• 26-50%

Votes: 32 14.7%
  • 51-75%

Votes: 45 20.6%
  • 76%+

Votes: 75 34.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's hard for me to quantify the improvement into a percentage, but there are nuances and dynamics that I can feel from v10 that I've not gotten from any other firmware release which is making the II very addictive for me. I've never enjoyed my II more, so I guess 76%+!!

How can anyone quantify the improvements? For me, the whole experience is easier and more fun, and delivers better results.

- The amps sound much better. Many amps that I didn't like before are now favorites.
- In most cases I don't have to touch any controls that wouldn't be on the real amp to get a good sound.
- I don't have to hunt down third part IRs. Great on board IRs also facilitate patch exchange.
- Front panel navigation has improved considerably. The list paradigm for amps is absolutely brilliant, as is the inclusion of some basic controls on that page.

What does that mean numerically? I don't know--pick a number. I am very happy. Best gear dollars I've spent since I found my number one guitar in a neglected dusty corner of a ma and pa music shop for three bills? Absolutely!

I wonder about peoples ears sometimes.......as far back as the early standard and ultra FW ...they both sounded killer
of course there have been improvements but all of the fractal stuff has been great from the get go
To anyone that raves after every single update I'd like to see a FW 1 to 10 blindfold test!!!

76%. V10's dynamic and accuracy to the real deal is a life changer! It's far from about blind fold tests, the feel of the box now is crackers.

ver 10 is ok but i did notice that everything clips a little now so i have to back off the presets there very hot on the meter and for some weird reason ill be playing and the preset will just change to the next one like if its on 10 it would change to 11 by its self thats really strange because i havent had any issues with my axe 2 ever????? axe edit is so far so good it has been working on my mac i7 10.8.3 has anyone else had this issue with the presets changing on there own ?? it has happened a few times since the update to ver 10 i also updated the banks a b c too everything is working but seems a little bright on the over all tones and little to much output on the meter its going to the red never did that before i used the bot to update

I came from V7 to V10 and significant change in what i was hearing! for me 51-75% range just for simplicity of dialing in a sound that tickles my ears...boom that garners 50% right there...Factory presets...yummy...boom there's another 20% AE beta version so I don't cry boom 5%. I'd give another 10-15% for explosions and boobies. Perhaps V11 will provide.

How much in percentage is not a real quantifiable function.
But the addition of the Dumble for me is an immeasurable plus. And it sounds really amazing. Try the clean channel with boost on and high gain! Wow!
Anyway. 9.02 was already awesome. 10 is awesome-er. By how much? By "that" much! :)

The difference is almost as important as Ultra VS II when it came out. Seriously! MIMIC is a game changer for modern modeling. There is no more room for improvement IMHO. Only for more amps and IR!!! :)

All I can say is that with ten I am hard pressed to find an amp I don't appreciate. Whereas with the previous fw there were only a few that I liked. In that regard I would say its a 100% improvement since I can use dang near the whole box and find satisfying tones.

Music and tone isn't math.

;)

Well, unless it is digital. Then I guess it is math and science. And magic. And... well, umm... :D

I don't get the percentages thing. The percentage more realer is so 2011. ;)

I thought the sound on a lot of amps was great at FW9 and sometimes before. FW10 just blew the doors open for me though. I'm one of those people who've found great tones in amps I never would've thought of before. That's kind of like the real world. Many many tube amps sound pretty damn good and I can get a really enjoyable sound (if not MY sound) with some quick knob tweaking. 10 is like that. I don't begin to have enough time in the day to enjoy what's there. The feel is fantastic, too. I get that bouncy responsive thing that makes my pick feel different on the strings. I was practicing into headphones this morning which have often sounded great, but had that slightly disconnected feel because you're not getting the sound of the amp back on the guitar. Even without that audio feedback loop today the feel and responsiveness were more alive that I've ever had with the Axe II before. There's an unruliness to FW10 that I really like. Sometimes sounds are a little spiky or I hear a motion to the sound that I think was smoothed over before. A guy started a thread about the smoothness of previous modeling tone vs FW10 which I appreciated. Occasionally I find I need to work a little harder to tame the brightness/edge, but that's how tube amps are.

It's hard to quantify, but I went over the top on my rating. To me this feels like we got to the top of the modelling mountain. Obviously improvements will be made over time, but when Cliff posts that future upgrades will not cause a significant change in amp tone because MIMIC gets us as close as we can get (excluding the IR piece), that's huge. Most big FW updates have involved another epiphany by Cliff about how to do it better. This is the first time he's basically said, "got it all" and published a paper describing the issues/problems and how he solved them all. And it sounds solved to me.

Then there's the Dumble sound. If you made a modeler and just put the Dumble clean and lead sounds in there, I think you'd sell a fair amount of units.

Real tube amps still require math and electrical laws. Watts, volts, amps, microfarads, ohms and such tedious details. :)

many amps and drives that didn't work for me before now open up new tone palattes for me. and so far, my previous fav's sound great and the dynamic feel of everything is far better. The Plexi 50 is quite a bit brighter, not sure if i care for that one as much but the Plexi 100 can easily replace it!

Real tube amps still require math and electrical laws. Watts, volts, amps, microfarads, ohms and such tedious details. :)
It was disencouraging to have tube amps sounding good one day, and like crap for the rest of the week - I used to go as far as measuring AC outlets in my house/rehearsal space and notice huge voltage variations...

Back
Top Bottom