How precise is the Axe 5153 Red to the real amp?

Ironwill

Experienced
How precise is the Axe fx II 5153 Red parameters of Drive, Presence and MasterVolume in FW 19 to the real amp actually, are they different at same positions??

Since control pots (and tubes and everything else) can vary slightly from physical amp to amp, I'd use the real amp settings to get in the ballpark, then tweak them to taste in the Axe.

TT

What does it matter? Close your eyes and adjust them until it sounds good.
This gets repeated a lot. It's a good mantra on anything with settings. I have had great success with this when recently re-doing my band presets after swapping from the II to the XL+. Just play, turn knobs or push buttons until is sounds best, save. It almost becomes a fun sort of suspenseful game seeing what you get. For example, I wanted to put a drive pedal in front of a Maz 38 amp, and would normally pick the tried and true TS808. But selecting by ear alone, I ended up with the Eternal Love pedal... the Lovepedal Eternity model. I have never played this pedal live, never even seen one in person, and would have been very unlikely to select it in normal circumstances. It sounds so good the other guitarist in my band walked across the stage to ask what it was the first time I used it live. That, my friend, is what you want.

Trust those ears. I'd bet the model is as close as one 5150 III amp is to the next.

I started to get far better tone when I stopped trying to emulate other people's knob settings and just starting turning the knobs and listening to what sounded good to me.

This can't be said enough. Quit looking at knobs believing if you get them just right, you'll sound like <your hero>. Spend more time with picking the right cab, tweak the simplest parts of the amp (TMB), and dive into the advanced ones when (or IF!) your ears tell you you're close.

If you really need to know the Drive and Presence are within the tolerance of the pots. The MV may or may not be the same. The Axe-Fx II uses the same taper for the MV for every amp model. It doesn't matter though. The important thing is to understand what the MV does and learn to hear its effects. MV controls the power amp drive. At low levels the power amp will be operating in its linear region. As you turn MV up the power amp will start to distort. A little power amp distortion makes an amp sound better that's why amps have a "sweet spot". When you hit the sweet spot the tone gets smoother and the amp gets bouncier because the power supply is working harder.

You will get far better tones if you concentrate on learning what the knobs do and how they affect the sound than mindlessly copying amp settings off a video or forum or something.

Thank you for the kind advise's how to dial in,
Iam not trying to match anything actually, it was just curiosity at all! Very bad asked maybe.. and to mention my favorite Axe Amp, well , was more about the new G3 technology and how precise is that with the pots.
:p
Doesn't matter right..

If you really need to know the Drive and Presence are within the tolerance of the pots. The MV may or may not be the same. The Axe-Fx II uses the same taper for the MV for every amp model. It doesn't matter though. The important thing is to understand what the MV does and learn to hear its effects. MV controls the power amp drive. At low levels the power amp will be operating in its linear region. As you turn MV up the power amp will start to distort. A little power amp distortion makes an amp sound better that's why amps have a "sweet spot". When you hit the sweet spot the tone gets smoother and the amp gets bouncier because the power supply is working harder.

You will get far better tones if you concentrate on learning what the knobs do and how they affect the sound than mindlessly copying amp settings off a video or forum or something.

Alrighty,nice to hear from you, thx a lot Cliff!!

What was your sweet spot you choosed there for the Red channel defaults " 4" on the real Amp then? Would be interesting

This gets repeated a lot. It's a good mantra on anything with settings. I have had great success with this when recently re-doing my band presets after swapping from the II to the XL+. Just play, turn knobs or push buttons until is sounds best, save. It almost becomes a fun sort of suspenseful game seeing what you get. For example, I wanted to put a drive pedal in front of a Maz 38 amp, and would normally pick the tried and true TS808. But selecting by ear alone, I ended up with the Eternal Love pedal... the Lovepedal Eternity model. I have never played this pedal live, never even seen one in person, and would have been very unlikely to select it in normal circumstances. It sounds so good the other guitarist in my band walked across the stage to ask what it was the first time I used it live. That, my friend, is what you want.

Trust those ears. I'd bet the model is as close as one 5150 III amp is to the next.
After reading your post I tried out the Eternal Love pedal. Very nice! Really can't decide whether to use this or the TS808 mod now.

What was your sweet spot you choosed there for the Red channel defaults " 4" on the real Amp then? Would be interesting

IMO, the sweet spot of the MV depends on the current Drive adjustment...the more drive, the more power hits he input of the power amp section ... so, it is variable ...and interacts eachother...

IMO, the sweet spot of the MV depends on the current Drive adjustment...the more drive, the more power hits he input of the power amp section ... so, it is variable ...and interacts eachother...
M
Would mean you can't translate the default value on the MV to the real amp or a certain spot because it depends on the Drive setting before,

M
Would mean you can't translate the default value on the MV to the real amp or a certain spot because it depends on the Drive setting before,

Basically, except that Drive is very close to the real amp too. Meaning that if you match both knobs, you'll match the basic tone.

I don't pay attention to the real amps though - it's much better being able to turn MV to wherever it sounds best, without having to deal with the uncomfortable volume!

How precise is the Axe fx II 5153 Red parameters of Drive, Presence and MasterVolume in FW 19 to the real amp actually, are they different at same positions??

I would say as close as 2 different amps , probably exact to the one Cliff has , but not necessarily yours, each real amp will be a little different !

Back
Top Bottom