How to Flip Phase on Tremolo?

Rex

Dignified but Approachable
I'm covering a song that calls for occassional one-measure bursts of pulsing triplets. I've set up a momentary footswitch for this, tied to the Bypass parameter on a tremolo that's set up for a square wave. Stomp it, and the pulsating begins, Release it, and you're back to straight-through. I've got it all worked out except for the synchronization.

The problem is the phase of the tremolo. When you unbypass the tremolo, it starts at a minimum, then alternates between maximum and minimum. That means I have to stomp the switch a half-triplet after I hit the chord—tricky to do, at best. If I could get the trem to start at a maximum instead of a minimum, then I could stomp the switch at the same time I hit the chord, which would be much easier.

Who can help me figure out how to change the phase of the trem? (I know someone is going to suggest the LFO Phase parameter, but that just affects one side of the signal, and I need it to work on both channels. :) )

If it is Mono and you just want to reverse the phase, you can shift the balance right and use the LFO phase. Otherwise you can use a volume block and lfo1b with the phase at 180.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rex
The LFOs in blocks don't reset when you unbypass them; they're always running so the alignment will be somewhat random.

The only reliable way to do this is with one of the control menu LFOs assigned to a volume/level parameter. Assign the switch to LFO Run. Note that the square waveform starts at minimum (I think--was like this on Axe 1) so you need to swap modifier min/max or start/end to get the desired sync.

Reactions: Rex
The LFOs in blocks don't reset when you unbypass them; they're always running so the alignment will be somewhat random.

The only reliable way to do this is with one of the control menu LFOs assigned to a volume/level parameter. Assign the switch to LFO Run. Note that the square waveform starts at minimum (I think--was like this on Axe 1) so you need to swap modifier min/max or start/end to get the desired sync.

or use lfo1b with phase at 180.

Thanks, guys. LFO 1B, with my footswitch assigned to Run, did the trick. Way easier to play this passage now. :)

That's weird. I could get pretty consistent results with a carefully-timed half-triplet stomp, almost as if it were triggered by the footswitch.

Thanks, guys. LFO 1B, with my footswitch assigned to Run, did the trick. Way easier to play this passage now. :)

That's weird. I could get pretty consistent results with a carefully-timed half-triplet stomp, almost as if it were triggered by the footswitch.

Bakerman is correct, the LFO keeps running whether the effect is bypassed or not. It is the main reason the Run parameter was added to the LFO.

Bakerman is correct, the LFO keeps running whether the effect is bypassed or not. It is the main reason the Run parameter was added to the LFO.
I'm not doubting him so much as puzzling over why I got such consistent results.

Back
Top Bottom