!!

Wouldn't feedback be an issue though?? unless you isolate the mic feed?

I guess another way to get around that would be to split the output into different tracks?

Output 1 into the DAW track 1
Output 2 into your magic box of tricks then into the DAW track 2

I would have thought that if you used a mic in the FX Loop to pick up the Live sound then fed it back into the main sound you would end up with feedback?

Last edited:
Great and inspiring.. my Ulra is not yet in Europe avaible, but I'll be glad if you can share the Patch!!!

No Worries Bob, happy to help:D

The reason I use the Mixer, is that I use the Effects Loop as 100% wet, so I use the mixer to control the amount of dry signal. i guess a volume block would work just as well. Good question what I do it this way, I think I probably did it this way and it worked for me and not really questioned why.... I will have a play and see if the volume block works better...makes it more simple

interesting idea you go going on there, would love to have the time and space to try something like that! Ever since i read about Led Zeppelin recording drums with mics in stairwells etc I have been fascinated by this stuff….. looking forward to hearing more about your experiments too!!

Wouldn't feedback be an issue though?? unless you isolate the mic feed?

I guess another way to get around that would be to split the output into different tracks?

Output 1 into the DAW track 1
Output 2 into your magic box of tricks then into the DAW track 2

I would have thought that if you used a mic in the FX Loop to pick up the Live sound then fed it back into the main sound you would end up with feedback?

Hey thanks a lot for your quick response and for your generous compliments! I'm kind of beside myself but really happy that people are enjoying the video so much.

When the mics are more than 50 FT away and the speakers are not pointed towards them then feedback is not an issue for me.

Last edited:
Dude, no worries and thank YOU for sharing.

re the feedback.... I did not know that.... that is the sort of thing i love about these places....you learn something new every day!

....I'll be glad if you can share the Patch!!!

Agreed, BUT...

My guess is this sound has a lot more to do with the way Bob has used post production techniques and recorded the Axe-FX in the Church for that amazing reverb sound.

Just my opinion, though...

Agreed, BUT...

My guess is this sound has a lot more to do with the way Bob has used post production techniques and recorded the Axe-FX in the Church for that amazing reverb sound.

Just my opinion, though...

For this peice, that is correct. I use the Fractals to make my guitar sound like it's playing through a wall of large guitar amplifiers without pedals or effects and I run it through a public adress system in a very large church. Then I take that recording and I run it back through a mixer and into the same public address system while recording the results with a stereo microphone setup from a distance greater than 60 Meters. I repeat this process many times running the last recording I made back through and re-recording. When I get home, I go through them and pick out the one with the right balance of space and definition. Fractals make a wonderful starting place with a lot of control over the tone color of the source.

Last edited:
hmmmm I wonder...

have you tried to emulate this with cascading reverbs? I am sure it will NOT sound as good as your recordings due to the unique character you wil get out of the church space.

I just wondered if you could get into the same ballpark with cascading delays?

Do you have access to many reverbs? there are 2 in the Axe-FX wondering about outboard in the FX-Loop.

I might give it a go as I have an Eclipse in the FX-Loop of my Axe-FX and also have a Space (on loan to a buddy at the moment though)

Have been keeping a look out for a used Lexicon PCM too, but not found one at a price worth jumping on ..... so far...one day!

Edit:

Had a go..... getting some promising results... nowhere near as great as your recording though and NOT trying to copy exactly... just trying to cascade loads or reverbs and delays to see what happens....

got it to sound nice with volume swells, but pick attack makes it sucky... also need to work on the EQ as it can sound a bit mushy.

Working on getting it to sound good with and without the Eclispe.

thanks for the inspiration

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom