How would you persuade me to go for an FM3?

Dixiethedog

Experienced
How would you persuade me to buy an FM3?

At the moment in discussion on just one page, I can see FM freezing in the middle of a gig, Help! PC no longer detecting my FM3, Sad. Switches freezing with 6.01 update, FM won't change presets, FM lag after V7, Harsh digital fizz after updating from 1x to 7.0, Factory preset won't work, Weird feedback type noises, Tuner Turns off. Stand-in switch issue? All from just the first page of discussion!!!!!

I love my AX8, which currently has a "broken" USB output so I am unable to connect to my PC to edit, store, or do anything else with it. So I am aware that faults can happen.

Now, my glass is always half full. If I can I look on the bright side. But, just from the current FM3 discussion page, the problems listed in the titles of the threads makes me nervous to bite the bullet and buy one. A s/h one at that.

They can't all be bad, surely?

What made me think about buying was a YouTube video that I watched last night from the excellent Frank Steffen Mueller, who showed us (me) the OCD external pedal setups. More pedals, like my AX8 would be good, I thought.

Is the FM3 a headache in waiting or the best thing that has ever happened to you musically?

Since I am somewhat responsible for the two freezing posts being on page one, I'll pipe in.

While it sounds like I'll need to send it in for diagnostics and possible repairs, this was the first real issue I've had with my device in 3 years of regular, fairly involved use, including numerous flawless gigs. Right now the unit is actually behaving and I plan to do my gig on Saturday with it before sending it in.

As someone alluded to, the page you are seeing represents a very small number of problems over thousands of customers/units.

Bottom line: The FM3 is the single best piece of gear I have owned (my first Fractal actually) and if I could go back and do it again I absolutely would. In fact, I'm likely going to buy an FM9 and move my FM3 to home and back-up use.

Coming from the AX8 to the FM3, unless your presets are pretty basic, I would try to persuade you to get the FM9. ;)

The first FM3 I received (non-headphone) ended up with the USB issue. The replacement unit has been working great for over 2 years now.

This kitchen sink preset uses on average 71% CPU on a non-turbo FM3, sounds great, and is automated live via Ableton LIVE (the second input line features a Fender Twin tube preamp for cleans). That's two Amps, two Cabs, Room Sim, two Wahs, Trem, Reverb, three Delays, four Pitch FX, various Controllers, a Vol/Pan, and a Mixer). In the analog world this would weigh over 100lbs in a rack LOL, so what's not to like?

FC Setup...

FC1 tap controls the Ableton LIVE Looper Plugin's Play button, and hold the FM3's Tuner.
FC2 tap controls the Ableton LIVE Session Loop button, and hold the Ableton LIVE Looper Plugin's Undo button plus a Boost.
FC3 tap switches a Delay FX, and hold selects a Pitch FX (Auto-Whammy).

A Mosky Dual Switch 1 tap increments Scenes, and hold decrements Scenes (the majority of FX changes and cross-fades/fades and tempos are automated via MIDI from Ableton LIVE).
The Mosky Dual Switch 2 tap selects Auto-Wah .

Last edited:
Still own the AX8 that was my live rig for a few years. Have gigged with the FM3 and FM9 without issues. No matter which one you decide on you will be ready to ROCK.

Thought I was going to stick with the FM3 but finally decided to stay with the FM9 for gigging. The OFM9G layout is outstanding.

if you are good with a simple line and scenes with a few effects, works perfect. backpack carry, simple. If you are more into complex presets with lots of effects per, then fm9 or axe III if you can afford the higher price and dont mind the extra carry effort. Fractal is the best for fixes as results of continuing updates and improvements. I have always loved my fm3

At the moment in discussion on just one page, I can see FM freezing in the middle of a gig, Help! PC no longer detecting my FM3, Sad. Switches freezing with 6.01 update, FM won't change presets, FM lag after V7, Harsh digital fizz after updating from 1x to 7.0, Factory preset won't work, Weird feedback type noises, Tuner Turns off. Stand-in switch issue? All from just the first page of discussion!!!!!

I love my AX8, which currently has a "broken" USB output so I am unable to connect to my PC to edit, store, or do anything else with it. So I am aware that faults can happen.

Now, my glass is always half full. If I can I look on the bright side. But, just from the current FM3 discussion page, the problems listed in the titles of the threads makes me nervous to bite the bullet and buy one. A s/h one at that.

They can't all be bad, surely?

What made me think about buying was a YouTube video that I watched last night from the excellent Frank Steffen Mueller, who showed us (me) the OCD external pedal setups. More pedals, like my AX8 would be good, I thought.

Is the FM3 a headache in waiting or the best thing that has ever happened to you musically?
I bought an FM9 recently, after being on the wait list for over a year. During that time, I could have purchased an FM3, but held off, thinking that only 3 footswitches would never be enough.

This past weekend, I went to a Larry Mitchell masterclass, in which he showed how he uses his FM3. He clearly had invested a lot of time in learning all the ways you can interact with those three switches, and yeah, I was wrong. I would have been able to do absolutely everything I want to be able to do with it, and it sounded absolutely amazing. Now, I'd buy one without hesitation, if I hadn't already bought my FM9.

In terms of reliability, I've had zero issues with mine after 3+ years, countless flights, a handful of US/EU tours, blah blah blah. I tend to find that the majority of reliability issues posted on the forum tend to relate to new users, and common errors:

Failure to refresh after new firmware.
Improper update procedure / failure to follow directions.
Running the unit far too close to the CPU limit, and a Modifier or some other process forcing the thing into overload.
Assuming that there's no risk when you run Beta firmware at your big gig.
Forgetting what you programmed / system settings causing unexpected operation.
Etc.

I have yet to read anything that outlines a widespread failure mode for the FM3, and discussions concerning potential ones appear to be isolated to a small number of users at best. As with any piece of gear, you should expect that issues exist and are definitely out there--it's just how common they are that matters most.

In terms of function/performance, totally capable. The AX8 was my first Fractal unit, and I definitely had concerns that the FM3 might not live up to what I was used to. In the end, the FM3's flexibility made me realize just how little I actually "needed" to have everything laid out in front of me. I've never had a problem programming a song (or even an entire set) into a preset after I figured out what worked best for my performance style and began to standardize my approach / color selections / things like that. Moving from the AX8 to the FM3 is an adjustment and learning curve, absolutely--but in the end it's just another instrument you need to learn how to play.

Buy one ...

.. learn how to use it (should be quicker, with some transferable skills from the Ax8) ...

... play with it / gig with it heaps ...

.... wonder how you ever lived without it? :cool:

You don't need to be persuaded. You need to decide on your own based on your needs.

I had an Axe Fx II for almost a decade and loved it. I eventually realized it was too much for me after I stopped recording, sold it, and went full analog. Hated it. Bought an FM3, and for my needs, it's perfect. Never had any issues with my Axe Fx II, and no issues with the FM3. After a massive flood that wiped out virtually all of my gear, 4 years later, I now have a full digital studio in my basement again. I'm very happy.

If we could objectively say what everyone will like....

Then, there's the practical $150 rental feel. Buy one, use it, and if you decide it's not for you, your cost of purchasing vs what you sold it for will cost you out a nominal 'rental' fee, which is a bargain to get a month or two with a killer device that the rest of us know you will not sell.

YMMV for sure, but you should not be convinced to do anything. You ought to compel yourself because you're driven internally to the decision. If you're ambivalent. Hold off. You've missed out this long, what will a little longer really do?

Back
Top Bottom