How Good is the Fractal VH4 Model?

Axe-Master
I'm borrowing a Diezel VH4 at the moment (2009 model) so naturally the first thing I did was dial up the Fractal model with the knobs in the same position and take a look at how close the TMA reads between them. I zero'd out speaker drive/comp/compliance and used the relevant X-Load impedance curve and the results are very impressive.

Screenshot 2024-01-23 at 3.38.19 pm.png

Keep in mind this is without making any adjustments to bring them even closer into line. Just eyeball the settings and go.

Preset bundle attached.

Attachments

• Diezel VH4.fasBundle
    17.3 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
I have played around 100 Gigs in 2023 with my Silver Diezel VH4.
Recently I bought an FM3 and have been gigging with it (Out2 into a Fryette PS2-A and a 2x2 recto cab. Out 1 into a cab block using @2112's ir )
I have been using the Friedman amps and they're sounding good.

However I was missing my VH4 sound.

Made no sense that I didn't try the Dizzy models
So last week before the gig I literally copied my VH4 settings for Channel 2, 3 and 4 and used them on the FM3.
The only difference is that I've increased the master to around 11:30 o'clock - Which I believe is the sweet spot for this amp.
I could never do this on my VH4.

I did not test it before the gig.
I could always revert back to my friedman presets.

I could not tell the fm3 from my VH4.
I was in total awe for the entire gig.

The Dizzy Silver channel 2, 3 and 4 is worth the full FM3 price.

These models are okeyish at bedroom volumes but they really come alive at gig volume.

Speaker drive/comp/compliance at 0, SIC at 104.5 hz for my recto 2x12 + the new found Dizzy models is tonal bliss for me.

Looking forward to your VH4 Video @2112

That’s impressive what are the odds?! (even accounting for part tolerances),

I’m curious though what is the spacing for the gridlines ? 3db or maybe 6db?

I’m not able to test myself atm

I have played around 100 Gigs in 2023 with my Silver Diezel VH4.
Recently I bought an FM3 and have been gigging with it (Out2 into a Fryette PS2-A and a 2x2 recto cab. Out 1 into a cab block using @2112's ir )
I have been using the Friedman amps and they're sounding good.

However I was missing my VH4 sound.

Made no sense that I didn't try the Dizzy models
So last week before the gig I literally copied my VH4 settings for Channel 2, 3 and 4 and used them on the FM3.
The only difference is that I've increased the master to around 11:30 o'clock - Which I believe is the sweet spot for this amp.
I could never do this on my VH4.

I did not test it before the gig.
I could always revert back to my friedman presets.

I could not tell the fm3 from my VH4.
I was in total awe for the entire gig.

The Dizzy Silver channel 2, 3 and 4 is worth the full FM3 price.

These models are okeyish at bedroom volumes but they really come alive at gig volume.

Speaker drive/comp/compliance at 0, SIC at 104.5 hz for my recto 2x12 + the new found Dizzy models is tonal bliss for me.

Looking forward to your VH4 Video @2112
Would you mind sharing your settings? I’ve never been able to get a usable sound in a mix for some reason with the VH4…

All the German high gain stuff (Diesel, Engl, Bogner) sounds fantastic with greenback IRs, strongly recommend trying them out if you're normally a V30s-only kind of person. I do a GB/V30 combo on all my heavy stuff these days because I think they complement each other really well.

I remember working with Tim Pierce awhile back getting his Fractal units up to par with his needs and one of the sounds he absolutely needed was the VH4.

We dialed it in relatively quickly and even he was impressed how close it sounded to the real thing.

No simple feat for a player of his reputation and stature.

He has a video interviewing myself, Cooper and more and he has some VH4 tones there.

Real VH4 is perhaps the most "OMG WTF IS THIS" amp I've ever played. So crazy tight monster tone. Perhaps I should hunt one for myself, altouhg it's not a tone I'd use much. Still, it's so unique.

I just played a VH-4 at my friend's studio a couple days ago with my MIJ Fender Baritone Special and it was incredible. Channel 2 with the bright switch off was surprisingly good for gritty clean/blues, and Channel 3 lives up to the hype. We found that it sounded best with the channel volume on 9 and master volume to taste. Channel volume on 10 sounds great too, but backing it down to 9 brings back a little more air.

I have a VH-2, but the VH-4 has some extra magic going on.

I just played a VH-4 at my friend's studio a couple days ago with my MIJ Fender Baritone Special and it was incredible. Channel 2 with the bright switch off was surprisingly good for gritty clean/blues, and Channel 3 lives up to the hype. We found that it sounded best with the channel volume on 9 and master volume to taste. Channel volume on 10 sounds great too, but backing it down to 9 brings back a little more air.

I have a VH-2, but the VH-4 has some extra magic going on.
Blues on a baritone eh?
Cool.

I'm normally a 5150 guy, but the VH4 is since a few months one of my favorites. Channel two is so nice for a slightly dirty clean sound. Channel three for high gain stuff, boosted or just the amp. Love it!

Back
Top Bottom