How I spent my summer Axe-less

shasha

Fractal Fanatic
Well I sold my Ultra quite a while ago and bought an 11R to hold me over. I was fairly active around here for a bit, but to be honest it was a bitter sweet experience. I decided to delve into the 11R pretty deep and make a commitment to master it. So after the 15-20 minutes that took I was still without an AxeFX and thus less than inspired. To be fair the 11R isn't bad; it's kind of like trading in a Ferrari for a Mustang, if all I'd ever driven was a Mustang I'd probably love the hell out of it, but it's a step backwards from what I was used to.

But enough about the 11R, this is about me. Not many people here know that I'd been dealing with health issues and been hobbled to the point of using a cane, but long story short I took that time off from the AxeFX and focused it on getting myself healthy. There was no one thing that did everything, but it was a combination of being treated for sleep apnea (CPAP), vitamins, poor diet, more vitamins, and lumbar nerve ablation. I started walking about 20 minutes in the evening in March and have worked my way up to running 7 miles several times a week. I just met my goal to lose 50lbs today and I feel 10 years younger.

Point of all of this? I kind of wanted to share it with you guys since you're cool, but also to try to motivate some of you to make sure that you're taking care of yourself. I always took health for granted, slept bad, ate worse, sat in front of the computer all day and when I got off work I'd basically do the same thing again. Don't let it get to the point that I did and if you aren't feeling good now's as good a time as any to do something about it.

I think the AxeLessNess was a bit of a blessing in disguise. Well done for getting back to battery. I know personally that it's a challenge to put aside bad habits and get back to the right personal path. Once again, well done.

Great story there man! ;) very inspiring, and that's a lot of weight you lost! Not so easy to do! :eek:

Also glad to see you back here again :D

This is awesome. Congratulations, sir. Not many people have the willpower to take control of their life like that and make the changes they want.

Three months ago I started to do something similar. I'm now able to do 4 kms (2.5 miles) four times a week, am eating veggies, have cut back on carbs and process foods and have shed 8 kgs (about 18 lbs).

To have shed 50lbs and be running 12 kms (7 miles) is a massive achievement - you have my deepest respect sir.

Well done! Congrats on achieving the personal goals that not only make you feel 10 years younger but no doubt can also been seen and felt by the loved ones. Again, Kudos!

Always good to have you back shasha :D
And +1 for the health first. Being unhealthy and knowing something is wrong with you that you have no explanation for is a real crappy experience. you just live in a state of stress, anxiety, and general pain which just sucks the joy out of everything you do. People, go see a doctor. Even if it's gonna involve something unpleasant. For me at my current age of 20, it was drinking 2 liters of moviprep and then getting probed. I got diagnosed with IBS, but I now know I'm not dying or in critical condition. Plus I know how to manage it. :) I feel loads better now and I can enjoy life better now because of it.

Yep, if something's bothering you get it checked out. A while ago I had a niggle in my lower back which I ignored until it became full blown pain down my right leg. Turned out I had a prolapsed disc pushing on a nerve and trust me, it was not comfy at all! With a lot of physiotherapy and hard work I got over it but I still have to do precautionary exercises to keep it in check. I was very lucky to avoid surgery. Point is, if I'd got it checked out when I first noticed it it would have been a lot less work, less pain and I probably wouldn't still be having to keep an eye on it. Don't ignore your health!

Cheers :)

Thats awesome man, keep at it! I had a acl knee reconstruction this time last year and just had another knee surgery 2 weeks ago, Im training the house down at rehab and hope to be running in two weeks. The moral of the story is, if your over 30 then give up the action sports haha, motocross, wakeboarding, snowboarding........they all end in knee reconstructions lol

Well I sold my Ultra quite a while ago and bought an 11R to hold me over. I was fairly active around here for a bit, but to be honest it was a bitter sweet experience. I decided to delve into the 11R pretty deep and make a commitment to master it. So after the 15-20 minutes that took I was still without an AxeFX and thus less than inspired. To be fair the 11R isn't bad; it's kind of like trading in a Ferrari for a Mustang, if all I'd ever driven was a Mustang I'd probably love the hell out of it, but it's a step backwards from what I was used to.

But enough about the 11R, this is about me. Not many people here know that I'd been dealing with health issues and been hobbled to the point of using a cane, but long story short I took that time off from the AxeFX and focused it on getting myself healthy. There was no one thing that did everything, but it was a combination of being treated for sleep apnea (CPAP), vitamins, poor diet, more vitamins, and lumbar nerve ablation. I started walking about 20 minutes in the evening in March and have worked my way up to running 7 miles several times a week. I just met my goal to lose 50lbs today and I feel 10 years younger.

Point of all of this? I kind of wanted to share it with you guys since you're cool, but also to try to motivate some of you to make sure that you're taking care of yourself. I always took health for granted, slept bad, ate worse, sat in front of the computer all day and when I got off work I'd basically do the same thing again. Don't let it get to the point that I did and if you aren't feeling good now's as good a time as any to do something about it.
so now that you're 10 years younger shasha... When are you gonna get fractalized? :mrgreen

Congratulations on continuing accomplishment, shasha! You accomplished a lot in a short time.

To anyone who's ever considered getting themselves healthier, take shasha's advice to heart. Give yourself the gift of some excercise and a reasonable diet (you don't have to go crazy with either one to enjoy the results). Having a little fitness and stamina in you makes every aspect of your life more enjoyable, and that includes playing your git-fiddle. I don't have much in the way of natural athletic talent, and I'm sedentary by nature, but once you get into an exercise and eating routine that works for you, you actually start to enjoy it.

Good for you shasha. Losing weight and staying active is the #1 way to feel better physically and mentally. Congrats man and kudos for staying on track.

thanks for all the kudos and stuff guys. Part of all of that exercise is that I end up falling asleep a heck of a lot earlier. :lol

I'm shooting for 10 miles on either thursday or friday. I'm still pretty slow compared to real runners, but my cardio is at an all time best.

Back
Top Bottom