I am looking for a good electric piano for home use

I want to add an electric piano to my home "studio". I like the Fender Rhodes in the past and if the new models weren't $10k would maybe look into it. I am not really looking for the synth stuff, just a piano that sounds more acoustic than digital. Does anyone here also play piano, and if so, does anyone have any recommendations? I am willing to spend a few thousand and have looked at Nord but really the only Nord I have seen that comes close to having more acoustic piano sounds is the Nord Grand, the Piano 5 sounds a bit too digital to me.
Any suggestions or input are appreciated. I initially thought of just buying a cheap starter piano but I prefer something that would be better quality and sound.
Going back to your original post ...

I think if you want something that feels like a piano, it might be a good idea to focus on finding a keyboard that  feels right to you.

Even acoustic pianos can vary widely in feel between brands, models, size, etc. Same for MIDI controllers - at least between fully-weighted, semi-weighted, synth-action, etc.

I think you'll likely be happy with a keyboard that you like the feel of that has a few basic sounds you like, with MIDI or USB connections. You'll enjoy playing it as-is and can add more options for sounds later if you like.

I think if you want something that feels like a piano, it might be a good idea to focus on finding a keyboard that  feels right to you.

Even acoustic pianos can vary widely in feel between brands, models, size, etc. Same for MIDI controllers - at least between fully-weighted, semi-weighted, synth-action, etc.

I think you'll likely be happy with a keyboard that you like the feel of that has a few basic sounds you like, with MIDI or USB connections. You'll enjoy playing it as-is and can add more options for sounds later if you like.
Exactly! That is where my focus is now. You said it well.

Why would anyone buy a digital piano without a pitchbend and modwheel even if it is midi capable?
Not everyone who dabbles in keyboards uses them or finds them to be a necessity, it certainly wasn't something I considered when purchasing the Yamaha. That said, the DGX-660 does have a pitchbend wheel. I also have a Korg TR-61 with pitch and mod lever that I use as a MIDI controller as well. I recommended the Yamaha due to the weighted keys and better piano sounds.

OK, one final comment and then I promise to take my confusion offline!
So may choices: (1) midi vs. "piano" (2) number of keys (3) market orientation: home, stage, studio ... (4) variety of sounds/features (5) etc.
For me, having researched extensively I do want to learn to play the piano, but I also do want to create sounds. Theoretically a piano and a synth would be optimal. But my budget is limited and I don't trade or move up as time passes. I want something that I can keep long term and that will support me as I become more proficient.
So, ridiculous as this may sound, I am thinking investing more than I originally hoped, for something that is high quality and will last.
Just wondering how crazy it sounds to be looking at the Nord Piano 5 and the Roland RD-2000. I know there are lots of other expensive and high quality options, but these two appeal to me. Nord for it's handmade quality, and Roland for it's sound and reliability, having been around since 2017.
Anyway, I promise to go away after this, just wondering. My problem is there is nowhere to go to play and compare these instruments. Nobody really has them in stock, on the floor. I would be willing to pay the premium for the Nord if I was "sure" it would serve my needs and desires, but who knows without seeing it. I did play a Nord synth a while ago and was impressed, but that is a completely different animal.
Thanks and sorry to be so wishy washy. If I knew more, or had hands on access to more options, I would do this completely offline and not bother everyone.

One more thing to consider… Analysis paralysis, forthcoming…

Modern DAW’s like Logic come with virtual instruments for synthesizers ie Alchemy. Native instruments comes with Massive (incl w/ Kontroller). These are very powerful tone generators. Loads of great presets.

I’ve owned a ton of tone modules; synthesizers, sample-based, wave shapers, perc, piano, symphonic, etc.

For now I’m very happy with what’s free out of logic. Samples could be better, but the synthesis is pretty cool.

all that being said… There is something to be said about not having to turn on the DAW to play.

Happy shopping!

OK, one final comment and then I promise to take my confusion offline!
So may choices: (1) midi vs. "piano" (2) number of keys (3) market orientation: home, stage, studio ... (4) variety of sounds/features (5) etc.
For me, having researched extensively I do want to learn to play the piano, but I also do want to create sounds. Theoretically a piano and a synth would be optimal. But my budget is limited and I don't trade or move up as time passes. I want something that I can keep long term and that will support me as I become more proficient.
So, ridiculous as this may sound, I am thinking investing more than I originally hoped, for something that is high quality and will last.
Just wondering how crazy it sounds to be looking at the Nord Piano 5 and the Roland RD-2000. I know there are lots of other expensive and high quality options, but these two appeal to me. Nord for it's handmade quality, and Roland for it's sound and reliability, having been around since 2017.
Anyway, I promise to go away after this, just wondering. My problem is there is nowhere to go to play and compare these instruments. Nobody really has them in stock, on the floor. I would be willing to pay the premium for the Nord if I was "sure" it would serve my needs and desires, but who knows without seeing it. I did play a Nord synth a while ago and was impressed, but that is a completely different animal.
Thanks and sorry to be so wishy washy. If I knew more, or had hands on access to more options, I would do this completely offline and not bother everyone.
It's not easiest to choose keyboard / synth staff.
And it's good to look, check and take time and when you feel surely what is the most suitable for your needs then that's it.
Happy Hunting ;D

Ok - Pretty outdated thread, but had I seen it back then: I'm an experienced piano, Rhodes, keyboard, etc player. There is no question in my mind that Keyscape with a decent computer, and the midi controller of your choice is the total way to go. The quality and sounds of soft synths is amazing, and the range of instruments you get is only limited by what you want, and/or want to do. If you're in to music and any kind of recording, or even just playing for pleasure, I'd skip the digital pianos - you'll eventually wish you had the setup I describe above. If you don't have studio monitors start out with headphones, and then grow into some powered monitors. Personally I use an old Yamaha MOTIFES 88 weighted keyboard, which is/was a full blown work station, but I only use it today for the weighted keys, as the sounds coming from soft synths on computer are far superior.

Ok - Pretty outdated thread, but had I seen it back then: I'm an experienced piano, Rhodes, keyboard, etc player. There is no question in my mind that Keyscape with a decent computer, and the midi controller of your choice is the total way to go. The quality and sounds of soft synths is amazing, and the range of instruments you get is only limited by what you want, and/or want to do. If you're in to music and any kind of recording, or even just playing for pleasure, I'd skip the digital pianos - you'll eventually wish you had the setup I describe above. If you don't have studio monitors start out with headphones, and then grow into some powered monitors. Personally I use an old Yamaha MOTIFES 88 weighted keyboard, which is/was a full blown work station, but I only use it today for the weighted keys, as the sounds coming from soft synths on computer are far superior.
Thanks for the info! And no worries on finding the thread later, I appreciate your input. Do you have any suggestions as to midi controllers? I was hoping to not spend a great deal initially as I don't have enough experience to establish preferences yet.

I've also been researching a similar buy.

At the moment, I'm looking into the Casio Privia S1100 and S3100. 88 fully-weighted keys, good variety of sounds, and compact for a full-size keyboard. Can also be connected to MIDI sound modules or to computer via USB to play virtual instruments. Cost is well under $1k US.
We had a first gen Privia for about 500. Great for the money and had midi but was, well, not much money so not much great. Went to a lower tier Yamaha, is way better at twice the price but no midi. There are of course much better Yamaha's. My unbelievably good Jazz pianist nephew swears by them. Pianist in my band swears by Nord Stage. Got red cables everywhere to stay in theme.

We had a first gen Privia for about 500. Great for the money and had midi but was, well, not much money so not much great. Went to a lower tier Yamaha, is way better at twice the price but no midi. There are of course much better Yamaha's. My unbelievably good Jazz pianist nephew swears by them. Pianist in my band swears by Nord Stage. Got red cables everywhere to stay in theme.
What's the model of the Yamaha you like?

I have to agree with this advice - don’t buy a keyboard for sounds, absolute make your choice on how it feels. the reason i like and use my Yamaha Motif88 is that it’s weighted, feels great, and is of course 88 keys. I reread your post, and if you have 1k or more to invest, then you should be able to get a nice weighted keyboard controller. I’d definitely get 88 keys if you have real piano interest.

You also mentioned Rhodes sounds, and I love playing Rhodes, electric pianos, etc on weighted keys. The only time I maybe have a little synth action regret is when playing organ sounds. I did buy an Arturia 61 Keylab a year or so ago to compliment, and I have to say it’s not that great. The keys feel weird, and I don’t play it much.

The other thing to pay attention to is “full size keys”. I like full size.

My recommendation? Check these options out on Sweetwater’s site: https://www.sweetwater.com/c513--MI...iOlsiWWFtYWhhIiwiS3VyendlaWwiLCJSb2xhbmQiXX19 And THEN head to Guitar center or similar with a piano playing friend and sit down at the different models and sample them. Most of those music stores don’t even pay attention to you as you sample away, and it’s great for getting your hands on. Of course the downside is that you won’t be playing softsynths from a computer, aka keyscape, but you’ll at least be touching keys and feeling quality.

You should just believe me (and others) about Keyscape. Check out this:
Follow other Keyscape links on youtube, and you’ll see the softsynth world, and mostly played on Roland weighted midi controllers. BTW I don’t work for anyone, i just play their stuff every day.

The other cool thing about Keyscape, is that within the software you can select the specific midi controller you own, so that the action and sound reproduction is true to the instrument.

Glad to hear you like Keyscape. That was a real passion project for the whole team. As the Domi video shows, there are some cool things you can do when you combine Keyscape with Omnisphere.

+1 for using software instruments. Been doing this for years on the road and at home. Keyscape, omnisphere, serum, various native instruments instruments, IK multimedia Yamaha CF3 piano, etc. Plus I use all kinds of plugin compressors, saturation, reverb, modulation, etc.

I have to agree with this advice - don’t buy a keyboard for sounds, absolute make your choice on how it feels. the reason i like and use my Yamaha Motif88 is that it’s weighted, feels great, and is of course 88 keys. I reread your post, and if you have 1k or more to invest, then you should be able to get a nice weighted keyboard controller. I’d definitely get 88 keys if you have real piano interest.

You also mentioned Rhodes sounds, and I love playing Rhodes, electric pianos, etc on weighted keys. The only time I maybe have a little synth action regret is when playing organ sounds. I did buy an Arturia 61 Keylab a year or so ago to compliment, and I have to say it’s not that great. The keys feel weird, and I don’t play it much.

The other thing to pay attention to is “full size keys”. I like full size.

My recommendation? Check these options out on Sweetwater’s site: https://www.sweetwater.com/c513--MI...iOlsiWWFtYWhhIiwiS3VyendlaWwiLCJSb2xhbmQiXX19 And THEN head to Guitar center or similar with a piano playing friend and sit down at the different models and sample them. Most of those music stores don’t even pay attention to you as you sample away, and it’s great for getting your hands on. Of course the downside is that you won’t be playing softsynths from a computer, aka keyscape, but you’ll at least be touching keys and feeling quality.

You should just believe me (and others) about Keyscape. Check out this:
Follow other Keyscape links on youtube, and you’ll see the softsynth world, and mostly played on Roland weighted midi controllers. BTW I don’t work for anyone, i just play their stuff every day.

The other cool thing about Keyscape, is that within the software you can select the specific midi controller you own, so that the action and sound reproduction is true to the instrument.

Great info - thanks!

I recently bought a Roland FP-90x after carefully choosing between it and a kawai es920. Both were nice, and many say the kawai is more realistic, but I enjoyed the Roland more.

Depending upon budget, Arturia makes some really good feeling MIDI controllers. AKAI is a decent budget option but the action feels 'spongy'.

I currently have a Korg TR-61 in the music room that doubles as an 'always connected' MIDI controller. If I'm playing for longer sessions, I'll use our Yamaha DGX-650, either using the onboard sounds or as a MIDI controller. It's a bargain for the price, it has a great piano feel as well as great sounds.

Back
Top Bottom