I need help with recreating Yamaha SPX-90 Pitch Change C

Thanks. I did this pretty much already but maybe yours is cooler. I appreciate it simeon!

Uh, how do I drop it in? Sorry for being basic. I downloaded the file. I've tried dropping in a selected point on the grid. I've tried importing it as a preset.

I'll try to post something with me playing the Pitch Change C patch alone. I haven't e=yet imported your block, but what I've done isn't it, yet, and from what you've described I've done the same thing. I only play in stereo.

Sounds like you're after that Mike Stern, quasi-Metheny, chorusing/widening thing to me.

When I had a SPX-90 I used to do that with the Symphonic effect and/or occasionally with one of the pitch detune effects but i don't remember it being called "Pitch Change C".

At any rate, here's how I currently do sim on the Axe with the Pitch Block.

Effect Type: DETUNE
V1 Detune: -11.0 ct
V2 Detune: 11.0 ct
Level 1 & 2: 100%
Pan 1: -100, Pan 2: 100
Delay 1 & 2: 30 ms
Input Mode: Mono (I have this right after the amp Block)
Low Cut: 20hz
Hi Cut: 9999hz

But it sounds like this isn't really what you're after.

I misunderstood your phrase, "drop in the pitch block". I thought that was the block you gave me.

I believe the creating of the "test" block is just so you can locate the proper folder on your computer to put the real .blk file in.

Once the proper folder is located, the dropping in would be to put the .blk file in that folder. Then it will show up in the AE blocks library.

The Axe has all those parameters in the Pitch block Detune mode.
Although the delays start at 1ms and they are in 1ms steps... you may have to measure the SPX-90's AD/DA latency to get the "real world" numbers (I suspect them to be in the 5-15ms range). And then you are in the classic Eventide Micropitchshift ballpark.

I remembered that wrong, the Axe can do 0.1ms steps.

To attach a LFO to pitch move the cursor to Voice1 Detune and press Enter, then use LFO1 as source and set min/max to taste (like 7/9), do the same with Voice2 Detune but use negative values (-7/-9). The delays are not modifiable (yet).

I believe the creating of the "test" block is just so you can locate the proper folder on your computer to put the real .blk file in.

Once the proper folder is located, the dropping in would be to put the .blk file in that folder. Then it will show up in the AE blocks library.
Yeah, thanks. I got that far. Smart. But now I deleted the test file and dropped in the Simeon SPX90 but all I see is the test file. I emptied the trash and everything. But it still comes up as test. ????

sometimes its just simply that some boxes do these weird things that we like that is just their thing and not easily or even possibly duplicated on something else. you might get close but you also may not ever recreate it. i'm sure there are numerous things the Axe can get close to but not copy just because of the idiosyncrasies of the original unit.

Sounds like you're after that Mike Stern, quasi-Metheny, chorusing/widening thing to me.

When I had a SPX-90 I used to do that with the Symphonic effect and/or occasionally with one of the pitch detune effects but i don't remember it being called "Pitch Change C".

At any rate, here's how I currently do sim on the Axe with the Pitch Block.

Effect Type: DETUNE
V1 Detune: -11.0 ct
V2 Detune: 11.0 ct
Level 1 & 2: 100%
Pan 1: -100, Pan 2: 100
Delay 1 & 2: 30 ms
Input Mode: Mono (I have this right after the amp Block)
Low Cut: 20hz
Hi Cut: 9999hz

But it sounds like this isn't really what you're after.

I'm glad to say I was using that patch long before I knew Stern used it! I've been using it since the mid 80s, at least. Late 80s I saw him play at 55 Bar (?) in NYC. We talked between sets and he let me play his Tele. I saw his Pitch Change C and was, "Hm. That what I use!"

I got it searching for that Metheny thing. I didn't have a Lexicon Prime Time. But I got attached to that sound. Then many years ago I swore off of chorus. But after hearing some old tapes I want it back, for at least some modern jazzy presets.

I'll check out your settings Joe. Looks good.

I'm actually pretty happy with the settings I've come up with. I'm using a USA Rhythm amp, which I think approximates the one channel of my Boogie Quad. A little Dimension Chorus and a couple of delays with the Pitch Change copy Block it's pretty close.

The only thing I didn't do was the low/high cuts. And my detunings are less.

just throwing in an lfo to modulate the pitch (or the delay times, it can be done over small values) won't get you closer, necessarily. we're all just pissing in the wind unless someone can actually analyse the unit and see for sure what it's doing. a clip would be handy...especially an a/b with the axe on the same settings...

sometimes its just simply that some boxes do these weird things that we like that is just their thing and not easily or even possibly duplicated on something else. you might get close but you also may not ever recreate it. i'm sure there are numerous things the Axe can get close to but not copy just because of the idiosyncrasies of the original unit.
Exactly. This is kind of what I was saying. I'm not criticizing the unit for not being able to sound like an early 80s 8 bit multi effects box. I'm just saying that sometimes boxes do strange things or have a sound, much like analog gear does. We figure it shouldn't because it's all 0s and 1s, but how those are written makes a difference, I guess.

I can always tell the modulation of old Roland Delay units, for example. They have a sound. The Axe Fx can get close as can other units, but there's something else.

just throwing in an lfo to modulate the pitch (or the delay times, it can be done over small values) won't get you closer, necessarily. we're all just pissing in the wind unless someone can actually analyse the unit and see for sure what it's doing. a clip would be handy...especially an a/b with the axe on the same settings...

I'll try unless my wife has other things for me to do, after my practice time.

explain that you are engaged in a very important equipment analysis procedure and any chores she wants you to do will have to wait until you have completed the first cycle of testing.

no, that shit never works with me either... :)

Back
Top Bottom