HX Stomp - interesting (?)

I run AFB and a multi-effect box from a battery pack for a grab and go rig. After really thinking this over as a replacement....to the point of installing the Helix Native demo and seeing what can be done with 6 blocks....I've given HX Stomp a thumbs down.

This thing is a technological marvel, but I'm hard pressed to figure out what it's good at. Jack of all trades, master of none applies perfectly. If you just want effects, the HX Effects is better at the same price. If you want the amp models, it's not an an all-in-one solution because of the block limit. Adding external units negates the portability since HX Stomp requires a big and rather seriously awkward power supply. Apparently you might get it to run from some other power units, but no guarantees. I'm also concerned about heat since they seem to have just scaled down their full architecture into this amazingly tiny enclosure. My guess: it'll sell like crazy at first, but wind down quick when people figure out the inherent limits.

Dammit, Atomic better fix the AFB because (at least for now) there is no substitute for it. :p

I do wish Fractal would decide to compete in this space....

It's funny. I looked at what I could do with 6 blocks and sold my AFB before the HX Stomp arrived. The AFB was cool but the whole model for dual channels was goofy at best and you do need another effects unit to be somewhat full featured. My main rig is the AX8 and I have patches with more than 6 blocks but I can only think of one song I play live that uses more than 6 blocks. Obviously, if I were to try and replicate all of the capabilities of my live rig with the HX Stomp I will need more patches than I use on the AX8.

It's funny. I looked at what I could do with 6 blocks and sold my AFB before the HX Stomp arrived. The AFB was cool but the whole model for dual channels was goofy at best and you do need another effects unit to be somewhat full featured. My main rig is the AX8 and I have patches with more than 6 blocks but I can only think of one song I play live that uses more than 6 blocks. Obviously, if I were to try and replicate all of the capabilities of my live rig with the HX Stomp I will need more patches than I use on the AX8.

You're my twin as far as gear goes....main rig is an AX8, and I'm using the AFB with an MS-3 for grab-and-go like you used to. The AFB problems you describe are the reason I'm looking. The AFB, for all it's faults, can definitely get one really good amp sound at a time--to which the MS-3 adds six effect slots. The HX uses up half or more of its blocks to do what the AFB does.

I'm very curious how you fare with the HX....

You're my twin as far as gear goes....main rig is an AX8, and I'm using the AFB with an MS-3 for grab-and-go like you used to. The AFB problems you describe are the reason I'm looking. The AFB, for all it's faults, can definitely get one really good amp sound at a time--to which the MS-3 adds six effect slots. The HX uses up half or more of its blocks to do what the AFB does.

I'm very curious how you fare with the HX....

I didn't use the AFB for anything except amps. I didn't use the reverb, boost, comp, etc. I literally treated it like a two channel amp and did everything else with the MS-3.

Hmmmm, yeah, me too. What I meant was that it takes me several blocks to get the same quality basic amp sound (in Native, anyway). Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

I didn't use the AFB for anything except amps. I didn't use the reverb, boost, comp, etc. I literally treated it like a two channel amp and did everything else with the MS-3.
I use a slight bit of reverb from the AFB, and use it like a two channel amp with one clean-ish boost. Pair it with an M9, makes for a pretty good grab and go.
But the HX Stomp makes for a tempting alternative... pair it with 2 footswitches, it'd be more flexible than my current AFB+M9.
Hmmmm, yeah, me too. What I meant was that it takes me several blocks to get the same quality basic amp sound (in Native, anyway). Maybe I'm doing it wrong.
Using the same IR for both?

I run AFB and a multi-effect box from a battery pack for a grab and go rig. After really thinking this over as a replacement....to the point of installing the Helix Native demo and seeing what can be done with 6 blocks....I've given HX Stomp a thumbs down.

This thing is a technological marvel, but I'm hard pressed to figure out what it's good at. Jack of all trades, master of none applies perfectly. If you just want effects, the HX Effects is better at the same price. If you want the amp models, it's not an an all-in-one solution because of the block limit. Adding external units negates the portability since HX Stomp requires a big and rather seriously awkward power supply. Apparently you might get it to run from some other power units, but no guarantees. I'm also concerned about heat since they seem to have just scaled down their full architecture into this amazingly tiny enclosure. My guess: it'll sell like crazy at first, but wind down quick when people figure out the inherent limits.

Dammit, Atomic better fix the AFB because (at least for now) there is no substitute for it. :p

I do wish Fractal would decide to compete in this space....

One thing it will be good at: living on fully stocked pedalboards as a 1) H9/M9 replacement, and 2) backline backup. Whether you’re driving an amp or a Fractal, if the backline goes down, you can still go direct and even use the same IRs.

I bought one. It should be perfect for 4CM with my amp where I'm only using effects.. One band I'm in I use only a few presets and the Ax8 is just overkill for that.

I am thinking about buying one. I have plenty of other pedals for signature style sounds. I play alternative and hard rock / grunge. I won't need a lot of blocks. At home I am already set up with a PA. I bought the PA when I bought my house in preparation for an AX8. But this thing would fit rights on to my pedal board. Less floor space needed. I could also use it for acoustic open pics. Small, quick and easy. Maybe Fractal will do something like this around winter NAMM. I consider Fractal to be number 1 in the modeling world, but others are catching up.

I got mine tonight and played with it about an hour or so. First impression is it's neat but doesn't compare with Fractal on any level. I prefer Fractal amps, cabs, effects and even the tuner. I like the interface on the Line 6. I never even looked at the manual and have a lot of it figured out. I mainly got this for running effects 4CM and midi switching the channels on my EVH.

I got mine tonight and played with it about an hour or so. First impression is it's neat but doesn't compare with Fractal on any level. I prefer Fractal amps, cabs, effects and even the tuner....

That's the hump I can't get over with these things. When you have a Fractal setup, adding much of anything else in the digital modelling arena detracts to some degree. It's kinda like decorating a wedding cake with turds. Sure, you can do it ..but ... :confused: :D

Biggest gripe I have with Fractal so-far, is that I am left waiting for them to come up with something else so I can sound better!

"First world problems" they call ^^^ ..that! :D

That's the hump I can't get over with these things. When you have a Fractal setup, adding much of anything else in the digital modelling arena detracts to some degree. It's kinda like decorating a wedding cake with turds. Sure, you can do it ..but ... :confused: :D

Biggest gripe I have with Fractal so-far, is that I am left waiting for them to come up with something else so I can sound better!

"First world problems" they call ^^^ ..that! :D

Be nice if Cliff and the gang were reading this thread and going "just you wait to see what we've got in the pipeline ....."

Be nice if Cliff and the gang were reading this thread and going "just you wait to see what we've got in the pipeline ....."
No one would be happier than me to hear something like this......BUT
Then the rants would start - "when are we going to know?"...."why announce a produce if it's not ready yet?"....."they said we'd have it by now!".

Then the rants would start - "when are we going to know?"...."why announce a produce if it's not ready yet?"....."they said we'd have it by now!".

I know, one of the problems of the Internet, there's always someone with a moan

Hey, its' the NOT knowing that drives competitive innovation. ;) ...We have Line6 right now, galloping all over the barnyard, innovating like crazy - because Fractal is So Good at what they do..

Good for them. ...And it's That level of competition that's good for all us guys.

Really, whodafunked-it? .. We have a Line6 Helix - a-frikkin' Helix..in the form factor of a cigarbox. Do you know how hard it has been for me to NOT buy this thing!!!

...I can only imagine where things will be heading next, but, man!! ...am I glad I'm along for the ride! :D

Take your time, Cliff. Do it right. I'll wait .. :cool:

Didn't read the whole thread but I purchased out of curiosity (AxeFxII Mk I user here). I made a bold move and tried to have a gig with just the hx stomp and run through its paces..... I MUST say.... Of course by adding a separate amp,cab, PEQ took three blocks but, I was actually delightfully surprised how well it performed and sounded! (I play at church. Last week's set was Somewhat of an a tamed set list. Ie. alternative rock and Ballads)

I literally went to church with my Guitar and the hx stomp in my gig bag...... that was surreal.

Am I going to replace my AxeFxII? Nah. But now I'm definitely thinking of retiring my AxeFx from the stage and bring it home for recording. And keeping the HX stomp on my board and use it live.

Its said millions of times but we live in an exciting times! Indeed indeed...

I got mine tonight and played with it about an hour or so. First impression is it's neat but doesn't compare with Fractal on any level. I prefer Fractal amps, cabs, effects and even the tuner. I like the interface on the Line 6. I never even looked at the manual and have a lot of it figured out. I mainly got this for running effects 4CM and midi switching the channels on my EVH.

I had to spend time some tweaking to sound decent through my rig but once I got it dialed in, I was quite surprised how good it sounded!

For me, maybe it's because I had the AxeFx from the beginning, no matter what everyone says, I think AxeFx is, as intuitive, or more intuitive as , the other devices on the market! maybe I'm crazy. Lol

Feeling like I should buy the HX Stomp. It would be my first modeling unit. Kinda want to wait till NAMM though to see what else happens. Maybe not from Fractal at NAMM but just the market as a whole.

Back
Top Bottom