I need a good vacuum for my mixer and computer

1poorplayer

Power User
My studio fell victim to some recent renovations to the house , and I have a thin coating of dust on EVERYTHING.
I'm not looking to blow the dust off. I want to suck it off. Well , ahem , let me reword that..... I'd like to "vacuum" it off. Standard vacuums tend to circulate dust and redistribute it in the air.

Do any of you guys have any recommendations for a good unit to clean electronic equipment , in a ( once ) clean environment ?

I should also add- Dyson have an accessory kit available for their little vacs, (I think it's for cars or something) - in that kit there's a flexible hose, and a great little soft brush fitting that's perfect for our expensive gear.
Thanks
Pauly

My Miele vacuum has a HEPA filter. You could run it to purify the air. I used to have the fine computer attachment but I found that moving more air was better so now I just use the vacuum nozzle with a soft paintbrush.

Any vac with a HEPA filter will work. To be designated as HEPA, a filter must have an absolute (not nominal) pore size of 0.2 micron or less. 0.2 micron will trap pseudomonas (even their progeny). Admittedly, there can be dust particles small enough to pass through 0.2 micron,(and by electronic sizes they would be huge), such particulate can stay aloft (Brownian movement) for a very long time, and travel great distances. I would vacuum as has been suggested, but I would repeat the process over the next few weeks. If you have a HEPA air purifier, I would put that in the room with your gear, and run it for a while.

When evaluating pore size on a filter, make sure to determine that the pore size is absolute rather than nominal. A nominal pore size rating is actually the average pore size (half smaller half larger). An absolute filter (for example 0.2 micron) means that the largest pore size is 0.2. This size can be confirmed with a bubble test (requires specialized equipment).

In case you are wondering, I used to supervise a pharmaceutical filtration lab (in a previous life).

Back
Top Bottom