I use studio monitors all the time

vspinner

Quick question for all of you.

What is your main output - studio monitors, headphones...

Do you think there could be adverse affects on my monitors for the continual jamming through them? Basically am I going to lower the lifespan by alway using them as my main output?

Do you think there could be adverse affects on my monitors for the continual jamming through them? Basically am I going to lower the lifespan by alway using them as my main output?
speakers were made to be used.

what else would you do? what do you think is a solution?

Anything mechanical will break down with more use... Speakers are mechanical.

However, as Chris says, they are meant to be used... That's what you paid for ;)

Speakers are made to be used, not abused so as long as you are not pushing them to or beyond absolute capacity I don't think you have anything to worry about. Speakers also have a break in time so they definitely improve through useage during that period.

You're going to be wearing out "something" as long as you're using it. Might as well be your monitors as your headphones.... just kidding. Use them for what you got them for! Enjoy! Could be the other way around... you might not have an AxeFx for your monitors, or you might not have monitors for your AxeFx.

It's a First World Problem .... :)

Going on 6 years of having my Equator D5s on all the time. The only issue is that one of them has a wonky XLR input, but sound/volume/tone are all still awesome. If they died, I'd just get another pair. Probably Adam or KRK, but bigger woofers. Until then, they've been workhorses. Toys are meant to be played with :)

If my Event Opals were to die I'm not sure what I'd replace them with.
Do the Opals still rock so hard that nothing currently in production is in their league?

Though I do have to admit a fondness for my Event ASP8s.

If my Event Opals were to die I'm not sure what I'd replace them with.

Yep I hear ya - I am using a pair of Acoustic Energy AE1 classics. They're not made anymore, and you can't get the drivers anymore. These are my goto close-field monitors in my studio. Just think I may need to get a beater pair of monitors for messing around.

My mains are Oceanway mains.. and they're great to jam on but there expensive and loud mastering monitors..

Some people actually believe well broken in speakers, monitors, headphones, sound better? Not sure myself.

One thing important imo is having headroom above the level you listen. If you want to listen to 200watts get 400 and it extends the life span considerably.

Missing out on the Opals (too late), and not affording dynaudio at the moment - other good 8” monitors which can keep up?

Iirc, I noticed that FAS commented in the Yammy HX8s for being surpringly good for the price. They are very inexpensive but how much better if we triple or even 5x the price of those - a lot better or marginally better offerings from ...?

Some people actually believe well broken in speakers, monitors, headphones, sound better? Not sure myself.
I don't have definitive information on that either way, but I've never seen any evidence that was sufficient to convince me that speaker break-in is real.

Here's what it would take to convince me... a double-blind test with a dozen identical speakers: half of them brand-new, and half of them with 1000 hours of "break-in." And a dozen test subjects. Speakers would be played randomly, multiple times, in identical or near-identical locations in the room. The test subjects would then have to say which speakers were broken in and which ones were brand-new.

I don't have definitive information on that either way, but I've never seen any evidence that was sufficient to convince me that speaker break-in is real.

Here's what it would take to convince me... a double-blind test with a dozen identical speakers: half of them brand-new, and half of them with 1000 hours of "break-in." And a dozen test subjects. Speakers would be played randomly, multiple times, in identical or near-identical locations in the room. The test subjects would then have to say which speakers were broken in and which ones were brand-new.
what's interesting is that many people say a speaker is done "breaking in" after it's been playing music at volume in a room for a while... while they've been in that room for most or all of that time.

their ears probably just got broken in, if anything.

That almost sounds scientific. Certainly doesn't belong in a guitar forum where mystical lore supersedes everything.

what's interesting is that many people say a speaker is done "breaking in" after it's been playing music at volume in a room for a while... while they've been in that room for most or all of that time.

This.

I've had experiences where, for example, I listened to speakers I liked, then hooked up different speakers that sounded brittle to me. After a few days, I really liked the new speakers. Then I switched back to the old ones... and they sounded dark. Until a week later, when they sounded good again.

I dabbled in hi-fi stereo for several years (on the lower end of price), but in that world there are people who swear they can "hear" quality speaker cables (some going for $5,000+). One guy at a stereo store told me that the *biggest* improvement in a stereo system can be had by replacing the power cable to the amplifier. And speaker break-in is definitely part of the lore.

To my knowledge there has never been any scientific measurement nor any definitive subjective testing that shows audible effects of cables or speaker break-in or other mythical effects.

Yes, I do think we tend to adapt to the tone (system + speakers + room etc) and effectively normalize to whatever system, although there are certainly differences readily apparent when we switch to something else or A/B.

Regarding guitar tone, I've had days when my guitar tone (Axe or otherwise) sounds joyously magical and other days when the same setup sounds just meh. Subjectivity is also a big part of what we hear and enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom