I am 43 and it sucks seeing your music and movie heroes age and die....

I agree. It is sobering, especially when someone the same age as you or younger dies. Chris Cornell and Delores O'Riordan were 2 recent ones that really hit close to home for me.

I agree. It is sobering, especially when someone the same age as you or younger dies. Chris Cornell and Delores O'Riordan were 2 recent ones that really hit close to home for me.
Yeah...makes you appreciate life, but it is also a loss from a talent standpoint. EVH was huge for me

I mean look, it's just gonna keep happening.. I'm 42 and when I hear things like what the OP said, I try not to catch myself saying similar sentiments out loud that I would hear as a kid growing up from old people. "It goes by so fast" "I don't feel old" "Things were different" etc etc.. As much as people like to cry the sky is falling because of the internet and political extremes and technology, it would appear all generations go through the same process- young, want your own identity, don't want to listen to sage advice, get old and look around and complain and reminisce about the good old days.

Yup. Uphill. Both ways.

Life's a beach - then the shark gets ya....
It's an oversimplification to say it and perhaps I'm steering off course, but if you can't find a way to enjoy right now/the present and be thankful for the problems you think you have now, then you'll probably never truly be happy as much as you think you are preparing and planning to be once you accomplish X and then Y to get to Z....

Yup. Uphill. Both ways.

Life's a beach - then the shark gets ya....
Not to overstate the blindingly obvious, but people have always died, our heroes, friends, parents, pets, etc included.

But as much of a mess as things are, I spent a bunch of time playing through my Axe this long weekend, and boy howdy, it's so good, even the "ancient" non-beta I'm running. It's such an amazing time for musicians technologically. Not so much in other respects maybe, but anyway...

We keep carrying on, because what else?

It gets worse. Another 10 or 15 years and then it is your friends who start getting
called by the Grim Reaper to come back Home.

Hell, I am getting old enough now that some days I think death is preferable to life.
Takes me 20 minutes after getting out of bed before I can even feel like I am standing up
straight. :)

Also trying to find something to eat that doesn't give me f'ing heartburn is a real challenge.

WTH???!!! ;)

Turning 50 tomorrow and I’m with you at 300%. When I was 12 I heard EVH for the first time on the radio and it was something like “this will last forever”… but, often, reality is sad and cruel…

It gets worse. Another 10 or 15 years and then it is your friends who start getting
called by the Grim Reaper to come back Home.

Hell, I am getting old enough now that some days I think death is preferable to life.
Takes me 20 minutes after getting out of bed before I can even feel like I am standing up
straight. :)

Also trying to find something to eat that doesn't give me f'ing heartburn is a real challenge.

WTH???!!! ;)
I have chronic reflux and Barrett’s and it’s a real PITA. No caffeine, coffee, chocolate, alcohol, tomato sauce, spicy food or fatty food. Meds and regular exercise help a lot, though. I do an hour of cardio (running or rowing) every day and it makes a huge difference.

There's a real problem here in the states and a few other Western countries around grief.

Especially for men (...Men is what we are).

We're taught to bottle grief up and ignore it. Move on. Find a replacement. Stay busy. And on and on.

Whether it's a loved one, family member, an idol, a hero, an ex, a pet: loss affects us all.

All I've learned recently is that it's OKAY to grieve. So yeah, it sucks seeing music heroes and others pass away.

What's even worse is losing school friends who were your age and younger.

I lost yet another friend from my school days today. That's nearing 30 people from my old neighborhood that are gone and I'm not that old to see those kinds of numbers.

Maximize each day as tomorrow is never guaranteed.

Back
Top Bottom