How to jump from the SuperStrat to the PRS wagon?

This gives me food for thought

I also dislike Pauls. He doesn't explain what is that Gibsony feel that he dislikes, but in my case I don't like them because I find them anti-ergonomic and off balance, specially when sitting. And uncomfortable access to the higher frets. I don't know if that is the case with PRS.

PRS has better upper fret access, and not as spongy/slinky in feel as a Les Paul, due to the increased
scale length that gives a tauter feel, but not as taut as a Strat/Superstrat.

Have you thought about the Fiore sig? It has the Strat scale length of 25.5" It's right in that
Strat/Superstrat realm.

No Purple, and they only come with a Maple board, though.

jioa8ewpk3o5hpkgnt1b.jpg

This gives me food for thought

A Ibanez guy that purchased a Suhr to avoid rejection when going to blues jams or jazz gigs with a RG. Before the Suhr he tried PRS, but discarded them because they have Gibsony feel, which he doesn't like at all. I also dislike Pauls. He doesn't explain what is that Gibsony feel that he dislikes, but in my case I don't like them because I find them anti-ergonomic and off balance, specially when sitting. And uncomfortable access to the higher frets. I don't know if that is the case with PRS.

I believe a lot has to do with the PRS Wide/Fat neck profile. I've had 4 PRS core models, 2 CE24, 1 CE22 and a Brazilian McCarty. Of them all, the McCarty was the least favorite to play with the Wide/Fat neck. The CE22 supposedly had the Wide/Fat as well but felt different and more comfortable than the McCarty, I believe it was a combination of the Maple vs Mahogany shaft wood and different finish type. I also didn't have an issue using Scotch Brite on the CE22 neck, the McCarty was an amazingly beautiful guitar that eventually was sold because I was hesitant to play it live.

I have an Ibanez JS2400 so I am somewhat familiar with the SuperStrat feel. The neck profile is not the Wizard but more of a Fender C with a 42mm nut width. I've played a few other PRS guitars and the set-neck Wide/Fat always seem a bit too awkward for my preference. I do like a fatter neck but with a narrower nut like 1.650" or 1-5/8". That said, the Wide/Thin on the CE24 is extremely comfortable for me even though they have the same nut width as the Wide/Fat. The most comfortable Les Pauls I've played are the Classic and Epiphone 60's Tribute with the Slim Taper neck.

Given your price point, I would recommend taking a look at the Core PRS Tremonti signature. Singlecut with the Wide/Thin neck profile, high output pickups and PRS tremolo. https://reverb.com/item/50605798-prs-paul-reed-smith-usa-signature-tremonti-aquamarine-rosewood-2015

PRS has better upper fret access, and not as spongy/slinky in feel as a Les Paul, due to the increased
scale length that gives a tauter feel, but not as taut as a Strat/Superstrat.

Have you thought about the Fiore sig? It has the Strat scale length of 25.5" It's right in that
Strat/Superstrat realm.

No Purple, and they only come with a Maple board, though.

jioa8ewpk3o5hpkgnt1b.jpg

The upper fret access there looks really bad to me. I loved my Les Paul, but I felt like my wrist was breaking at the highest position. I saw Dave Meniketti live with Y&T a few years ago, and the way he has to contort to hit the highs on his Les Paul made my wrist hurt again just looking at it. Looking at this Fiore, I’m thinking the same thing, as much as it also intrigues me. Makes me want to run to a Dean Exile haha!

For 4K, there are not so many PRS Core line, at least here in Europe. I was in a similar situation some time ago and visited a store close to my home by then, that stocks a ridiculous amount o expensive guitars. I tried a Custom 24 and a Suhr Modern, and walked out the store with the second. I had a PRS SE by then and I did not feel the USA could be worth 5 times the price of the Korean, plus the Suhr was very much nicer in my hands than the PRS, but that is totally a personal thing, maybe I would have liked better another PRS model, or maybe I could have had by then another super Strat at home that made me think spending 3.5K on the Suhr was nonsense.

For the most part and with some exceptions, I think spending 4K, or even 3K on an electric guitar involves removing a lot of rational criteria from the process, and face it like you spending that money on something that you want, rather than on a tool you need that is really worth it based on a feature list.

Last edited:
@JoKeR III dont forget the mccarty has a wider body than the others, which would affect how the neck feels. Wide fat/pattern is my favourite prs shape. Ive tried a regular that was closer to pattern on a ‘21 and it was also comfy. Pattern vintage is similar to gibson 50’s.

@JoKeR III dont forget the mccarty has a wider body than the others, which would affect how the neck feels. Wide fat/pattern is my favourite prs shape. Ive tried a regular that was closer to pattern on a ‘21 and it was also comfy. Pattern vintage is similar to gibson 50’s.
Yes, the body of the McCarty is approximately 1/8" thicker than the CE's but the silhouette is pretty much identical, at least on the core models I had. Not sure I agree that this difference in thickness played any role in the difference in feel. I'm glad you like it but I just didn't like the feel of the McCarty neck in my hands, totally subjective and personal preference.

I have the Studio and have had “Stratalicious” guitars, great Strats but without the humbuckers, and, even without considering the bridge humbucker, the two Narrowfield pickups will hold their own soundwise. They’re impressive. PRS’ claim to fame with that guitar is the balance between all the pickup settings. They’re nicely balanced.

I had it out last night and it sounded great, clean and clear when I wanted, and began feeding back when I rolled up the volume. It is a workhorse.
I love mine. I did make one change to the wiring, since I wasn't using the bridge pickup split. I got their Custom 24 super switch and repurposed the tone knob pull switch to swap the middle spot to instead provide neck+bridge. The new sound sits somewhere in Fat Tele / P90 Lester territory....

Besides the thicker neck, would you highlight other remarkable differences with the USA Jackson and Charvels, in playability and/or tone?
The neck is not necessarily thicker.. its a comfy neck to me, satin finish on it is nice even though I prefer oiled. Its not the typical painted neck I have played.... easy to play, I credit the 25" scale for that(right or wrong)🤣
Tone is different but then again tone varies between my Jacksons and Charvels. I like the tone of it, nice pickups... good variety... reacts to the volume knob nicely. I will note this... I looked at both Sweetwater and MF and the price has gone up $150 since I bought mine in April. I ordered PRS case too... yeah a $2700 that comes with a gigbag only. the case was back ordered and it is to be delivered tomorrow. funny that it shipped the same day you started this thread.. thanks to you 🍺 🤣🤣🤣
My cons...
Floyd 1000 instead of original... its fine just at this price range I would prefer the absolute best.
Painted neck... Just a visual preference for me to have a non-painted neck on a bolt-on
Non Recessed control plate... not only is the spring plate not recessed neither is the control plate.

To reiterate again.. I love the playability... nice fret work, smooth neck.. sounds great

The Wide/Fat neck profile is nowhere close to being as chunky as the necks on my Gibsons. It's
thick and fulll (which is my preference) but not a club like a traditional 50s neck profile.

I also have a Pattern Regular on one of my PRSs, and my buddy has a Tremonti with the Wide/Thin.
The Pattern Regular is close to my Charvel DK24. The Wide/Thin feels close to a Gibson 60s Slim Taper
to my hands. None of the PRS guitars have anything remotely like a Wizard neck that I know of.

I have a 509 and it’s a blast! It’s amazing how it goes from a VERY authentic Strat sound to a very good humbucker sound, very much akin to a 335. My Studio is in the ballpark, and my Custom 22 Semi-hollow is right in there too, but they all have their own voices.

I wanted a 513 but they’re hard to find, and this 509 was sitting out there wooing me with its siren call.
I really lucked out on my 513; I paid $1500 for it!!! (some GC guy was asleep at the wheel that day ;-).

Your description is pretty much the same as mine; Strat to full-on rocker, although not metal (of course the Axe can handle that when I need). I almost never use the "full humbucker" setting, it's a bit dark especially since this guitar doesn't have a maple top - it's all mahogany. And since my main "Strat" is actually a G&L with the MFD pickups, this is right in line with a slightly hotter Strat anyway. I also found an extra "notch" position on the 3-way selector between the "single coil" and the "clear humbucker" that seems to defeat the noiseless single-coil circuit and gives me true SC which really gets to the thinner vintage Strat vibe.

I've never had a 335, but yea it gets kinda close to my Ibanez AS200 (pre-Scofield model), and I can get "close enough" to LP tones when I want (again, with some help from the Axe). I'd get another 513 or 509 in a heartbeat although I'd rather go for variety with a Studio, Swamp Ash Special, or Fiore.

You know, this really SUCKS! Mainly for the OP right now, but really for all of us. People trying to describe in words, something that is completely subjective, how a guitar feels in their hands. How did this happen? How did it happen that so many of us can't go into an actual music store and try out various neck profiles, for example? Just sayin'...

I have a 509 and it’s a blast! It’s amazing how it goes from a VERY authentic Strat sound to a very good humbucker sound, very much akin to a 335. My Studio is in the ballpark, and my Custom 22 Semi-hollow is right in there too, but they all have their own voices.

I wanted a 513 but they’re hard to find, and this 509 was sitting out there wooing me with its siren call.
I also have a 509... Swamp Ash Wood Library Artist quilt... Killer freaking guitar no matter the switching positions and coils active. Wouldn't sell that guitar even if we were losing the house!!!

The one in my profile pic!

Well I figure I’ll chime in. I have 3 core PRSi. A 2001 McCarty, I think it’s around 2010 513 Swamp Ash and a 2016 Custom 24 with an Indian Rosewood neck and Ebony fretboard in a satin finish. From what I gather the OP is not from the states so being able to play before buying might be tough, but I could never spend the core money without playing first. I would skip the SE or S2 if you really want the true superior PRS and guitar.

Now as far as those who say they can never bond with a PRS. I have a good bit of experience with this. A long time friend (we don’t hang as much anymore) who has played mostly Fenders (Strats and a vintage Tele with a very thin neck at the nut) bought a SE CU24 and just complained about the neck and fiddled with setups, etc.. He would play my Core guitars that all have slightly different necks. The McCarty being a wide fat and it is. The 513 has a maple with rosewood board and is what they called a Patten regular. The CU 24 is a PR, but slightly different than the 513. I kept trying to get him to tell me what the heck was the problem. He could never articulate it. (I think partly he is not a whammy guy and that was something he just didn’t need, but it was the necks that were the real issue) He would ask me what I liked in a neck and my response is I like any neck that is properly made. I would pick up any of his guitars and liked them all. Overall I tend to like a meatier neck with flatter radius, but to me all the different shapes facilitate a different way of playing and I adjust my playing and get the most out of it. Some are better for bluesy and bends, some are speed, legato type and some are great for chording. In fact I thought I was done buying guitars, but I once had a nice Ibanez RG with a Wizard neck. I loved ripping on that thing, but like a dummy sold it and always missed it. A year ago I decided I wanted a shredder and couldn’t find a RG with the right specs that wasn’t expensive. So I got a really nice Sweetwater house spec Schecter BlackJack SLS Avenger FR-S. I love tearing it up on that guitar.

Anyway, I don’t have any sort of weird loyalty to PRS and am fine with some players needing a specific guitar and neck. It seems like the ones who have the hardest time are those who have always played traditional Fenders. However, like my friend and others I feel there’s a psychological issue at play. There are definitely straight up PRS haters out there and while I’m not accusing everyone that can’t get along with a PRS with imagining their problem, there’s a stupid stigma that has propagated and I swear some people just can’t get over it.

I know one thing the prices of all nicer guitars are rising rapidly so if you want to drop some $$ on a high end guitar I would do it now. That Schecter I paid $1249.00 about 15 months ago is now $1649.00 US. I know this is of no help now, but the #1 PRS in the OP was the one to get. That just had that “I’m better than others” look.

I can say that @Greg Ferguson recommendation on the Studio line would be an excellent first Core PRS if you can find one in the price range. I live less than 2 hours from the PRS factory so I guess I’m a bit spoiled. Also, I played for almost 20 years before I could afford a PRS, but swore I would own one when I first saw Carlos play one in the 80’s. I had no reason to feel like I had some over priced piece of jewelry. I earned it. And I’m not a doctor or lawyer.😉

To the OP show us some more if you find some.

Last edited:
You know, this really SUCKS! Mainly for the OP right now, but really for all of us. People trying to describe in words, something that is completely subjective, how a guitar feels in their hands. How did this happen? How did it happen that so many of us can't go into an actual music store and try out various neck profiles, for example? Just sayin'...

