How many still tweek your presets??

rocknroling

Inspired
So i have had by Axe FX for about 4 months now and I do love it! But as I was updating to Quantum 1.6, I started thinking how I never really tweak my sounds much any more. I gig with mine a lot and when I first got it, I was in such a hurry to get it ready to play out (not to mention it was SO easy to find a good sounding overdrive amp), I never really checked out all the amps. I think I found about 8-10 great sounding amps and started weeding them out one by one like those cheesy Bachelor/Bachelorette shows!

I have gotten quite comfortable knowing that when i come to a gig I can turn on my Axe FX, turn on my in ear monitors and know exactly what it will sound like. But I would like to go and see what the other 280 some amps sounded like. I am not unhappy with my tone, I just feel like I am only using about 6% of what this machine can actually do! I do fear that by messing with things, I may not get it back to where I had it.

Reactions: FDB
I'll leave it til it gets stale to my ears then start again. Either way I'm always checking different models for new inspiration and what not. I think it might be time for an update actually haha

I just about never tweak other than maybe a level hear or gain there post a fw update. I started messing with other delay types recently but keep my existing setting just seeing how they work with say the new DMM. I keep telling my self I should go "amp" shopping but I don't have the time and what I use sounds killer

If I use a different guitar for a given preset, sometimes some minor changes are needed but rarely is anything major needed - unless I try to change or improve on a patch. It's nice having the tone of tubes without the temperament of tubes!

Hmm, is tweaking different from experimenting? I have my core set of sounds that I rarely change, but I'm CONSTANTLY concocting new sounds, trying amp + cab + mic combos, etc. I love messing around with sound (it's one of the reasons I like the Axe-Fx so much).

The cab pack 20 has been a lot of fun so many variations of marshall heaven - i strongly suggest adding that to your library. Additionally if you play with the motor and ari functions of the cab block there are some surprising lovely sounds to be had. You have to just dig in and investigate parameters and listen well. Happy Riffing

Not too much here either....most everything is so good without. I do spend more time seeing what I can get out of different effect blocks than the amps, but even that is minimal...Like some other folks, I have about 6 real go--to amps, and then fire up others when the mood strikes, so sometimes the go-to items change.

It's really a treat to have all the amps and effects I could have only dreamed of a few years ago, and kind of funny that I just now seemingly take it for granted. "I think I'll play the Trainwreck for a bit instead of one of my Carol Ann's"...hehe

I'm glad that I don't tweak nowhere near as much as I used to.

Tweaking is important, but it depends on what you're trying to achieve.. Tweaking to suit my Yamaha HS5's is fine, but pointless when I've tweaked those presets on the Yamahas and then wanna play those patches through my ASM in a band environment. It just doesn't work - I don't care what anyone says.

Personally, I think the most important tweaking is the tweaking done for band situations. Tweaking for home/bedroom is neither here or there really; as long as you like what you hear. Get your tone sounding as good as you can for band prac and gigs - at home, who cares!?

I just started playing on a praise team so I have a tone of new songs to set up and learn. There are so many different FX and settings and song structures that I spend a tone of time setting up presets. Most of that is spent on FX and organization of scenes rather than deep editing of advanced parameters.

Since Quantum the only tweaking I do now is if I'm asked to come up with a sound that I don't already have covered in my main presets.
Or sometimes I'll read about a feature I haven't played with before and will have to try it out (like De-Phase in the cab block which I just read about and will play with this weekend).

I go amp, cab and fx shopping all the freakin time. With a computer, there's no limit to how many presets you can have. And with AxeEdit being as stable and awesome as it is, I just can't stop myself. I have a basic template that uses all 8 scenes for clean sounds, and dirt sounds. So easy to just make a copy and tweak away. When I'm playing with a band I don't typically use more than 4 or 5 presets, but when I'm in my studio (torturing my dog and daughters guinea pig) the sky is the limit.

I have four or five favorite presets that are pretty much set in stone. One of my favorite things to do when I feel like experimenting is to just copy those favorite presets to a different location, then drop different amp models into those copied presets. I have really found some good tones doing this....and hell, it's fun too!

Save your tweaks to a different preset. Then "where you had it" is only a preset away.
That's exactly what I do. Now I have like fifty Mark IIC+ variations and forgot which is actually which, even though at the time the names made sense.

But I like to play with it. :D

That's a blessing I disguise. Now you get to choose which of your fifty Mark IIC+ variations you like best, based on sound and feel alone, instead of what their names are.

Tweak? Hell yea! I'm always changing things up. A little twist here a button push there and I can find all kinds of new tonal inspiration. LOVE IT!

Every day I'm working on amps and IRs. My gear is hooked up and on all day at work. I'm fortunate enough to have my band rehearsal room at my business. Some days when its slow all I do is tweak!

I tweak every single time that I plug the guitar into the Axe-FX, and I've been doing it since I had the first Axe-FX standard back in 2006.

That's part of the fun.

Back
Top Bottom