How's FM3 as an audio interface?

vejichan

Inspired
Is the FM3 a solid audio interface for recording guitar? how's it compare to something like a focusrite 2i2 ?

Is the FM3 a solid audio interface for recording guitar? how's it compare to something like a focusrite 2i2 ?
The FM3 is the source. When it's also your interface, there's no need for conversion to analog and back again. That conversion is the hardest thing for an interface to do right, and you don't even need that step.

Last edited:
In my experience, there was the occasional clicks or pops in my audio when recording (1.06) They’ve been working on issues when recording via USB and perhaps it’s better now. I elected to get a 2i2 and just leave it plugged in to do the audio work.

Working fine.
Recorded on weekend several tracks in DAW and using In3+4 recording RAW signal simultaneously on second track working well.

Just an addition.
I've read about drop-outs and other problems as an Audio Interface.
You should install and configure a PC or Laptop only for use with Audio hardware and DAW and not use it for common stuff.
Thats and advice for all Audio hardware or DAWs not only for FM3.
There are howtos and hints you can find how to configure the PC for optimal use for audio.
And it is a fact that laptops are more difficult or having more problems with audio because of their design for mobile use and energy saving.
Some mainboards or chipsets have more issues than other.
A PC is the easier way for it.

Try latency check tools to find out what hardware causes higher latency or drop-outs and so on....
I use a mobile workstation and process-lasso and deactivated all unneccessary hardware at BIOS and OS and it is running fine with latency around 4-6 ms.

I was using it over the weekend in Reaper with no problems at 32 sample rate.

Probably system dependant since I have a very good desktop with everything set up for maximum power at all times.

It is working very well using USB from FM3 into my PC into Ableton Live DAW. I usually go into my focusrite 2i2 usb audio hub but haven't needed it.

I've been using it without any issues but I usually just go back to my focusrite once I'm done recording with the fm3.

I've been using it without any issues but I usually just go back to my focusrite once I'm done recording with the fm3.
I think this will make no sense unless you use digitial out of FM3.
Because converting digital signal to analog out of FM3 - going to audio interface- converting analog back to digital is a root cause of failure or humming or level adaption problems instead of using the digital signal of the FM3 directly.

Snap, crackle, pop! about sums up my experience when trying to use it as a standalone interface. I just updated to latest firmware with no success.
And that's 42.7ms. I turned off my Scarlett 8i6 thinking there might be some interference going on. But did not help. I would really like to use the Re-Amp feature, but its useless at this point.

Windows 10
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio Daw

Snap, crackle, pop! about sums up my experience when trying to use it as a standalone interface. I just updated to latest firmware with no success.
And that's 42.7ms. I turned off my Scarlett 8i6 thinking there might be some interference going on. But did not help. I would really like to use the Re-Amp feature, but its useless at this point.

Windows 10
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio Daw
What are the system specs of your pc or laptop? Have you tried any other DAW's? Ableton Live lite 10 is free. I have Ableton 10 and it works very well. Have you tried different usb cables?

Desktop: AMD 8350 8 core 4.00ghz, 32g ram, I do have Cakewalk installed, but I haven't tried it yet. And I'm just using the cable that I think came with the unit.

So...after I did the update, I realized I've been listening back to a clip I recorded prior to the update. It had a bunch of the crackles and pops in it. Though I thought I was just hearing it back during playback. But it seems like it was recorded with those artifacts. So I just tested again with a new recording and it seems to be ok. Though I'm not sure if there is a timing delay issue or not. Might just be me. Its a short clip. So I'll try further.

If this continues to work, It'll seem like heaven! I'm already smiling.

Just to add...
I use different USB Audio interfaces on my acutal recording Laptop.
Behringer, Tascam, FM 3 and even an old M-Audio Jamlab...

And all running fine with low latency after doing the mentioned optimizations.
I close the unused driver tools just to be sure nothing unneccessary is running. (eg. closing Fractal driver panel when using the Tascam and so on...)
Even the M-Audio will now run at lowest possible latency (Buffer 128) and with 48kHz. And that never ran with theese settings with my old, non optimized PC or Laptop.
So i'm pretty sure that in many cases it is not the FM3 with last firmware that causes the problem.

Mine only works when it feels like it. Some days it connects and I’m able to use it. Other days it just continuously connects and disconnects.

I had crackled and pops until I changed the buffer setting in my DAW. Works like a charm now for recording and reamping. No latency.

Back
Top Bottom