How often are you using your USB/Midi In, Midi Out/Thru jacks?

Please excuse my inexperience on this. I'm putting an access panel on the front of my rig and I am wondering how often you guys are using the USB/Midi In, Midi Out/Thru jacks and for what reasons. I'm tempted to sacrifice these connections in favor of some additional Ins/Outs but don't NEED to. Thanks in advance for your input! ;)

Mine are constantly connected... but that's largely because it forms part a whole sequencer controlled system with no pedalboards etc

Coverd-Rack.jpg

Please excuse my inexperience on this. I'm putting an access panel on the front of my rig and I am wondering how often you guys are using the USB/Midi In, Midi Out/Thru jacks and for what reasons. I'm tempted to sacrifice these connections in favor of some additional Ins/Outs but don't NEED to. Thanks in advance for your input! ;)

I use MIDI for connecting my MFC to the Axe2 when playing live (my Axe2 and MFC are both older non- FASLink units. FASLink makes the difference of course!). I don't trust RJ connectors for long term permanent plugging und unplugging under live conditions and found a good and stable system for Midi plugs with a metallic case and bajonet fitting. This includes an intentionally separated power supply for the MFC to keep the additional load away from my Axe. The only drawback is you need to be skilled in soldering when making these cables (everything's really small and needs care for isolating)

I use midi ports for floorboard. If you don't use one, or use a new MFC, it's a non-issue.

I leave all the cables 'in' and just connect up the other ends of them..
for example, the jack cables are about 2' long.. they can reach the mixer in the studio, and also reach the poweramp in the rack..

when I'm going out the play live, I tend to leave all the cables in the Axe. I just coil them up inside the rack and pop the back on..

You need the midi out of the Axe if you want to update your MFC, so yeah, you should keep it accessable!

unless you have a MIDI interface. I never use the Axe-fx to update the mfc-101.

I use the MIDI IN and THRU constantly with my foot controller and other audio devices for midi control.

I would be careful with USB and MIDI on a panel. I've handled a few support cases where these types of interfaces cause problems.

I would be careful with USB and MIDI on a panel. I've handled a few support cases where these types of interfaces cause problems.

I had such a problem too. It turned out to be a ground loop problem between the MIDI socket (cable shielded) GND and the GND of the (Neutrik-) USB socket via the common panel. After removing the (default) connection between the USB GND and the outer metallic case within the Neutrik USB socket everything worked fine.

What is a better solution for USB ?

Just to maybe get a short extension cable and tape it to the top or bottom of the rack case ?

Basically the reason I'd want USB on a panel, its because I'm always plugging/unplugging USB when I want to use the editor on my PC, and I worry about the wear/tear on the jack on the back of my Axe. Don't want it to start to wear out and get loose or something. So I'd rather have something readily replaceable like a USB pass through on a panel.

Plug into the panel USB and if it wears out, replace it easily. Thus part of the point of a panel, right ?

Don't want ground loop issues though, especially after spending a few hundred bucks on a custom panel, so any work around ? Maybe just a USB extension with a few inches of the female end sticking out the front of the rack or something ?

What is everyone doing as a work around ? (Don't say just edit with front panel, I really enjoy Axe-Edit too much)

I use the USB anytime I'm in the bedroom studio, for Axe-Edit.

I only intermittently use the midi in/outs occasionally for MFC-101 FW updates.

I have a Mk I MFC & AxeFX II, but have converted to Ethercon connectors, which I use for MFC connection; to go easy on the CAT5 jacks.

I use them all day, everyday. I guess I don't understand why you're asking *us* if *you* need them, though, only you know how your rig is setup. ;)

I have a second, smaller floorboard that I use when I don't have space for my MFC. That's the only time I ever use the MIDI jacks, which I do have on a panel. I have USB on the panel, too, as I use it all the time to upload and download patches and cabs and firmware updates. I've never had any ground problems because of the USB being on my panel.

The only panel issue I did have was with my MIDI jacks. Initially, I had them located beside my Output 1 L/R jacks, and I was hearing the pulse of the tap tempo data through my outputs (sounded like the metronome). I had to shift the MIDI jacks over a few spaces, but it's fine now. I have them currently between my USB and Pedal jacks.

I have an older Axe and MFC with the ethercon connector and I've never felt that it was too fragile to use. I gig about 150 times a year, so my MFC gets plenty of use (I don't bring it to every gig, though). Now if it were an unprotected RJ cable, then yes, I'd be worried, but the Ethercon casing is pretty solid. That said, the simplicity of Faslink (and the ubiquitousness of XLR cables) makes it the best choice, but I wouldn't write off ethercon.

It seems the midi ports are more or less unnecessary if you have a newer AXE /MFC which utilize the FASLINK.

Not necessarily. I have an XL and MarkIII with Faslink and I use the midi through to send my control signals to a Voiceworks+ vocal harmonizer and a GCX switcher. ( I see a VW+ in the above rack photo too... so I guess I'm not alone here!) I've been thinking about using a sequencer for scene and patch changes too... but I'm not there yet.

Back
Top Bottom