How to send MIDI via USB to computer?

RobboChobbo

Hi there,

I do a lot of transcribing and I wondered if there was a way to use a Roland DP-10 (the only footpedal I have available, which uses a TRS jack) to send a MIDI signal to my Mac from the AXE FX III via the USB connection?

The transcription software I am using is called Transcribe! and can accept MIDI input.

Currently, I have plugged the DP-10 into Expression input 1 on the back of my AXE FX.
In Setup -> I/O -> Pedal, I can see that when I press my footpedal the AXE FX is receiving that signal, which is a good start!

But, how do I now send that signal out to my Mac?

Any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks in advance.

The Axe Fx can send midi to the computer, but only midi that it generates... It's not a midi adapter and has no way to do that.

Also, the DP-10 is a damper pedal and would operate similar to an expression pedal. The Fractal stuff doesn't currently send expression pedal data... There are wishes for that.

You might check out the AudioFront Expression IO as a small and relatively inexpensive way to do it.

The Axe Fx can send midi to the computer, but only midi that it generates... It's not a midi adapter and has no way to do that.

Also, the DP-10 is a damper pedal and would operate similar to an expression pedal. The Fractal stuff doesn't currently send expression pedal data... There are wishes for that.

You might check out the AudioFront Expression IO as a small and relatively inexpensive way to do it.

Thanks for your reply, that's really helpful info. Sounds like it's a dead end, so I'll look to some other solutions.

I've tried to use FC-12 in combination with the AXE Fxlll to send a MIDI signal to my laptop (Bome MIDI translaotr Pro software) but the signals are not recognizable. Maybe I have to do some settings in de AXE?

I've tried to use FC-12 in combination with the AXE Fxlll to send a MIDI signal to my laptop (Bome MIDI translaotr Pro software) but the signals are not recognizable. Maybe I have to do some settings in de AXE?
What does "not recognizable" mean?

The Axe Fx sends midi (but not over USB)... So if you set up either Control Switch Midi or the Scene Midi block it will be sent.

Last edited:
What does "not recognizable" mean?

The Axe Fx sends midi (but not over USB)... So if you set up either Control Switch Midi or the Scene Midi block it will be sent.
I will try do discribe the disired situation. With the Axe I want to send a cc midi command and control a third unit via the Bome MIDI translator Pro software on my laptop. Fot this I use the USB port on the Axe to send the midi signal (my laptop recognizes the Axe after connect the USB cable, so that seems to be going well). But when I activate the MIDI signaal (with the programmed button on my FC-12), the softwate on my laptop does'nt recogizes this. You write in your responce that de Axe does'nt send MIDI signals via USB? That's weird because the software recognizes the MIDI OUT on de AXE. I'm not really familiar with the MIDI settings and see a lot of global parameter settings in de AXE, maybe somethings goes wrong in there.

You write in your responce that de Axe does'nt send MIDI signals via USB? That's weird because the software recognizes the MIDI OUT on de AXE.
no. The axe does have a usb midi connection, but it is for things like axe-edit.

CS MIDI and MIDI block messages only get sent to the hardware MIDI out port.
CS MIDI and MIDI block messages do not get sent to the USB midi port. You are using the USB midi port, not the hardware midi out 5 pin din port.

no. The axe does have a usb midi connection, but it is for things like axe-edit.

CS MIDI and MIDI block messages do not get sent to the USB midi port. You are using the USB midi port, not the hardware midi out 5 pin din port.
In the manual is written that de USB connection als carrier eMIDI over USB that performs the same functions as the regular 5-pin MIDI

I will try do discribe the disired situation. With the Axe I want to send a cc midi command and control a third unit via the Bome MIDI translator Pro software on my laptop. Fot this I use the USB port on the Axe to send the midi signal (my laptop recognizes the Axe after connect the USB cable, so that seems to be going well). But when I activate the MIDI signaal (with the programmed button on my FC-12), the softwate on my laptop does'nt recogizes this. You write in your responce that de Axe does'nt send MIDI signals via USB? That's weird because the software recognizes the MIDI OUT on de AXE. I'm not really familiar with the MIDI settings and see a lot of global parameter settings in de AXE, maybe somethings goes wrong in there.
In the manual is written that the USB connection also caries a MIDI-over-USB that performs the same functions as the regular 5-pin MIDI.

The manual states:
"MIDI-over-USB performs the same functions as regular 5-pin MIDI, only faster."

which is certainly not accurate if you interpret "regular 5-pin MIDI" as applying to the the axe itself. I believe the statement is a general description of MIDI-over-USB rather than a promise of CS MIDI and MIDI block behavior (though to be clear, many users would prefer the axe behaved as the manual reads).

Back
Top Bottom