I bet I can't get a great answer to this one, but here goes.

BRILLIANT Idea!!

No it isn't. It's one of the lazier ideas I've had. I don't like it: It's dirty engineering, and I should be ashamed of not actually working on a proper solution.

A better hardware hack would have be to build a board that sits in between the switch/LED PCBs and the master board.

create another wish thread in the MFC Wishes sub-forum ASKING for the feature. that's probably the best way to get support for this request and we'll see if Fractal can do anything about it..

I've done this a few times over the last 2 years.. and never got a reply..
even before scenes came about [back in fw 5.07], I was creating multi-function presets that work in a similar way to scenes but via modifiers.. essentially, preset changes between songs, tone changes within the same preset mid-song
I've been "wishing" for an IA's to the front, presets to the rear MFC feature..
if this actually gets sorted I'll be a very very happy pixie indeed..

to overcome this, i've lately gone to a bank size of 0 meaning none of the IA switches are/can be presets. i could make the first row Scene changes if i wanted. i actually make the 2nd row scenes, and the first row are general MIDI commands to control external gear like my iPad lyrics or my VoiceLive Rack. the Bank Up/Down switches change presets one by one in order. i use the Swap function on the Axe to re-order my presets in the order i need for a show or in general.

what I did to overcome this [and it works beautifully] is to designate preset slots in the Axe 0 thru 4 as the "performance area"

on the MFC I have
row1 = scenes 1 thru 5
row2 = IA's for modifiers / individual fx
row3 = PGM 0 thru 4

I simply load into the Axe preset slots 0 thru 4 with the presets [live or practice] that I need for whatever band / project I'm working on at the time
power up.. hit reveal on the MFC, and then I don't need to hit it again..
I can now switch scenes, on/off some specific fx and switch between presets 0 and 4.. all "one touch"

Last edited:
This feature has been officially in the pipeline since about 2.12
Now that the Mk III is out we can pick up and try to make this happen.
I've just dusted off the spec.

It is a doozy, and MFC backups from previous versions would most likely not be compatible with the new version.

Awesome news this would be great. I would love the configuration where row 3 would be presets , row 2 IA and row 1 the scenes.

This is awesome. You what would be even better? The long ago fabled Expansion Unit...

...any chance any time soon?

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Great, I've been looking forward to this as a Scene user

Seems perfectly logical to have the most commonly used switches nearest you.

It is far easier to use the front row of switches than all the ones above.
For that reason we put all our presets in reverse order. It's much harder to push the "up" button than the "down" button, since the down is on the bottom. So now the players push the "down" button to get to the next song. Much easier.

Is the work being done on the firmware to allow repositioning of the buttons on the right side? Because that would solve my problem too and allow us to have the presets in normal order. (Not that it's a huge issue)
What exactly is Cliff and Matt proposing?

You can actually get around this by changing bank size to 0 and using the top row of IA's to direct access presets. Granted, it doesn't bank up/down, but that's only necessary if you have more than 5 presets you need to access. I don't use stompboxes anymore because scenes are far more powerful, so 17 IAs - 8 scenes, leaves you with 9 switches for presets, tap tempo, and tuner. I use 5 scenes, tap tempo, tuner, whammy, and everything else is presets.

You can actually get around this by changing bank size to 0 and using the top row of IA's to direct access presets. Granted, it doesn't bank up/down, but that's only necessary if you have more than 5 presets you need to access. I don't use stompboxes anymore because scenes are far more powerful, so 17 IAs - 8 scenes, leaves you with 9 switches for presets, tap tempo, and tuner. I use 5 scenes, tap tempo, tuner, whammy, and everything else is presets.

very similar to my solution.. but I have a bank size of 10 and leave reveal on..
works a treat don't it..
provided you don't need more than 5 presets..
been practicing with this all week and loving it..
so now I know that when M@ and co come up with the solution for PGM changes in the rear row I'm gonna settle right in all nice and snug..

very similar to my solution.. but I have a bank size of 10 and leave reveal on..
works a treat don't it..
provided you don't need more than 5 presets..
been practicing with this all week and loving it..
so now I know that when M@ and co come up with the solution for PGM changes in the rear row I'm gonna settle right in all nice and snug..

So are you saying that when reveal mode is enabled, the second row of the IA switches remains presets 6-10?
Can you please explain to me how to do that?
Thx,
jimnov

Last edited:
So are you saying that when reveal mode is enabled, you can program ten of the IA switches to be presets?
Can you please explain to me how to do that?
Thx,
jimnov

Hmm, this sounds like quite a clever trick. You can set your bank size on the MFC to pretty much whatever you want from 0 to 15 (MFC-101 Tips - Axe-Fx II Wiki). If you set it to 10, it means that the first 10 buttons select preset 1-10, bank up selects 11-20. When you press reveal, it will switch to an alternate function on the MFC. I currently have a bank size of 5, and the first 5 IA’s setup as Scene 1-5. So when I press reveal, I select scene 1-5, and when reveal is disengaged I select preset 1-5 on IA’s 1-5. I’ve always thought that reveal would switch to the alternate function for all IA’s that are preset selectors (the bank size). But it sounds from the description in the original post that reveal on switches to the alternate function only on IA’s 1-5. I would consider this a bug if that’s how it is, but in this case quite a useful one.

With a bank size of 10 and reveal engaged with IA 1-5 programmed as Scene 1-5. That would mean that IA’s 6-10 would select preset 6-10. So if you set your main 5 presets to 6-10 you would select them on row 2 of the MFC and the specific scene on row 1. Hmm, I need to go and check this out...

Update:

Ok, I’ve just check this and what’s being described does not work for me. I set the bank size to 10 and hit reveal, buttons 6-10 did not select presets 6-10 as described, so the MFC works as it “should" and not as described by Clarky, at least not for me. Maybe he’s using a different firmware.

It would still be a great addition to be able to use presets selected on row 2 though.

Last edited:

It is a doozy, and MFC backups from previous versions would most likely not be compatible with the new version.
Any betas yet? It sure would be nice to be able to reverse the bank up/down buttons!!

Any update on this great feature?

Back
Top Bottom