I get feedback when I stop playing on some of my rhythm patches???

jerotas

Experienced
Even if I'm using headphones and the guitar doesn't hear any of the amplified signal. Very very weird. Even if I crank up the noise gate I still get a quick high-pitched whine and then it's cut off by the gate.

Any idea how to get rid of it?

Edit: it only happens on my Ibanez. The other guitar doesn't have the problem at all. Both guitars have humbuckers from the same company...

Can you provide a recording? Sounds like some resonance with the trem springs or perhaps the strings above the nut.

String vibrating behind the nut?

Behind the nut - you mean on the headstock? No. But on certain notes my bridge vibrates with a buzz sound...

This is an Ibanez S470, it has locking nuts (which are locked of course) and a Zero Resistance trem (don't really like the bar much).

Can you provide a recording? Sounds like some resonance with the trem springs or perhaps the strings above the nut.

2 of my 3 trem strings are those black coated ones. They don't really make noise at all, that's why I bought those. But if you don't leave one uncoated one, you get grounding problems.

Behind the nut - you mean on the headstock? No. But on certain notes my bridge vibrates with a buzz sound...

This is an Ibanez S470, it has locking nuts (which are locked of course) and a Zero Resistance trem (don't really like the bar much).

Put plastic medical tubing inside your tremolo springs to deaden them. My S570's springs used to do exactly what you describe.

Put plastic medical tubing inside your tremolo springs to deaden them. My S570's springs used to do exactly what you describe.

So that's only necessary for my Ibanez and not my other Floyd-equipped guitars? Why might that be?

How exactly do I put the tubing inside the spring? Are you saying on the inside of the spring only or what?

Yep, inside the spring. They're hollow. Get a piece of tubing from your local hardware store that will fit inside. Cut slightly shorter than the length of the relaxed spring. Insert. You should be able to do this without even removing the springs.

Yep, inside the spring. They're hollow. Get a piece of tubing from your local hardware store that will fit inside. Cut slightly shorter than the length of the relaxed spring. Insert. You should be able to do this without even removing the springs.

I'm inserting an intact section of tubing cut to lenght eh? Would have to be a pretty precise diameter to get in there and not slide around I think. What do you push it in with a tiny screwdriver or something?

Also, those coated springs I think are meant to solve the same problem. So do I only need to do the one uncoated spring?

Last edited:
lol...I misread that as coated "strings". To solve your grounding problem, just strip the coating off were the spring hooks into the trem block. I guess the tubing will accomplish the same thing as the coated spring, but maybe more so. The fit doesn't have to be snug. It just has to fit inside the spring. Anything to stop them from vibrating.

A quick and dirty to see if it's the trem springs is stick some foam underneath the springs between the springs and guitar body. I typically use a chunk from Seymour Duncan pickup packaging.

lol...I misread that as coated "strings". To solve your grounding problem, just strip the coating off were the spring hooks into the trem block. I guess the tubing will accomplish the same thing as the coated spring, but maybe more so. The fit doesn't have to be snug. It just has to fit inside the spring. Anything to stop them from vibrating.

Right on, will try. I tried using all coated springs and scraping off the end, but it didn't behave as expected so I left one uncoated spring and that worked. I'll try the foam test the next guy said too :)

I'm not sure if it's only the bridge pickup or both that have the problem, I didn't try neck.

Update on the situation. I looked and both springs on the trem are coated and didn't have the coating scraped off at all. So I took care of that on both ends of both strings. No improvement in feedback. Strangely, I can play on my gigging powered monitor with no feedback problems at all. But the second I plug in to my MOTU and go through my studio monitors (or even with them off) the feedback starts. Both pickups.

I also tried not using the MOTU and going straight from Axe-Fx to my studio monitor. That also produces the feedback....they are they $350 per speaker Yamahas that everyone has these days. Taking down the output volume of the Axe-Fx or turning down the guitar's tone knob both seem to improve the situation, but I'm not clipping the inputs at all so I don't know why that matters...

But my other guitar has no problems either way. Should I still try the foam and/or tubing trick? I don't have any non-coated springs of the same length, I checked.

Actually having no guitar plugged in makes the feedback too (lower pitch). Plugging in Ibanez makes high feedback, pluggin in McNaught makes zero feedback.

Weirdest thing I've encountered in years.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom