How to increase the volume of the dry signal when recording?

Hansen

Experienced
I am recording two signals at once, wet and dry, in Cubase. In order to increase the volume of the wet signal i use output. But how can i increase the signal of the dry one?

I am recording two signals at once, wet and dry, in Cubase. In order to increase the volume of the wet signal i use output. But how can i increase the signal of the dry one?

Try routing the dry track back into the AxeFx II.

If you are not used to re-amping, the dry track level can seem way too low, but it works for reamping.

Richard

OK. We are going to record an album in the autumn and the studio guy came to my place to check the setup, as I will record dry guitars at home. He said the dry signal would work, but that it would be nice if it was a bit higher.
Anyway, why should it noe be higher?

It's not possible to get it higher via I/O settings?

For what i remember, you can level an input in cubase, i mean apply a gain directly on the input during recording session, there's a gain knob on the input channel strip.

If it needs to be higher your sound engineer can do this when you go in. its better to be cold than too hot

guys.... you need to look at what Cliff has said... "you don't want to"

because if you boost the dry level, when you reamp it'll no longer reflect the level of your guitar..
your clean tones will start crunching,
your crunch tone will head towards high hi-gain,
and your hi-gain tones may get out of control, fizz up and lose definition..

the ONLY time you need to play with dry level is when you reamp without using the Axe's USB
and then you have to go to great lengths to try to mach the level of the reamped signal to the level that your guitar actually pumps into the Axe..
and seriously, this takes time and great care

if you reamp via the USB, just leave the level alone

Last edited:
Exactly. Absolutely nonsense to increase the dry level ... dry level = guitar level = correct reamp level ... test it for yourself: record dry and processed signal. reamp the the dry signal with the processed routing. Result: Identical tracks ... i love the easyness ... no level matchings needed anymore ...so simple .. it works just perfect ...

Just for the record: your SNR-ratio is setup with In GAIN (I/0). After A/D what will you win, when increasing the dry level in digital area? SNR? No! Dynamics? No! That said, the whole SNR theme is absolutuley overdiscussed. In the Analog world ... yep, ok ... but now in the diital world? the noise floor from todays converters is so low ... and the high-ended in the Axe not noticable (for me) ... the noise floor from the Amps are x-times higher ....

Last edited:
clarky got it.

If you change the gain in any way, when you reamp, you most likely won't get the same result as the original wet track.

I would just leave the dry track be until it caused a problem. There are many ways in many DAW's to add gain. Don't sweat it unless it becomes an issue.

Richard

If you are going to reamp with the Axe, leave it as is. If you are going to reamp with something else, using analog outs on an interface, I would raise the level on the track within the DAW before hitting the DA. And be absolutely sure to record in 24 bit...

I am using my Axe FX as a DAW and recording both wet and a dry signal. The dry signal quality is good, however it is very low. How can I increase the volume of the dry signal?

Bump.
I am going to re-amp with an amp. This is for an album recording.

Is it still not possible to beef up the dry signal?

Wiki:

• The DI signal level of channels 3 and 4 is fixed, and for good reason. When you send that signal back in the Axe-Fx II, it has the same level as the original signal sent to the grid. This means you don't have to adjust anything when reamping. You simply send the signal back. source
  • Cliff: "You are getting a bit-copy of the signal out of your guitar. Do not adjust the level. It may sound quiet because your guitar IS quiet when not amplified. When you put that signal back into the Axe-Fx it will be gained up and sound just like when you are playing through the Axe-Fx." source

The dry signal from the axe is pristine clean and at perfect level.
If your engineer needs to beef it up, there will be absolutely no problem to do it within his daw .
If he can't do that, i just advise you to get rid of this sound engineer :)

Bump.
I am going to re-amp with an amp. This is for an album recording.

Is it still not possible to beef up the dry signal?
the dry signal is the same exact dry signal that would be going into your amp. why do you want to beef it up? that's not what came out of the guitar ever.

Ok. So I am using a PRS with bareknuckle pickups. I have used to set INST IN at 50%. However I noticed that if I increase it I get a higher dry signal in Cubase. I did not really tickle the red that much at 50% so I have put it at 75% and it still works fine. So perhaps that was the solution?

It's a low level because a guitar outputs a very low level signal. Keep it there for re-amping. Don't boost it. You can alter the level post processing. It's correct exactly how the Axe FX puts it out. Ask your engineer. He'll tell you the same. Best of luck! :)

Ok. So I am using a PRS with bareknuckle pickups. I have used to set INST IN at 50%. However I noticed that if I increase it I get a higher dry signal in Cubase. I did not really tickle the red that much at 50% so I have put it at 75% and it still works fine. So perhaps that was the solution?
sure. sounds like this problem is resolved.

Thanks. So I am going to record guitars for our new album now. I am recording a dry signal for re-amping. However, for listening I am recording a wet signal at the same time. What is the correct way to set this up in Cubase with regards to monitoring and latency issues? Should I get the wet sound as a monitor from Cubase or should I just get it directly from the speakers on the Axe?

Back
Top Bottom