Hum

Hi I Have a axe fix III NEW and use live to a fryette lx II , Have bad hum , have hum buster cables , isolated power amp not it, defiantly axe III , IN GLOBAL went to 60z too, good cables to , any ideas ?

Does it hum with nothing plugged in?

Are you running a bunch of items from 1 outlet?

Is it plugged into multiple outlets? Could be ground noise. Is the guitar plugged in while it’s humming? Are the audio cables running over any power equipment? You might want to post a video as well demonstrating the hum. It will also show your setup and make the issue easier to diagnose

When I put a hum x eliminator adapter I had on the power cord problem gone , so when I went into global and switch the 50z to 60 z did nothing , isolated every rack unit definitely axe fix III , What’s up with that? Not cables or any interference with other units , something in 15.01 edit , doesn’t seem like the 60z is doing anything.

When I put a hum x eliminator adapter I had on the power cord problem gone , so when I went into global and switch the 50z to 60 z did nothing , isolated every rack unit definitely axe fix III , What’s up with that? Not cables or any interference with other units , something in 15.01 edit , doesn’t seem like the 60z is doing anything.
It sounds like a electrical ground issue if that adaptor removed the noise. If you’re in the US, you’ll want to keep the 60hz setting on. Is your rig plugged into more than one outlet?

50/60hz line filtering setting in global only works if the noise gate in the input block is on. I believe that only works in the intelligent or noise reducer setting (I am not positive about the intelligent setting)

Sounds like you have a ground loop. Use the Balanced outputs with a balanced cables, engage the ground lift switch on the back on the Axe-fx. See if that doesn't fix it.

50/60hz line filtering setting in global only works if the noise gate in the input block is on. I believe that only works in the intelligent or noise reducer setting (I am not positive about the intelligent setting)

Sounds like you have a ground loop. Use the Balanced outputs with a balanced cables, engage the ground lift switch on the back on the Axe-fx. See if that doesn't fix it.
Pretty sure it's only the noise reducer mode.

I think the Humbuster he is using should provide the same benefit as balanced cables, right?

Although I suppose it's possible they are plugged in backwards...

@John Cortese - if you use only the Axe Fx with only headphones and guitar, is there still a hum?

I think the Humbuster he is using should provide the same benefit as balanced cables, right?

@John Cortese - if you use only the Axe Fx with only headphones and guitar, is there still a hum?
I agree with trying it with headphones. The ground loop could be coming off of the rack rails as well.

Are there any dimmers, compact fluorescent light, or regular fluorescent light on the same circuit as the outlet your Axe-FX III is plugged into? They output varying amounts of noise that only serious power filtering or circuit intervention in terms of running an isolated grounded outlet will solve.

Some computer monitors and computer cases are a source of RFI or EMI. Some phones also generate noise that electronics pick up.

You need to experiment by unplugging things in those cases.

Are there any dimmers, compact fluorescent light, or regular fluorescent light on the same circuit as the outlet your Axe-FX III is plugged into? They output varying amounts of noise that only serious power filtering or circuit intervention in terms of running an isolated grounded outlet will solve.

Some computer monitors and computer cases are a source of RFI or EMI. Some phones also generate noise that electronics pick up.

You need to experiment by unplugging things in those c

Looking at that fryette, the inputs unbalanced anyway, so the humbusters are the way to go.

According to the
blocks manual:
The “INTELLIGENT” and “NOISE REDUCER” types uses smart filtering to make the gating effect less obvious, improve note attack, and filter EMI to reduce hum and buzz. For best results, set AC Line Frequency in the Global menu under Settings to match the actual line frequency of in your region (i.e., “60 Hz” for USA/Canada/most of South America, or “50 Hz” for Europe/Australia/most of Asia, etc.).

Back
Top Bottom