How does Axe FX compare to other guitar processors

You would really confirm my buy (axe 2) was the perfect choice (and likely is) if you threw in a few mesa boogies in your purchase past! and maybe and ENGL, otherwise wow. Wonder how many boogie lovers sold their stuff for the axe?

i love my axefx to death, but i will never part with my beloved mesa 2 channel rectifier.

I had to play with a POD XT Live our last couple of practices and wow... it was painful... I actually wanted to stop playing. Axe-fx Std/Ultra is better than just about any other modeller out there... except for possibly the Axe-fx II.

I had to play with a POD XT Live our last couple of practices and wow... it was painful... I actually wanted to stop playing. Axe-fx Std/Ultra is better than just about any other modeller out there... except for possibly the Axe-fx II.

I am using a Pod XT Live, waiting for the Axe II, sold my Ultra, it is pretty terrible. And I agree, almost to the point of not playing it.

The Ultra is in a completely different league.

Richard

My last generation of (?)real(?) amps:
Samamp 1x12
Egnater Rebel
Carr Mercury
Fender Vibro King
Vintage Fender Vibroverb
Polytone 104
Gibson Lab Series

I've had a lifetime love/hate relationship with so-called "real" amps. Each one would play nice at home. Each one would betray me in various venues one way or another.

...I don't like this room. I'm gonna sound boxy...
...I'm gonna blow a power tube right in the middle of your solo...
...I'm gonna develop a weird rattle that you'll never find...
...I'm gonna buzz real loud and pop when you try to channel switch me...
...I'm gonna sound different recorded no matter how you mic me...

Two-faced vicious bitxxes, the lot of them. I'd rather date a twenty year old guy than date another "real" amplifier (and that's saying a lot).

Don't even get me started on effects/stompboxes:
"...oh, I think I'd like to add something to my pedalboard. Hmmm, I need a four inch cable with right angle and straight, a six inch cable with straight and straight, another DC power cable about ten inches long. Okay, peel up this box, this box, and this box and move them over... CRAP, this cable isn't long enough, that won't fit..." ~Push, shove, build a little raised place~ "...okay. Everything is mounted, everything is working, wait a minute, what's that? Why is it buzzing now?..." etc. ad nauseum

"...I think I'd like to mess around with some really high quality delays today..."
Eventide H7600 Ultra-Harmonizer Effects Processor: Shop Pro Audio & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend
"...$5,000 (pause and reflect) okay... maybe not..."

All gone - no more. Not looking back at all. Don't miss any of them.
I have exactly zero G.A.S. now and it is liberating (well, still casting about for high end co-ax FRFR).
The Musicians Friend catalog goes straight in the bin when it shows up in my mailbox.

Last edited:
I played around with the digidesign eleven and can honestly say that there is no point in comparing these two units. The AxeFX is way ahead of anything else out there.

I have played around with and 11r and thought it was a very good product.

I also agree with the statement above. ;)

Considering that used Standards are not too much more of an investment then 11r's + expansion pack (a necessity IMO), it makes it a no-brainer in terms of using it as a guitar processor.

My last generation of (?)real(?) amps:
Samamp 1x12
Egnater Rebel
Carr Mercury
Fender Vibro King
Vintage Fender Vibroverb
Polytone 104
Gibson Lab Series

I've had a lifetime love/hate relationship with so-called "real" amps. Each one would play nice at home. Each one would betray me in various venues one way or another.

...I don't like this room. I'm gonna sound boxy...
...I'm gonna blow a power tube right in the middle of your solo...
...I'm gonna develop a weird rattle that you'll never find...
...I'm gonna buzz real loud and pop when you try to channel switch me...
...I'm gonna sound different recorded no matter how you mic me...

Two-faced vicious bitxxes, the lot of them. I'd rather date a twenty year old guy than date another "real" amplifier (and that's saying a lot).

Don't even get me started on effects/stompboxes:
"...oh, I think I'd like to add something to my pedalboard. Hmmm, I need a four inch cable with right angle and straight, a six inch cable with straight and straight, another DC power cable about ten inches long. Okay, peel up this box, this box, and this box and move them over... CRAP, this cable isn't long enough, that won't fit..." ~Push, shove, build a little raised place~ "...okay. Everything is mounted, everything is working, wait a minute, what's that? Why is it buzzing now?..." etc. ad nauseum

"...I think I'd like to mess around with some really high quality delays today..."
Eventide H7600 Ultra-Harmonizer Effects Processor: Shop Pro Audio & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend
"...$5,000 (pause and reflect) okay... maybe not..."

All gone - no more. Not looking back at all. Don't miss any of them.
I have exactly zero G.A.S. now and it is liberating (well, still casting about for high end co-ax FRFR).
The Musicians Friend catalog goes straight in the bin when it shows up in my mailbox.
ROTFLMAO!! I couldn't have put it better.. that about sums it up for me. I do NOT miss any of that. Having to deal with all of the above - and trying to simplify my rig (long story, but came about from having to setup PA/Lights at almost every gig and not wanting a 30-min hookup for MY rig) - was what driove me to modeling in the first place. The Axe-Fx Ultra happened to be a the top of that list (and now the AxeII) and I do am completely happy with it.

I haven't really spent any time with an Eleven Rack, but I would say just buy an AxeFX and try it. Be prepared to start disliking your other gear though. I used to think some of the software modelers were pretty decent, but now I can't stand them. I had my ultra for over 3 years and recently sold it and got the AxeII. Nothing else is even in the ballpark of the standard, ultra, and II. During my brief downtime between selling the Ultra and getting the AxeII, I picked up a used Pod HD500 just to check it out and possibly keep it as a controller. Long story short...I'm selling it. It actually seems like a decently built controller, but I found the amp modeling to be just awful, other than maybe some of the clean sounds. I was shocked how bad it was considering I'd seen some pretty glowing reviews out there.

To be fair, you can get decent sounds from any of the modelers out there with enough work. The question is do you want to spend your time jumping through hoops working around the flaws in the gear? With the AxeFx, I get to spend less time tweaking and more time playing. When I choose to tweak, it's more about making creative choices between a variety of great sounds, rather than trying to find that one elusive sound that sucks the least.

Seriously, you really need to just try it.

I already own Digidesign Eleven and NI Guitar rig & actually one of my favorite is the simple Sansamp software version included with pro tools, it's not very versatile but sounds good straight out of the box. I haven't tried the AxeFX only heard demos of it and it do indeed sound good, but does it really blow away its competition? anyone compared it to the digidesign eleven? wich i think sound pretty good.

Also is there any chanse of a cheaper version of the axefx in the future? I'm not buying it at the current price tag, maybe a lightweight software version? What's causing the high price tag anyways? is it the DSP technology?
So are you talking about Eleven software or rack? If software I think almost any of the top hardware solutions will be better. Personally, I have never really bonded with software solutions. While some sound pretty good, they generally don't feel as good to play and I hate being tied to a computer all the time. Sometimes turning real nobs is just quicker and easier.

I used to think that the SW stuff was pretty decent too until I went hardware based. When I sold my Ultra I tried going back for a bit. I just didn't play for a few weeks and that's when the wait list for the AxeII came about....well I ended up just buying an eleven rack to hold me over. It's no AxeFX, but it's better than the SW stuff by a long shot. Not really sure why, but I have yet to find a SW solution that bests HW modeling.

I like the Axe a lot but to be honest, it's just another piece of gear. It's a really good sounding processor but a lot of people around here act like it's the only digital device or FX unit that is worthwhile or playable which is just pure BS. It can do a lot of stuff that no other processor can do. If those things are worth the premium you for it to you then it is a good choice. My favorite thing about the Axe is that it has every piece of the puzzle (models, FX, EQ (especially), etc) that I need to make any tone I want, and all of those tools are very high quality. I do not have to add external gear, plugins or tube units. the tone coming out of the unit goes straight to the power amp or computer and I am done.

But, anyway, these guys many of whom you'll find here, who act like or imply that it just completely blows away every other modeler for every type of tone are full of sh*t, IMHO. I've got software modelers that easily get tones on par with the Axe if you know how to dial them in and add additional plugins, I've gotten great tones with L6 stuff and have heard some people do L6 based recordings that just kick a** by any standard. The Rectifier sim in the 11R is stunning, if you can't get a Recto sounds with that you can't get a Recto sound. etc, etc... The Axe really nails cab emulations (although anything with IR based cabs will do this, some software products are actually way more capable than the Axe) and the tube power amp modeling is about the best, generally (although I would say Revalver is pretty satisfying in this regard too), this tends to give it a big edge over other units but those are hardly show stoppers and do have work arounds. So, again, if you're willing to pay for that convenience the Axe is a one stop shop and the best tool around.

These are all tools and a good craftsman will always be able to build good music with them provided they are not completely subpar (and yes, some are but not nearly so many as the gang here will have you believing), so it's tiresome to hear all of these wild claims about how the Axe is just on some kind of entirely different plane of tone existence around these parts all the time.

Go to the amps forum at the Gear Page or Harmony Central and ask about the AxeFx compared to other gear if you want a realistic idea about the AxeFx compared to other units and traditional amps. You'll probably find that it's highly regarded in general but the view won't be so closed minded. This is a self-selecting audience so it's all going to be rainbows and unicorns here.

Last edited:
In a word: Yes.

