I can hear hum from my combo

The Humbuster cable is meant to be used on the OUT2 (send) output.

Depending on certain ground problems the Humbuster cable will not solve every problem, but based on the OP’s original description of the hum not being extremely severe it seems like the Humbuster cable will be the easiest, quickest and inexpensive first step. On a certain level understanding electron flow and the potential between negative and positive charge is not hard, but it is very necessary to understand it thoroughly and precisely to not make mistakes in assessing problems.
yes, I know humbuster cable is only for Out2.
But yy46 clearly said that there was hum also on the XLR Out (out1).
I've had the same thing going on.
So, as I said, humbuster cable doesn't fix the problem.
In my case (hum on out 1 and out 2 and I tested this with a FRFR Cab with both input types) a FM3 system reset fixed it.
I've read this tip somewhere here in this forum.

In my case (hum on out 1 and out 2 and I tested this with a FRFR Cab with both input types) a FM3 system reset fixed it.
Well, I’m not going to get into a huge discussion about your particular situation, but the fact that you were having ground loop issues (if the noise you were experiencing was actually ground loop related at all) connecting to a self powered FRFR cab from from balanced OUT to balanced IN using balanced cable is unusual (unless the mains being used was highly incorrect) and a system reset is an unusual fix.

My main point is the OP is trying to do something that is not uncommon and creating a ground loop is also not uncommon. He stated that he was using out2 (which is the recommended way) and was getting noise. The Humbuster cable is the first recourse. It would be nice if the OP had a quality transformer isolated DI or splitter box by a company like Lehle handy because he could diagnose the problem immediately. I would recommend anyone messing with amps and other mains powered equipment together have one or two. However, Fractal anticipated these issues and designed in a safe fix for most cases. Especially for any region with modern day generated power and properly grounded mains.

Finally my question would be as far as a system reset resolving your issue; what did you determine was changed or altered by the reset that fixed your problem?

I never said that it was a ground loop problem.
In fact my question - whether there is hum on Out 1 - was the check whether it is a ground loop problem at all.
In my opinion it is not (or at least not only) a ground loop problem.
I'm not a software engineer. I can't tell you what the problem is.
Perhaps it comes with a firmware update or with an imported preset or something else.
I don't know.
What I know - in my case - it was solved with a FM3 System Reset.
If yy46 wants to go with humbuster cable (or better something like Behringer HD400) - I'm fine with it.
It's always good to have something like this.
But it does not solve the problem with the hum on out 1.

Last edited:
Thats true, if I unplug all cables from fm3 then amp is quite. When plugged to fx send or xlr out1 then I can hear some hum that’s not dependent from volume setup by both knobs.
I will try will humbuster cable first, try Thursday (rehearsal day ) with another amp…
thank you all for your input , much appreciated

My FM3 when I play at home is plugged into the return jack on a small combo amp (bypassing the cab block and plugging in OUT2) and I hear a faint hum.

• When the amplifier is on and FM3 is on - I hear noise, whether the potentiometer is at min or max, (I know I should be at max) either way, the point is that the level of the signal does not affect the volume of the noise. It doesn't matter if the selected preset is clean or hi-gain, the guitar is muted and the noise is still there.
  • When the amplifier is turned on and the cable is removed from the FM3 side - there is no noise (the amplifier itself does not generate noise, even with the cable)
When I start to play, I can't hear the difference anymore, even when I play quietly, the noise can't be picked up. It's more that it's annoying when in an empty room the guitar is turned down and all you hear from the speaker is hum... And also I know that my guitar is not clean anymore...Its hum added to my entire guitar sound.
Maybe it's a simple thing and I don't know about it.
I was thinking about cable but with bad cable It should be worst when potentiometer is max, volume actually doesn't matter
It looks like FM3 generates some extra something that translates into hum/noise.
Is that normal? Do you have any idea how I can fix it?
i
i have had loads of probs lately with noise coming my gear and it ended when i switched off my wifi router

i

i have had loads of probs lately with noise coming my gear and it ended when i switched off my wifi router
My router was 20ft away but i think coz its an old house and the wiring is prehistoric. I think thats why. Certainly switching it off did the trick for me but most people cant do without the Internet but i can. Hope its all sorted

For reference, for anyone searching for the solution to this problem, FAS has a Humbuster cable:

FAS Humbuster Cable

When used with the specially designed Humbuster audio outputs of Fractal Audio Systems products, Humbuster cables reduce the hum caused by ground loops. Use a Humbuster Cable whenever possible between the 1/4" outputs of your Axe-Fx II or FX8 and devices like preamps, power amps, guitar amplifiers, etc.

These high quality cables have a nice flexible feel, with endplugs heat-shrinked for maximum durability. The heatshrink is color-coded, so you can easily find the black end to connect to the Humbuster output of your Fractal product and the blue end for your amp or other device.

Available in 15 ft. and 30 ft. lengths (please select before adding to your cart).

Back
Top Bottom