How much will it cost? Hmmm.....

H9 is great. It eliminates about a doz pedals on my board. I created and loaded the following patches on the unit:

How is the tweakablity on fly for the H9? That's one thing that is missing for me in the Axe fx II and I think also in the FX8. Don't see any 'tweak knobs' on the FX8. I do a lot a live improvisation stuff with tweaking effect parameters on the fly. Don't want to be tied to fixed presets or go through all kinds of menus to adjust things. That's why I still use pedals along with my Axe fx. Really wonder how the H9 behaves for this when using it on stage. Also: can you use more than one effect at once with the H9?

Last edited:
Just use one ore more expression pedals with the FX8 to control the parameters you want on the fly.....Same for the Axe fx

Just use one ore more expression pedals with the FX8 to control the parameters you want on the fly.....Same for the Axe fx

That's not what I mean. It's not the same thing. I don't want preplanned presets. Just tweaking on the fly. With expression pedals you have to plan the presets.

How is the tweakablity on fly for the H9? That's one thing that is missing for me in the Axe fx II and I think also in the FX8. Don't see any 'tweak knobs' on the FX8. I do a lot a live improvisation stuff with tweaking effect parameters on the fly. Don't want to be tied to fixed presets or go through all kinds of menus to adjust things. That's why I still use pedals along with my Axe fx. Really wonder how the H9 behaves for this when using it on stage. Also: can you use more than one effect at once with the H9?

1. Tweak on Fly
Have an iPhone or iPad? If so you can tweak on the fly with the H9 via bluetooth. Pretty easy actually (I have done it at gigs)

2. Number of effects at once
Only 1 patch at a time. There are some algorithms that come with multiple effects (such as reverb/delay etc) but your are still limited to one patch at a time.

Thanks for the info. I am looking for a new (multi) effect pedal for that purpose (live tweaking on the fly). Maybe a H9, also maybe an FX8 or maybe a Korg SDD3000 pedal. Totally different beasts I know. But trying to get an idea what works best for me.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I am looking for a new (multi) effect pedal for that purpose (live tweaking on the fly). Maybe a H9, also maybe an FX8 or maybe a Korg SDD3000 pedal. Totally different beasts I know. But trying to get an idea what works best for me.

I am actually really surprised the FX8 did not come bluetooth ready right out of the box. That is almost a given these days with new products especially with a $1,349 price point....

Bluetooth to midi technology is special , only few brands develloped it...

Bluetooth to midi?

I am not talking midi -- I am talking having editing software on an iPad or iPhone so I can tweak settings on a fly without having to edit presets on the FX8 while at a gig.

I never really thought this was helpful until I started using the H9 on gigs -- it is ridiculously easy. If Eventide came out with a multi effects floorboard version of the H9 -- IMO they would bury companies like Strymon (they are already eating their lunch).

Last edited:
If you can edit presets , than you can change presets via bluetooth ?

Yes -- although I do not do that.

I have 16 presets programmed in a "list" limited to 16.

In other words if I am on preset 16 and want to go to 3, I can just go from 16 -1 - 2 -3 instead of having to go 16-15-14 .... etc or you can simply click on preset three in the custom preset list you loaded on the H9 from the iPad/iPhone.

The effects are amazing and in a class by themselves (well it is Eventide).

I am waiting to see the demos of the FX8 -- but honestly I am very tempted to buy a second unit to put in series (the one I have now is in the amp loop). And yes you can manage multiple units from the iPad/iPhone.

Talking about the Eventide H9 --- interesting video I just received in an email from Eventide where Dweezil Zappa talks about how he integrates the Eventide H9 into his Fractal rig (around 7:36 if you don't want to watch the entire video).

Pretty interesting stuff

Last edited:
He sure uses a lot a pedals along his Axe fx! He also changes gear quite often I think. In another rig rundown video he had like more than 12 pedals running in front of the Axe fx. And now he uses 3 H9's in the loop along with some new pedals as well. That is some complicated setup with all the pedals. I really wonder how he controls all his volumes with so much gear working together.

Last edited:
He played a few minutes from my house this summer and I was out of town so I did not get a chance to see him.

when you think about it, he is traveling around the country/world playing his dad's music with what amounts to a mobile studio trying to faithfully recreate the sounds his dad invented.

It is a taunting task.

He sure uses a lot a pedals along his Axe fx! He also changes gear quite often I think. In another rig rundown video he had like more than 12 pedals running in front of the Axe fx. And now he uses 3 H9's in the loop along with some new pedals as well. That is some complicated setup with all the pedals. I really wonder how controls all his volumes with so much gear working together.

Yeah Frank Zappa had some very distinct guitar sounds which are very hard to recreate. Never heard a convincing recreation of his infamous Dynaflanger sound from anyone (Dweezil came close though) for example. Love Frank Zappa's guitar sounds and solos.

I've seen every ZPZ tour so far. I saw Dweezil here in Raleigh a few weeks ago. I did the master class and sound check package. He was incredibly gracious and humble in the class. He is a class act all the way. He shared some cool insights and perspectives on playing. Sound check was cool - the band ran several tunes, worked out a new ending for one, etc. Then the band left the stage and Dweezil was tweaking a couple of his tones. He's got a LOT of gear. He had lots of pedals racked and more on the floor with his pedalboard. He had a couple rack switchers for the racked pedals. Of course he had a pair of Axe-Fx 2's and there was a quad of K12s and what looked like a K12 on the floor that he used to get controlled feedback (they all play with IEM systems). His tones were brilliant - everything from glorious clean Strat ala Jimi tones to wild ass feffected fuzz tones. This was about 8 hours of entertainment off and on for less than the price of a nose bleed seat to the Tom Petty concert :)

i think 1999,95 is obscene, and 1345,95 still is too much!!!
the real power of the axe fx are the amp and cab sims, which are not included in the fx8....(and that really is a pitty, that there is no cab block to be able to send some fx directly to pa...!!! ;-(...so i buy this unit, one could think should handle everything, and again i have to buy some extra tools like speaker sims...)...
the axes´ reverb is no lexicon, the pitch shift is no eventide, the digital delay is no 2290, of course there is no analog sounding delay...no way to really clone a small stone phaser...and so on...don´t get me wrong - i know why i want an fx8...i just think the price is too high...

please don´t always count like..."the axe costs...blabla..."...they are selling the axe already...and the reason why they keep the fx8 a little low (no fx Loops, no 9v dc outputs, no amp sims, no cab sims, ...) is, that they still want to sell the axe fx in the future...they didn´t have so much costs in developing this product!

Last edited:
i think 1999,95 is obscene, and 1345,95 still is too much!!!

So don't buy it.

the real power of the axe fx are the amp and cab sims, which are not included in the fx8

Wrong. Many players (pros and non-pros) use the Axe-Fx just for effects.

so i buy this unit, one could think should handle everything, and again i have to buy some extra tools like speaker sims...).

Then "one" didn't do his homework. It's wise to study the specs before buying something.

the axes´ reverb is no lexicon, the pitch shift is no eventide, the digital delay is no 2290, of course there is no analog sounding delay...no way to really clone a small stone phaser...and so on...

So don't buy one.

no ext. power supply

Huh? You really want an external power supply? Really?

Back
Top Bottom