How much will it cost? Hmmm.....

Do we know what kind of CPU the FX8 is going to have? Is it one ore two? I figure FAS will use one Tiger Sharc...

I would agree that $1000 is the "right" price, based on what other pedals are out there, but I would guess that FAS will sell the FX8 for $1500-1800

I just hope the architecture is different - so that the looper is 'global' (sits outside of patches) so you can loop with one patch, switch to another, add to that loop with the new effect(s), rinse and repeat. If it is still as limited as I've found the current looper, I'll be disappointed, though I *still* might buy one if there's some kind of patch-exchange compatibility between it and my II, as part of a 'b' rack to use with club's backline amp.

I just got an M13, and I love it - though I've mostly despised Line 6 stuff in the past (modelers). G-System only had mono external FX loop, I believe. That was a deal breaker, one of the things that led me to buy my first Axe, an Ultra, 'cause I knew I'd be using it with a PCM-70, which is an odd duck: mono in, stereo out.
The mistake they made (IMO) is not giving the NOVA system a dedicate s/r for amps with loops. They did it to make folks purchase the G-System. You can use the Nova system in a loop but when you do -- you cannot use the OD (which is great by the way).

If they upgraded the Nova system to handle 4 cables and expand the switching and patch options they would sell like hot cakes and would be a serious competitor to the M13 and the future FX8.

t-Rex soul Mate does this but the effects they offer are limited (no modulation) and they are asking $599.

I don't think they can give the soulMates away. Line 6 M13 blows it out of the water for less money

SOULMATE

SoulMate-FRONT.jpg

I just got an M13, and I love it - though I've mostly despised Line 6 stuff in the past (modelers). G-System only had mono external FX loop, I believe. That was a deal breaker, one of the things that led me to buy my first Axe, an Ultra, 'cause I knew I'd be using it with a PCM-70, which is an odd duck: mono in, stereo out.

M13 rocks....

I was going to buy one but figured I'd wait to see what happens with the FX8.

I have my board pretty well configured so I am no hurry.

Regarding the PCM-70. That odd and old duck still out quacks the best of them.

You mean just like how FAS is missing out on the same segment by not making the Axe Fx 2 about $1500? Less than $1000 for the Fx8, not a chance!

A lot of big companies like Line 6 (in the guitar modelling space, but you can see it in any market - cars, dishwashers, anything) are building stuff to a price point. I.e. they decide the price first based on what they think they can sell the most units at, set themselves a reasonable margin and then cut features and quality out of component to reach that price point. Not good or bad, but that’s how most businesses operate that are run mostly by accountants or where the quarterly stock market value is king. Everything around Line 6 has this feel around it. Mass-produced ok stuff built to a specific price point. Nothing around FAS has this feel. I can not for the life of me imagine that Cliff has once said - what can we build that we can sell at $999. Not once. Neither can I image there has ever been a discussion - but we’re missing out on this mid market segment. Not once either.

FAS just have the feel of a company that builds the best stuff that they know how to build for the market that they are targeting, then they figure out what the price is going come in at using the quality components they want to have in the product, set the price where it needs to be to make business sense and hope that they have hit the mark and that enough people are going to like what they’ve built enough to warrant the inevitable high price that will be attached to such a product. And judging from how well the Axe Fx range has done, I’d say their track record is pretty good. But imagine going to your company accountant saying that in order to compete with the market leading product - the Line 6 Pod HD500x at about $499, we’re going to launch the Axe Fx 2 XL at $2,499!!! If you care about market share, that’s just not how you would do things.

The more I think about this, the more I think the price is going to be in the upper $1000’s and that $1999 is much more likely than $999. So I’ll place my current bet at $1799. $2499 for the XL, $2199 for the 2 and $1799 for the Fx8.

You can't compare the AxeFX2 to the FX8. The "effects" part of the AxeFX2 is just half of the unit. The other half is the amps and cabs simulations. Realistically, the FX8 would be half the price of the AxeFX2. Also take into account that Cliff said that the FX8 doesn't have all of the effects in the AxeFX2, it would probably come in at a little less than half.

Remember that the AxeFX2 is aimed for professionals. While I have no doubts that the FX8 will be built towards the same perfection, or that it will feel cheap, I would hope that they aim this unit to a little "less" professional. Having it at around 1000-1200$ would really be the sweetspot. Again, just because the AxeFX2 is not aimed for the general musicians doesn't mean that the FX8 won't be.

But really, it's quite stupid to speculate, let's just wait and see. Personally, I think 1000-1200$ is a good price. You're free to think whatever you want :)

I am with you on this.

I have an AF2 I use at home and I am use to the Axe-FX editing workflow and love the idea of having an Axe-like multi-effects unit with scenes and desktop editing.

However, when gigging, 99% of the time I use a Carol Ann OD3r and have a compact pedalboard that gets the job nicely done.

IMG_0937_zpsf6b3e53a.jpg

Believe me I want the FX8, I even purchased the XLR to midi converter box from Carol-Ann so the OD3r channels can be controlled by the FX8 -- but if it is too expensive ... I will have to pass.

Nice little Board. Been wanting one of those H9's for my mini gig board....

You can't compare the AxeFX2 to the FX8. The "effects" part of the AxeFX2 is just half of the unit. The other half is the amps and cabs simulations. Realistically, the FX8 would be half the price of the AxeFX2. Also take into account that Cliff said that the FX8 doesn't have all of the effects in the AxeFX2, it would probably come in at a little less than half.

Remember that the AxeFX2 is aimed for professionals. While I have no doubts that the FX8 will be built towards the same perfection, or that it will feel cheap, I would hope that they aim this unit to a little "less" professional. Having it at around 1000-1200$ would really be the sweetspot. Again, just because the AxeFX2 is not aimed for the general musicians doesn't mean that the FX8 won't be.

But really, it's quite stupid to speculate, let's just wait and see. Personally, I think 1000-1200$ is a good price. You're free to think whatever you want :)

Sure you can compare. First, the price of the Axe Fx’s is an indication what FAS customers are willing to pay for stuff. And yes, not every single effects block is in there, but the Fx8 will also do more - it has a builtin amp channel control function and it has the foot controller so if we follow your logic of half that would have to be $2500 + $800 / 2 = $1600 (+ the cost of a midi controlled channel switcher). But half the features (not necessarily agree with that assessment) does not equal half the value. There’s already plenty of FAS customers that purchase the Axe Fx 2 XL and the MFC and use it in the effects loop of their amp or using the 4cm. I’d say those people are the target market. Not potential customers wanting a better Line 6 M13.

I also don’t think it’s stupid to speculate. In any business one of the hardest things to do is to price stuff. So having a serious think of how to price a new product is a very worthwhile exercise from a business education point of view :).

I still feel good about my guess of $1799.

Last edited:
Sure you can compare. First, the price of the Axe Fx’s is an indication what FAS customers are willing to pay for stuff. And yes, not every single effects block is in there, but the Fx8 will also do more - it has a builtin amp channel control function and it has the foot controller so if we follow your logic of half that would have to be $2500 + $800 / 2 = $1600 (+ the cost of a midi controlled channel switcher). But half the features (not necessarily agree with that assessment) does not equal half the value. There’s already plenty of FAS customers that purchase the Axe Fx 2 XL and the MFC and use it in the effects loop of their amp or using the 4cm. I’d say those people are the target market. Not potential customers wanting a better Line 6 M13.

I also don’t think it’s stupid to speculate. In any business one of the hardest things to do is to price stuff. So having a serious think of how to price a new product is a very worthwhile exercise from a business education point of view :).

I still feel good about my guess of $1799.

Yea, I would agree on the pricing of the FX8. The biggest difference between the Axe 2 and the FX8 is software (amp and cab sims). Since FAS owns the software, it would not change the costs to produce the FX8.

Nice little Board. Been wanting one of those H9's for my mini gig board....

H9 is great. It eliminates about a doz pedals on my board. I created and loaded the following patches on the unit:

1. Delays (3 settings - general fatness, lead and slap)
2. Tremolo
3. Chorus
4. Phaser
5. Vibe
6. Leslie
7. Flange
8. compressor (couple of odd compressor settings (funk/disco and 2 that turn your strat into a big box jazz guitar and one that turns your LP into a strat)
9. Q-Wah -- amazing!!!!!!

Even though I have all of those programmed -- I pretty mostly just use the delays, tremolo, vibe (very subtle), phaser and Q-wah the most.

Can tweak it with my iPhone at a gig.

Its limitations are obvious (unless you have really deep pockets and can buy a few)-- It really sounds great.. very happy with it.

I have the volume pedal in the loop of the Carol-Ann that way I use it as a master volume with the amp and OD channels.

Last edited:
Well, I'm glad we know the price. Sadly, that's just too rich for my blood. Thankfully, the Axe will cover my needs :p

Reactions: LVC
I guessed $1400 as a low, and price is $1349. I commend myself for my guesstimation skills!

When possible, I will pick this up, along with the new product I hope Fractal comes out with: an IR loader like the Logidy Epsi, only one which can be controlled by midi to change setting on the fly and sync-able with the FX8!

:)

Back
Top Bottom