I thought that the dealer in Thailand had no shop, but I've just found that they have one at the Siam Paragon mall in Bangkok

I feel very uncomfortable when perceiving the pressure of a shop owner that believes that you are not going to buy a thing. Specially if I know myself that I will probably not buy anything that day or buy second hand. But I will try

Last edited:
Well I figure I’ll chime in. I have 3 core PRSi. A 2001 McCarty, I think it’s around 2010 513 Swamp Ash and a 2016 Custom 24 with an Indian Rosewood neck and Ebony fretboard in a satin finish. From what I gather the OP is not from the states so being able to play before buying might be tough, but I could never spend the core money without playing first. I would skip the SE or S2 if you really want the true superior PRS and guitar.

Now as far as those who say they can never bond with a PRS. I have a good bit of experience with this. A long time friend (we don’t hang as much anymore) who has played mostly Fenders (Strats and a vintage Tele with a very thin neck at the nut) bought a SE CU24 and just complained about the neck and fiddled with setups, etc.. He would play my Core guitars that all have slightly different necks. The McCarty being a wide fat and it is. The 513 has a maple with rosewood board and is what they called a Patten regular. The CU 24 is a PR, but slightly different than the 513. I kept trying to get him to tell me what the heck was the problem. He could never articulate it. (I think partly he is not a whammy guy and that was something he just didn’t need, but it was the necks that were the real issue) He would ask me what I liked in a neck and my response is I like any neck that is properly made. I would pick up any of his guitars and liked them all. Overall I tend to like a meatier neck with flatter radius, but to me all the different shapes facilitate a different way of playing and I adjust my playing and get the most out of it. Some are better for bluesy and bends, some are speed, legato type and some are great for chording. In fact I thought I was done buying guitars, but I once had a nice Ibanez RG with a Wizard neck. I loved ripping on that thing, but like a dummy sold it and always missed it. A year ago I decided I wanted a shredder and couldn’t find a RG with the right specs that wasn’t expensive. So I got a really nice Sweetwater house spec Schecter BlackJack SLS Avenger FR-S. I love tearing it up on that guitar.

Anyway, I don’t have any sort of weird loyalty to PRS and am fine with some players needing a specific guitar and neck. It seems like the ones who have the hardest time are those who have always played traditional Fenders. However, like my friend and others I feel there’s a psychological issue at play. There are definitely straight up PRS haters out there and while I’m not accusing everyone that can’t get along with a PRS with imagining their problem, there’s a stupid stigma that has propagated and I swear some people just can’t get over it.

I know one thing the prices of all nicer guitars are rising rapidly so if you want to drop some $$ on a high end guitar I would do it now. That Schecter I paid $1249.00 about 15 months ago is now $1649.00 US. I know this is of no help now, but the #1 PRS in the OP was the one to get. That just had that “I’m better than others” look.

I can say that @Greg Ferguson recommendation on the Studio line would be an excellent first Core PRS if you can find one in the price range. I live less than 2 hours from the PRS factory so I guess I’m a bit spoiled. Also, I played for almost 20 years before I could afford a PRS, but swore I would own one when I first saw Carlos play one in the 80’s. I had no reason to feel like I had some over priced piece of jewelry. I earned it. And I’m not a doctor or lawyer.😉

To the OP show us some more if you find some.
I've never been picky about neck thickness, width, or FB radius... Guess I'm just blessed!

Never met a PRS I truly disliked, and meet a heck of a lot I loved! I like all style guitars, though!

I thought that the dealer in Thailand had no shop, but I've just found that they have one at the Siam Paragon mall in Bangkok

I feel very uncomfortable when perceiving the pressure of a shop owner that believes that you are not going to buy a thing. Specially if I know myself that I will probably not buy anything that day or buy second hand. But I will try

Gotta love that purple, and the Bonnie Pink. The Silver Sky next to the Bonnie Pink was pretty nice, too. What was that? Midnight Rose?

Definitely more than a few to look at there. I know how you feel with using a dealer to do test drives. I would try and pick a few that appeal and play them for a bit. Take the extra time to get them properly tuned.

Back
Top Bottom