How to jump from the SuperStrat to the PRS wagon?

BTW. I've heard that the advantage of the reverse headstock is to reduce the lenght of the first 3 strings to improve their tuning stability. But the locking nut makes that unnecessary. What was Tom thinking when he reversed the headstock of that beauty?

I once broke a sting on a Chapman with reverse headstock because I used the manual quick-winder on the wrong direction. Old habits never die 😅

Last edited:
BTW. I've heard that the advantage of the reverse headstock is to reduce the lenght of the first 3 strings to improve their tuning stability. But the locking nut makes that unnecessary. What was Tom thinking when he reversed the headstock of that beauty?

I once broke a sting on a Chapman with reverse headstock because I used the manual quick-winder on the wrong direction. Old habits never die 😅
I think it's just a visual aesthetic...

I think this one would be a nice "twin" to my purple Suhr... My favorite color!433D7EA8-4B31-4F1C-9796-C83A23B75464.jpeg

That kills the flutter experience. But.. wait... I already have my Ibanezes with Lo-Pro Edge for that stuff :D
All depends on how you set it! But yeah... lots of flutter guitars... gotta have one dive bomber that goes back in tune at least. LoL!!! :p

Think of "SE" as "Student Edition", they're not core guitars made in the U.S. factory. There's also the "S2" line which is made in the U.S. factory, and that adds to the price. They're all good guitars, but when you get into the core guitars you're getting a really nice instrument.

I have five core PRS and have a blast playing them. Yeah, a couple of them get a lot more play time than the others, but that's because they're SO fun to play.

If you lean toward super-strat type guitars, look into the Studio guitars. They're fully humbucking but go from a Strat sound to almost a P-90. I play mine more than the rest of my PRS because it is so fun.

If you want one that's like an old Les Paul, look into the DGT model. It's one of their best sellers because it feels and sounds so good.
When you get to a core guitar the money is in the bling - I wish I could say my SC594 LTD was a way better guitar than my S2 singlecut but it isnt haha. Diminishing returns and all that. And Im a PRS fan one might say (two custom 22’s, artist V, artist pk custom 24, singlecut and doublecut 594’s, hollowbody).

Last edited:
If you lean toward super-strat type guitars, look into the Studio guitars. They're fully humbucking but go from a Strat sound to almost a P-90. I play mine more than the rest of my PRS because it is so fun.

I've never been a PRS guy, but the Narrowfield seem like an ideal pickup. I will have to try one of those Studios in the future. I wonder how they stack up against a more traditional HSS superstrat.

Why are we so attracted to purple guitars?
I got a Hermann Li superstrat about 12 years ago when I'd just joined an 80's band... I got a good price and figured the look would be killer for that band. Unfortunately, after liking it in the store I just couldn't bond with it. I'm just not a shredder guitar kinda guy.
lg_23baffd54940c5c14264b12ec8ca5af3.jpg

So I returned it and bought my PRS 513 - there's another superstrat style - and it's been my #1 ever since. You might want to find a used one, or look into getting a 509. Really versatile, of course being mahogany it has it's own vibe.

And +1 on the Studio - I'd love to pick one of those up. I wish the S2 Studios didn't have that ugly pickguard though.

This gives me food for thought

A Ibanez guy that purchased a Suhr to avoid rejection when going to blues jams or jazz gigs with a RG. Before the Suhr he tried PRS, but discarded them because they have Gibsony feel, which he doesn't like at all. I also dislike Pauls. He doesn't explain what is that Gibsony feel that he dislikes, but in my case I don't like them because I find them anti-ergonomic and off balance, specially when sitting. And uncomfortable access to the higher frets. I don't know if that is the case with PRS.

Last edited:
I have liked all 5 PRS guitars that I have owned.........I just never loved them.
I love my Les Paul and my Strat.
Just something about PRS guitars that just don't have that mojo.
I’ve had classic Strats, ES-335s and 345s and great Les Pauls, all that were supposed to have that mojo, before they called it that, yet I wish I’d had PRS guitars years ago because I would have saved SO much money trying to find guitars that worked for me.

Different guitars work differently for each person. Both of my Strats are in the shop for similar repairs, one of my PRS just made the trek cross country for pickup work, and another is scheduled for a visit to my guitar doctor tomorrow. Would I trade any of them? Nope. They’re all good guitars and they’re great guitars in their special time and place.

So I returned it and bought my PRS 513 - there's another superstrat style - and it's been my #1 ever since. You might want to find a used one, or look into getting a 509. Really versatile, of course being mahogany it has it's own vibe.
I have a 509 and it’s a blast! It’s amazing how it goes from a VERY authentic Strat sound to a very good humbucker sound, very much akin to a 335. My Studio is in the ballpark, and my Custom 22 Semi-hollow is right in there too, but they all have their own voices.

I wanted a 513 but they’re hard to find, and this 509 was sitting out there wooing me with its siren call.

I've never been a PRS guy, but the Narrowfield seem like an ideal pickup. I will have to try one of those Studios in the future. I wonder how they stack up against a more traditional HSS superstrat.
I have the Studio and have had “Stratalicious” guitars, great Strats but without the humbuckers, and, even without considering the bridge humbucker, the two Narrowfield pickups will hold their own soundwise. They’re impressive. PRS’ claim to fame with that guitar is the balance between all the pickup settings. They’re nicely balanced.

I had it out last night and it sounded great, clean and clear when I wanted, and began feeding back when I rolled up the volume. It is a workhorse.

PRS has a different scale. I like my CE24 (and I don´t like the modern CE24´s), but I feel much more comfortable with a strat scale. I would never buy a guitar without playing it a this price range.

I prefer post-2020 PRS CU24 with Nitro finish.
Iirc its nitro before then too, just a different formula depending on the year. V12 (the one version they marketed) debuted in 2011. Naturally marketing has to emphasize there is nitro since everybody else does too. Someone will correct me if Im misremembering haha.

How to jump from the SuperStrat to the PRS wagon?​

… with a lot of cash in your pocket.

Seriously, though, I really like S2 and CE. Good value, whatever that means in 2022 o_O

Back
Top Bottom