I Have My Window Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last month we’ve gotten to open our windows as it’s been cool enough in Ft. Lauderdale to give the AC a break. I grew up in New England and lived in Maine, Nashua, NH and Rockland, MA, so I definitely know what those winters are like. School will get cancelled down here because of rain and I have to laugh after growing up, waiting for the bus in -20 degree weather with a -45 windchill.

I don’t miss snow in the least bit and will take every chance I have of avoiding New England during the Winter months. I LOVE my in-laws, who live in Hull, MA, but if I can avoid going up for Christmas, I’ll gladly take it.

It's pretty much early spring here in Greensboro,NC. Forecast shows 50's and 60's all week. Hasn't snowed even once unless you're counting flurries that didn't stick. I assume we'll get a snowstorm but we might not. While I'm enjoying a lower electric bill than previous years, I'm dreading what may be waiting for us in the near future due to climate change.

65F in the LA area this morning. I don’t know if it’s the “regular” temperature but it was fine to walk on the beach with the sun shining waiting for the NAMM to start in a couple of days ;):)

720425805479e33ab76c256bfde9c6c2.png

I'm in Oregon, fighting a flu bug, looking at 8 invhes of snow outside and wondering if I'll be able to get over the mountains to the south for a trip to SoCal I was planning on Friday. We'll see if I get healthy enough and see how the road conditions are by then.

And it's pretty much a guarantee that the conditions will flop-flop from West Coast to East Coast and everything in between over the next 2 or 3 months. I know I'm in one of those basins with an elevation of 4000 feet and they always say "Welcome to K Falls! If you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes."

Hooray climate change :cool:

This isn't climate change, this is just weather. Climate change is much slower than this, much more insidious. Like 2 degrees Celsius in a hundred years slow. The main danger is that some parts of the human food chain can't tolerate those 2 degrees. Humans will be just fine, as long as they don't starve. In 20-30 years we'll have viable fusion reactors and there will be no sane reason to burn hydrocarbons anymore.

This isn't climate change, this is just weather. Climate change is much slower than this, much more insidious. Like 2 degrees Celsius in a hundred years slow. The main danger is that some parts of the human food chain can't tolerate those 2 degrees. Humans will be just fine, as long as they don't starve. In 20-30 years we'll have viable fusion reactors and there will be no sane reason to burn hydrocarbons anymore.

It is an effect of climate change. The temperature rise over the last hundred year was "only" about 1 degree celsius, but the rate will increase.
"Humans will be just fine, as long as they don't starve" is actually really funny :D

Why is it that when it gets colder somewhere it's not an effect of climate change, but when it gets warmer it's "climate change"? The upward trend is clearly there, no question about it, but it's much too slow for us to notice anything different from year to year. You're going to tell me that Cliff has his window open because it's 0.02 degrees centigrade warmer outside on average? Please.

This is a dramatization but it’s based on a true story.

I'd be fine believing all those dire prognostications if they had skin in the game. I.e. you're a climate scientist, you say "science is settled", and you project that in 20 years something concrete and catastrophic will happen and it does not (which BTW, historically it usually doesn't), you go and spend a few years in jail. That'd tone down the rhetoric considerably and bring it back into the factual realm where we can actually work on concrete solutions to issues.

Right now, though, there's every incentive for predicting doom and gloom and no downside at all (in fact you could be kicked out of the profession if you don't do it), so half the country believes we're all going to be dead in 12 years because cows fart. You're not going to get meaningful policy out of this. You can get a binary, extreme choice instead: if the "greens" prevail we shut down our economy and that does nothing anyway because everybody else burns coal. If they do not, everything continues down the same path it's been going for the last 100 years, and in another 30-50 years we'll start to really feel it, but by then it'll already be way too late, barring some dramatic technological breakthrough in atmospheric carbon capture (and energy generation which will be required to power carbon capture).

The only way out at the moment seems to be in nuclear, but that's not happening either, which indirectly tells me that the situation is not as fatal as the prognosticators imply. Because if it was, really, unequivocally a matter of survival, we'd be launching a nuclear reactor a month from here on out, and encouraging others to do the same. Not to mention Barack Obama (who should be more reliably informed than any of us here) would not buy that beachfront property on Martha's Vineyard.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be fine believing all those dire prognostications if they had skin in the game. I.e. you're a climate scientist, you say "science is settled", and you project that in 20 years something concrete and catastrophic will happen and it does not (which BTW, historically it usually doesn't), you go and spend a few years in jail. That'd tone down the rhetoric considerably and bring it back into the factual realm where we can actually work on concrete solutions to issues.

Right now, though, there's every incentive for predicting doom and gloom and no downside at all (in fact you could be kicked out of the profession if you don't do it), so half the country believes we're all going to be dead in 12 years because cows fart. You're not going to get meaningful policy out of this. You can get a binary, extreme choice instead: if the "greens" prevail we shut down our economy and that does nothing anyway because everybody else burns coal. If they do not, everything continues down the same path it's been going for the last 100 years, and in another 30-50 years we'll start to really feel it, but by then it'll already be way too late, barring some dramatic technological breakthrough in atmospheric carbon capture (and energy generation which will be required to power carbon capture).

The only way out at the moment seems to be in nuclear, but that's not happening either, which indirectly tells me that the situation is not as fatal as the prognosticators imply. Because if it was, really, unequivocally a matter of survival, we'd be launching a nuclear reactor a month from here on out, and encouraging others to do the same. Not to mention Barack Obama (who should be more reliably informed than any of us here) would not buy that beachfront property on Martha's Vineyard.
Someday in the not-too-distant future someone will ask “How did we get here and why is the family cat on fire?” and I will produce this post as Exhibit A.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom