Wish How many of these wishes actually get implemented?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While there are Wish List items that have gone unfulfilled (so far), saying that "Fractal apparently has very little interest in 'improving' anything that's not amp modeling related" is a gross overstatement.

It's natural that they would concentrated their efforts on amp modeling. That's been the main thing that sets Fractal apart from the competition over the last ten years. So what else have they given us? Over the last couple of years:

- Totally revamped Wah simulation;
- Big improvements in Drive simulation that had many holdouts finally giving up their beloved analog pedals;
- Improved Reverb that successfully competes with the best stand-alone reverbs in the pro audio business;
- A big leap in realism for the Rotary block.
- Unique, hard-to-find delays like the Memory Man;
- The B7K drive sim that bass players have been craving;
- The FX8 and AX8 got a Footswitch page that was a major improvement in usability.

And that's just off the top of my head. If you scour the release notes for Quantum and the original Axe II firmware series, you'll find find plenty more examples of improvements that have nothing to do with amp modeling.

You want other things implemented. No harm, no foul. So do I. Keep posting them to the Wish List. But to say that Fractal doesn't care about improving anything that's not amp modeling-related—that just ain't true.

I've stayed out of it, but will join now...

I suppose the responsiveness of FAS has fostered this sort of behaviour. While I understand some of what is said, the bottom line is that FAS is still a small company. Please don't lose track of the fact that compared to almost any company that I've had experience with, NONE compares to the way this company listens to it's users. To stack them up to another organization that just 'does what they want to do anyway', is unfair, and completely wrong. Just because you have a pet wish that you've been counting on and 'my lord, it's been YEARS...why don't I have it???' does not mean you're entitled to it...it may never come.

The fact that there's a wish list, and that it's actually READ by the owner of the company and occasionally acted upon is not good enough for some folks. The expectation is 'I better see it in the new release.' It raises my hackles.

I am satisfied with the choices FAS has made, but will allow that they take into account wishes that align with the direction they want the product to go in. Frankly, high quality amp modeling is what drives this product. I think the FX are excellent and far exceed what would be expected in this box.

I just think threads like this are unproductive and hurtful. They usually involve an agenda where it's really a demand for that feature that will replace my <whatever I want>.

IMO.
Well said!

Most companies in this space don't listen to customers at all unless something is broken... And to actually get a firmware update, yet alone DOZENS and free of charge? Forget about it.

I've been an Axe Fx user since June of 2013 and I've seen numerous wish list items implemented.

The owner and creator reads the forum and responds frequently. In fact, in this very topic of wishes, he responded to a wish list item today (on/off switch for amp GEQ) and it won't surprise me at all to see this feature appear very soon.

As a long time user I actually agree with Atquinn. The development of the effects, usability and application has stalled dramatically and a clear focus on Amp tones has been in place for a long time now. Whilst some small amount of tweaks and improvements to the effects has happened it has dropped off dramatically compared to what it once was. Many great ideas exist to make wider improvements and expansion to the Axe Fx platform aside from Amp tones which is clearly where the vast majority of the development has been.
+1

While there are Wish List items that have gone unfulfilled (so far), saying that "Fractal apparently has very little interest in 'improving' anything that's not amp modeling related" is a gross overstatement.

It's natural that they would concentrated their efforts on amp modeling. That's been the main thing that sets Fractal apart from the competition over the last ten years. So what else have they given us? Over the last couple of years:

- Big improvements in Drive simulation that had many holdouts finally giving up their beloved analog pedals;
- Improved Reverb that successfully competes with the best stand-alone reverbs in the pro audio business;
- The FX8 and AX8 got a Footswitch page that was a major improvement in usability.

And that's just off the top of my head. If you scour the release notes for Quantum and the original Axe II firmware series, you'll find find plenty more examples of improvements that have nothing to do with amp modeling.

You want other things implemented. No harm, no foul. So do I. Keep posting them to the Wish List. But to say that Fractal doesn't care about improving anything that's not amp modeling-related—that just ain't true.
Yes but one thing was said to be in the works and easy to do but never done : formant pitch shifting
Also a thing where the AxeFx is clearly not as good it's either way : the pitch shifter block.

There seem to be some misunderstandings here. No one is saying that there is no attention to anything other than amplifiers. I never said that. But there has been much less than there has previously. And just because I am commenting on this thread doesn't mean I agree with the sentiment of the thread title. But it is obvious that the main emphasis for some time has been on Amp tones. That is not even disputed. There are many on here who'd rather see things develop further in other areas that have had less attention that they have had in previous times.

Whilst it is fair to say that the focus on amp tones has set FAS apart from the competition, it is naive to suggest that this will always be the case. How more real can an Amp simulation get when it already sounds fucking AMAZING! Yes FAS is ahead of the game but when you hit the ceiling for realism and diminishing returns, the competitors can only catch up. Other aspects of the products are going to have to improve and evolve in order to continue to compete. The competitors have cleverly capitalised upon the weaknesses of the Axe Fx (oh no! Did I say that?!). Well damn me to hell for pointing out the elephant in the room. It's just a basic reality.

I was one of the people who pushed for the rotary block to be updated and some of the other things I have gotten behind have been updated for which I'm very grateful and appreciative. But I have noticed a tendency when people make a suggestion for an improvement the usual crowd of FAS fanboys are instantly out in force trying to shut the suggestion down and saying you are not being grateful enough bla bla bla. Whereas strangely if it were something that Cliff ended up implementing, they'd be cheering his genius. I know... it's weird.... but it happens.
Eg: I was shut down and lambasted repeatedly when I made suggestions for improving the Rotary Block but when it was finally overhauled everyone was jumping up and down about it. So yeah.... If that sounds like you then please stop doing that.

I just think threads like this are unproductive and hurtful. They usually involve an agenda where it's really a demand for that feature that will replace my <whatever I want>.

Well just to be clear here. My main issue is not any one particular idea for improvement in case that wasn't already obvious (although I certainly do have some ideas I really like) I'm speaking more generally about the development of the FAS gear. The only agenda is to make improvements. Having said that, no one is going to make suggestions for something that doesn't pose a benefit to themselves,
what generally drives the impetus for the idea of a potential improvement is discovering some level of dissatisfaction with something that applies to you.

And for what it's worth, whilst we are all getting it out there I've been with FAS since 2010 (Axe Fx std, Axe Fx Ultra and Axe Fx II). So yeah take from that what you will. I'm a long term user too :)

I hate having to repeat myself but I feel I have to here and it's a pretty straight forward point that no one seems to be acknowledging: Clearly the majority of resources is being spent on the Amp tones and yet no one is asking for these particular imrpovments because everyone seems more than happy enough with their tones as they are now (and no I'm not saying they shouldn't continue to improve and develop). And yet there are many more valid suggestions for more tangible improvements that seem within reach of this platform that people are actually asking for which have not being implemented. Do you guys see what it is I'm saying here? Of course some of them are impossible given the limitations of the platform (it is also good if that is communicated if it is the case) and of course not everything is going to be implemented, we know that. We are simply wanting to see a stronger lean toward developing other aspects of the platform other than Amp tones even just for a time. That's it, pretty simple.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Ant Music, post: 1561201, member: 11710]No one is saying that there is no attention to anything other than amplifiers.[/quote]
Some are saying exactly that, including post #27 in this thread.

[QUOTE="Ant Music, post: 1561201, member: 11710]Whilst it is fair to say that the focus on amp tones has set FAS apart from the competition, it is naive to suggest that this will always be the case. How more real can an Amp simulation get when it already sounds ****ing AMAZING! Yes FAS is ahead of the game but when you hit the ceiling for realism and diminishing returns, the competitors can only catch up. [/quote]
It's continuous improvement that keeps them on top. We haven't hit the ceiling yet.

[QUOTE="Ant Music, post: 1561201, member: 11710]The competitors have cleverly capitalised upon the weaknesses of the Axe Fx (oh no! Did I say that?!). [/quote]
Interface improvements will have to wait for new products to be released. That kind of thing can't happen with firmware updates to existing products.

[
[QUOTE="Ant Music, post: 1561201, member: 11710]
I was shut down and lambasted repeatedly when I made suggestions for improving the Rotary Block[/quote]
And others supported your suggestion. And it came to pass. That's how it's supposed to work.

[QUOTE="Ant Music, post: 1561201, member: 11710]No one is saying that there is no attention to anything other than amplifiers.
Some are saying exactly that, including post #27 in this thread.

Your reading comprehension skills could use some work.
I wrote:
"has very little interest in "improving" anything that's not amp modeling related"
If you take that to mean that I was "saying exactly" that no attention is paid to anything other than amplifiers, then have fun shadowboxing Strawmen.
-
Austin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom