Hum from PRE out

silk

Inspired
Dears,
I've no problems with my FX8 in POST mode (in the send return of my Koch Twintone)
But when I try to use the PRE section I've too much noise, both in 4CM than in PRE only mode, mostly on dist channel. (The noise is the same with or without guitar plugged, so is not a guitar's problem)
With Humbusters cables is a little bit better, but it's still unusable.
I've trided to change the levels of PRE section (pad & headroom); amp and FX8 are plugged into the same power strip; FX8 is far from magnets... nothing changes.
I've tried this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YM1iwC6vhg and it works (80% eliminated), but I seem to remember someone talks about dangers... what about it?
Any other solutions?
THX

Last edited:
UPDATING:
anyway, at high volume, the noise is still too high... so I need some other solution, otherwise I can only use POST mode... :-(

Have you checked your cables ? This can happen with broken cables - I've had it before so try swapping them around ?

I can't listen to your clip at the moment to not wake my wife, but if it's a buzz than try something like an ebtech ground isolation box. Try it one each of the three cables individually until you find which one has the ground loop. If it's hiss than you likely have a signal to noise problem at the input. If pad settings aren't working you would need to find some way to increase your guitar signal with a buffer.

Yes, I've checked the cables. My amp is a Koch Twintone Koch: Twintone amp and the noise is this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YM1iwC6vhg
No problem when I use fx8 only in the send return of amp.
When I plug a third cable in the fx8 the noise starts: in 4CM or using an AB box or...

For the LOVE, shame on Taylor Guitars! Please don't use a ground lift on your tube amp as recommended in that video. That's a quick way to die.

This isn't clear; is your setup is noisy when you only use the PRE section to the front of the amp (1 cable from guitar to FX8 In Pre, 1 cable from FX8 Out Pre to amp front input)?

When using Hunbusters, are you using them on all outputs of the FX8?

I think the method in the Taylor video is safe ONLY if you use 2 amps like that connected exactly like that, right? The Line 6 amp in that example is still grounded since the Taylor amp is, right?

He does say do NOT do that with a single amp, only with this setup.

Can any engineers confirm this?

I think the method in the Taylor video is safe ONLY if you use 2 amps like that connected exactly like that, right? The Line 6 amp in that example is still grounded since the Taylor amp is, right?
Nope—not safe either way. To be safe, each amp needs a ground that can handle the full current that the amp can provide if there's a power short. Patch cords don't qualify; they'd be quickly destroyed in the event of a power short, leaving you unprotected.

Short story: each piece of gear that has a three-prong plug gets its third prong grounded, not "cheated."

is your setup is noisy when you only use the PRE section to the front of the amp (1 cable from guitar to FX8 In Pre, 1 cable from FX8 Out Pre to amp front input)?

Yes

When using Hunbusters, are you using them on all outputs of the FX8?

yes

No problem in POST ONLY MODE (FX8 plugged in send return of my koch)
The noise comes in these cases (dist channel):
1. 1 cable from guitar to FX8 In Pre, 1 cable from FX8 Out Pre to amp front input; or
2. 4CM; or
3. in POST ONLY MODE, but with the remote loopy-2 (Remote Loopy2) between guitar and amp ( In this case the noise is only hum (low frequences); or
4. in POST ONLY MODE, but with the tuner out of my volume pedal plugged into the FX8 in pre (this was my idea to tune my guitar in silence since FX8 is plugged in a line mixer and so there is always a signal to the amp)

Last edited:
In "post only mode" that you first mention, your guitar is plugged into your amp or the FX8? I'd assume amp?

If so, with #4 above, are you going Guitar to Volume pedal to amp input, and also Tuner out to FX8?

Did you mention the mixer before? How does this Line mixer get used? Is it always used? If you don't use that, does the noise go away?

In "post only mode" that you first mention, your guitar is plugged into your amp or the FX8? I'd assume amp?

The guitar is plugged into my amp (guitar-> volume pedal -> wah -> amp)

If so, with #4 above, are you going Guitar to Volume pedal to amp input, and also Tuner out to FX8?

Yes

Did you mention the mixer before? How does this Line mixer get used? Is it always used? If you don't use that, does the noise go away?

Amp send -> line mixer (with fx8 in line mixer's send return) -> amp return
I alway use this rig. Anyway the noise comes even I don't use the mixer.

Back
Top Bottom