I like my tone better then the Albums (John Cougar Mellencamp "Hurt So Good"

sarge

Power User
Got this song in my head yesterday and decided to learn it.

Decided to record it and after listening to the original recording I like my tone much better then the original guitar tone.

I think it is really underestimated how well the Axe FX (first and second Gen) do the old school tones.

Had a lot of fun with this.

Just using my Suhr classic strat and pretty much the base JCM 800 patch preset that comes with the firmware.

Last edited:
Yea, I like that tone too. Sounds awesome.

Can I convince you to lose the GIF from your signature though? :)

Yea, I like that tone too. Sounds awesome.

Can I convince you to lose the GIF from your signature though? :)

Yes you can!

Done.

I actually meant to remove it a while back. Just got lazy.

I thought it was cool, but after a while it does get annoying. Especially when I post multiple times in a thread.

That's such a warm and crisp tone! Well done!

I assume it is DI and not through a real cab?

That's such a warm and crisp tone! Well done!

I assume it is DI and not through a real cab?

Correct.

This is just a Brit 800 patch with cab 36 with the R121 Rib and cab 35 with the 67 cond.

I have the room level set to 30%

I added a touch of reverb in Reaper.

As I listen back it really blows me away that it is not a miced up JCM 800.

I love the tone. And even when I compare it against the original tone of the recording I think it sounds much better.

Excellent Sarge. I love the attention to detail where you have the guitar in one channel "looser" with less palm muting, and the other one under more control. Sounds like two different guitarists tracking it live in the studio together as a band. Your tone has more bottom, as you know. It's possible they used Tele's which would be thinner overall.

It was really nice of John Cougar to swing by and lay down the vocals like that.

I enjoyed it because we often hear mega-gain demonstrations, and I think where the modeler does a better job than anything else, and the toughest tone to reproduce digitally, are slightly broken up overdrive tones. Your track proves the Axe FX does it well, and in a mix, you can't tell the difference.

Rod

Excellent Sarge. I love the attention to detail where you have the guitar in one channel "looser" with less palm muting, and the other one under more control. Sounds like two different guitarists tracking it live in the studio together as a band. Your tone has more bottom, as you know. It's possible they used Tele's which would be thinner overall.

It was really nice of John Cougar to swing by and lay down the vocals like that.

I enjoyed it because we often hear mega-gain demonstrations, and I think where the modeler does a better job than anything else, and the toughest tone to reproduce digitally, are slightly broken up overdrive tones. Your track proves the Axe FX does it well, and in a mix, you can't tell the difference.

Rod

Surprised you noticed what I did with the different tracks. That was intentional.

When I did my first couple recordings, I found some sections sounded better when I played them a little different then the other track. To be fair most is about the same, but I intentionally play it differently in a couple areas.

John and I go way back. He was nice enough to give me the backing track here.
John Mellencamp - Hurts So Good (2) Free Guitar Backing Track

I also agree regarding how well the axe FX really does the classic rock tones and isn't simply a metal modeler. I rarely play metal with it. Metallica is the heaviest I get. And I play that sparingly.

I live on the JCM 800 and plexi patches. They simply sound SO authentic, and don't require blowing the windows out to get a great tone.

I would imagine from a programming standpoint, replicating slight breakup and the nuances that go with that would be considerably tougher then standard compressed high gain.

But I would only be guessing.

As far as them using Tele's, perhaps. But I am using a Suhr Classic with the bridge pickup. It's a single coil.

My guess. When they recorded, they used some brit amp and recorded it at a low volume. That is why it sounds so thin for them.

Mine I have the master at 12:00, so my tone is a bit warmer, though still crisp.

My favorite tone in the recording is when it is a single guitar during the verses just sort of screwing around through the chord changes.

I'm telling you, since gen 1, I turn my Axe FX on EVERY DAY that I am home.

Last edited:
Thanks guys,

I see the preset got a bunch of downloads. It really isn't much different then the base brit 800 preset.

Love those classic rock tones

Back
Top Bottom