I feel GAS coming on

Actually, spoke too soon. It's FW800. You'll also need a 800/400 cable.

I'm guessing it will be overpriced
Is anything Apple NOT overpriced ??
For example, I have an iTouch 64GB that I acquired at least 2 yrs ago.. I paid $399. They STILL sell for around $370 !!
The one thing I DO like about apple is that they WORK with each other. Interop is good, but interop with non Apple hardware is a 1st class PITA. But again, once it works, it works.

I'm not about to jump on the new Mac Pro 'cus it looks cool. Windows with 4K displays are cool too - but just as pricey.

That new Mac pro is one cool looking computer. Paint it candy apple red, glue a beak on it, and find a clear plastic sphere to set on top. Then call it Mac Servo.

On a serious note, I think my next Mac will be the non-retina 15" MacBook Pro. The retina MBPs are nice, but expensive to get one with decent amount of ram & SSD.

It's really encouraging to see something so different and innovative coming out of Apple following the unfortunate death of Steve Jobs. Perhaps this has been on the drawing board for a few years, but I take it as an encouraging sign.

Terry.

As a long time PC user, I gave Mac a shot about a year ago. I will never go back to PC (Microsoft) Yes they cost more, but you get so much more. I can't wait to see one of these!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the things I like about my current Mac Pro is the internal hard drive bays. (4 of them) I love the look of the new Mac Pro, but I don't like the prospect of having my necessary storage drives sitting outside of the computer. Might just be my personal preference though.

Apple have rarely introduced a price hike on new models of a product, redesign or not. It will be in line with the former Mac Pro's pricing.

can't see the point of making it a cylinder shape.
probably would work out more cost effective to put together a quad xeon workstation with tesla gpus, and spec it up much higher than the mac.

Is anything Apple NOT overpriced ??
For example, I have an iTouch 64GB that I acquired at least 2 yrs ago.. I paid $399. They STILL sell for around $370 !!
The one thing I DO like about apple is that they WORK with each other. Interop is good, but interop with non Apple hardware is a 1st class PITA. But again, once it works, it works.

I'm not about to jump on the new Mac Pro 'cus it looks cool. Windows with 4K displays are cool too - but just as pricey.

If by "cool" you mean "shows nosebleed font sizes in all apps that matter", then I guess you're right. Unlike OS X, Windows doesn't have OS-integrated application scaling. It's a pretty safe bet that by the time this comes out in September or so, it will be the only machine actually usable with a 4K display. And they'll release an "overpriced" 4K display to go with it, mark my words.

can't see the point of making it a cylinder shape.
probably would work out more cost effective to put together a quad xeon workstation with tesla gpus, and spec it up much higher than the mac.

Scroll down the page I linked to in my OP. You'll see why it's cylindrical. It's basically one massive heatsink inside with a single low RPM fan on top.

Back
Top Bottom