I am 43 and it sucks seeing your music and movie heroes age and die....

Also trying to find something to eat that doesn't give me f'ing heartburn is a real challenge.
I have chronic reflux and Barrett’s and it’s a real PITA. No caffeine, coffee, chocolate, alcohol, tomato sauce, spicy food or fatty food. Meds and regular exercise help a lot, though. I do an hour of cardio (running or rowing) every day and it makes a huge difference.
My wife and I dealt with some of that a few years back. I suggest you do some research on "leaky gut syndrome" and look at trying bone broth - you can make soups and all sorts of yummy food and it helps heal your stomach lining. I can eat just about anything now without issues as long as I don't go crazy.

I'm not a doc, this is just a suggestion based on my experience... but there's gotta be a better solution than just taking more drugs. Do keep exercising. Good luck!

Also trying to find something to eat that doesn't give me f'ing heartburn is a real challenge.

WTH???!!! ;)
Ain't that the fucking truth...then to find out the only god damn thing that worked to stop it causes cancer so back to the chewables that are almost useless.

Ain't that the fucking truth...then to find out the only god damn thing that worked to stop it causes cancer so back to the chewables that are almost useless.
Prolonged reflux can also cause esophageal cancer, which has a pretty low survival rate. If you haven't already, go see a good gastroenterologist. The long-term side effects of the meds I'm on are negligible (for men, anyway). As long as I eat responsibly most of the time, I can have a small indulgence once a week or so and not end up with crippling heartburn. It's completely controllable, but takes discipline.

It gets worse. Another 10 or 15 years and then it is your friends who start getting
called by the Grim Reaper to come back Home.

Hell, I am getting old enough now that some days I think death is preferable to life.
Takes me 20 minutes after getting out of bed before I can even feel like I am standing up
straight. :)

WTH???!!! ;)
I find a tangerine after my lunch and supper meals really helps. No clue why. Maybe it helps move things through?

Life is good, and death is inevitable. The older I’ve become, the more thankful I am for the opportunity to experience people or things for whatever period I’m blessed to be able to share time with them. If life ended today, I’ve had a good run. Whenever I hear of someone’s passing, I find myself hoping that they felt the same way about their time. I, too, very much miss those signposts of my life, and people that meant a lot to me. While it’s a painful and hollow feeling at times, it’s also a reminder that something good enough happened to me that I wished it didn’t end. That’s a good thing.

Too many to name...but definitely ages you and just just sucks in general. Lot of talent gone and the new era is not as great. I know, I know! But seems truer than decades ago saying something similar.
48 and feel the same way. Losing musicians I worshiped growing up, and friends more often than I'd like.
I find myself often thinking - am I at that age now??

I hear you @Tremonti. It goes in waves in the same way we lose our grandparents' generation, our parents' generation, and then finally our own. I think I'd view the world quite differently if I didn't have children.
Agree, but part of that is being worried for my family when I'm gone, and feeling guilty I'm not leaving them millions. Not to overstate my importance in the world, but both my wife and daughter are disabled, it probably will be hard for them without me, financially and otherwise.

48 and feel the same way. Losing musicians I worshiped growing up, and friends more often than I'd like.
I find myself often thinking - am I at that age now??

I've been contemplating this today, in a big way, since today is the 40th anniversary of when I met Randy Rhoads. His influence on my playing was immense, especially since I was at that age where you're the most impressionable. I think of him a lot, and to think that was 40 years ago is kind of freaking me out a bit. The passage, and marking, of time is really hitting home these days.

While I'm optimistic that there are many good years ahead (hopefully), I cannot deny that I'm at that point where life mostly starts to take away and stops giving to a large degree. I'm also saddened that many of my older family members, due to Covid, may not have the luxury of seeing 'normal' life events resume when this is eventually over. To think that they may have seen their last Christmas, holidays, etc. without the large family gatherings is very much forefront in my thinking these days.

Too many to name...but definitely ages you and just just sucks in general. Lot of talent gone and the new era is not as great. I know, I know! But seems truer than decades ago saying something similar.
It gets worse as u grow older, but I guess younger fans of older music will be feeling this a lot lately also.

My wife and I dealt with some of that a few years back. I suggest you do some research on "leaky gut syndrome" and look at trying bone broth - you can make soups and all sorts of yummy food and it helps heal your stomach lining. I can eat just about anything now without issues as long as I don't go crazy.

I'm not a doc, this is just a suggestion based on my experience... but there's gotta be a better solution than just taking more drugs. Do keep exercising. Good luck!
Carnivore diet is a plus for gut health too. Look it up.

I agree with what was said by M@ re: children - for me they re-prioritize life in the most fundamental and important ways. I’m waiting on grandkids in a few.

Also the older I get, (conveniently) I feel like there is definitely something more than this current, most precious and blessed gift.

Despite many of the greats leaving us, I feel there aren't any one taking their place. As for big rock bands, Metallica, Guns n Roses, AC/DC, Iron maiden...they're still here as they were 30 years ago (sadly not Rush though but they kept going very long), which is amazing by itself - but I got a feeling not that many are there or able to carry on the same way and draw big crowds. I speculate it might be because of how music is consumed today vs pre-internet days. Kids today listen to a playlist instead of an album. Less time is invested in a single artist, cos there is so much to choose from. If I had an album in the 90s, and only liked a few songs, I still put it on , and it grew on me and expanded my musical universe and interest for the band.

Record companies cannot invest in an artist and back them up for a tour (or album) as before, cos no one buys records. Now, a band or artist has to produce an album on their own, and go on a tour that yields very little income...if any. I've heard many that end up losing money on touring as well.
There will always be touring bands, but I just worry we won't see big world known names like we've had up till now, in the future.

Last edited:
Despite many of the greats leaving us, I feel there aren't any one taking their place. As for big rock bands, Metallica, Guns n Roses, AC/DC, Iron maiden...they're still here as they were 30 years ago (sadly not Rush though but they kept going very long), which is amazing by itself - but I got a feeling not that many are there or able to carry on the same way and draw big crowds. I speculate it might be because of how music is consumed today vs pre-internet days. Kids today listen to a playlist instead of an album. Less time is invested in a single artist, cos there is so much to choose from. If I had an album in the 90s, and only liked a few songs, I still put it on , and it grew on me and expanded my musical universe and interest for the band.

Record companies cannot invest in an artist and back them up for a tour (or album) as before, cos no one buys records. Now, a band or artist has to produce an album on their own, and go on a tour that yields very little income...if any. I've heard many that end up losing money on touring as well.
There will always be touring bands, but I just worry we won't see big world known names like we've had up till now, in the future.
agree 100% - the environment just isn't there to produce these types of artists any more - sad

I'm 70. It may not be long before every artist in my CD collection will be gone. There are people in my iTunes library who should be around for a good while. Longer than me for sure.

The last several years have been one after the other. These have been some of the toughest - Chris Squire, Scott Weiland, Greg Lake, John Wetton, Bowie, Lyle Mays, EVH, and the hardest for me - the Professor, Neil Peart.

That said, I'm very thankful they all left a massive legacy that we can enjoy and derive inspiration from for a lifetime.

Back
Top Bottom