This DOES NOT mean that the competition cannot produce good or great tones, they can. This is not about running the other units down, it's about the Axe is that much better as an overall FX/AMP combination.

Think in terms of 'its that much better', not 'the other stuff is worse'.

IMO.

In a word: Yes.

This DOES NOT mean that the competition cannot produce good or great tones, they can. This is not about running the other units down, it's about the Axe is that much better as an overall FX/AMP combination.

Think in terms of 'its that much better', not 'the other stuff is worse'.

IMO.

+1

I used to think that the SW stuff was pretty decent too until I went hardware based. When I sold my Ultra I tried going back for a bit. I just didn't play for a few weeks and that's when the wait list for the AxeII came about....well I ended up just buying an eleven rack to hold me over. It's no AxeFX, but it's better than the SW stuff by a long shot. Not really sure why, but I have yet to find a SW solution that bests HW modeling.

LePou plugins. Google. Add favorite TS9/808 sim before, and favorite cabinet simulation after. Enjoy. Might I recommend the LeCto & the LeGion by this developer? Guaranteed to blow you away! Slightly sterile in terms of pure feel and squelch, but I tend to exaggerate sometimes. Also, NRR1 by Ignite Amps. And TSE's X30 & X50(beta) - although the TSE stuff is the lowest rung in this ladder, it is still one of the best ENGL sims out there. Even Metal Amp Room is okish.

But yeah, nothing beats the sonic ease of using the Axe FX, or the fact that there are SO many good sounds in there that sometimes, I'll go from playing extreme metal to artic monkey's inspired indie shit! And because the axe fx sounds so vibey (i have no better word to describe it), sometimes the most fun tones to play along to are the trashiest sounding, but oh they feel so good! Something NO modeller has been able to do for.

/gush

EDIT: Just went and A/Bed the axe fx and all the plugins I have (which includes revalver). Lepou's LeCto is the only one which satisfied TBH. And by satisfied, I mean it was at least as good as some of the axe fx models. Chain: Guitar->DI->Soundcard In->Direct out from soundcard(using internal mixer) to Reamp box->Axe FX Ultra->Only drive & Amp blocks->Cubase->Nebula Cab sim. This way, both the axe fx and the plugin would (effectively) get the same signal. The axe fx won. That's all I need say. By a fairly long margin. Especially with firmware 11, it's just awesome. I can't even imagine how easy it must be to dial in the II!! GAS!

Last edited:
Still using my Standard - still a great piece of gear! :) Would never sold my standard....

BTW: Yesterday I did a quick test drive with the all new POD HD Desktop at my local musicstore - wow...pretty impressive unit! I liked the clean, and breakup tones (Gibson EH-185 or their digitaly fingerprint of a Blackface Reverb are truly superb) - now trying to get those out of my axe ;-)

I think this also speaks volumes. Fractal Artists - using Axe-Fx, MFC-101 and Atomic Amps Products - Artist Relations

Sound quality, flexibility and versatility are unmatched IMO. Other part of the equation is feel and response, and you won't get that from youtube demos. If your current rig gets you to a sound and feel you are thrilled with, you are blessed - run with it. None of the low end units I tried would satisfy my ear or hand, and I find the Axe II (and the Ultra before it) can. This included my Vetta II and floorboard at a cost more than my Axe II, including breaking my back.

I did break my back (badly pinched nerve requiring surgery) but still feel that the Vetta was and is the best Line 6 model to date. Artist endorsement needs better disclosure as to whether the unit was paid for or comped. I regret selling it, and I would buy a rack mount Vetta tomorrow. No, the X3 Pro is not the same. I could have had it with a good metal saw, but the preamp or power amp section would have to be cut off. If you want cheaper DSP technology, get Line 6 stuff, or a used AxeFX. I still have a PodXT Pro that sounds good on it's own, but if you AB with and AxeFX, it gets sounds that Line 6 can't match.

The AxeFX would be the tweakers dream because so many parameters are editable like sag, using other amp tonestacks, and it sounds like the new model is even better, but........ it's a new product (expect surprises) that will be patched it's way into greatness.

The doomsday scenario for Fractal would be no more firmware updates for the standard and ultra, because the purchase price justifies a support model that's at least better than Line 6. My Vetta started as a Veta 1, was upgraded to a Vetta II, and later many new amps, effects, and speaker cabs over a span of 2-3 years.

While the Axe Fx is arguably the best modeler I have ever used as it does more things better more often-other products are also quite good.
While I am waiting for my AXe FX II am using my old Pod XT and Podfarm. Still very usable and I enjoy their ease of dialing in a tone.
I recently messed around with the Revalver Mk 3.5 demo.
It is really quite excellent in tone and feel. I dare say the feel was maybe better for me than an Axe Fx Ultra.

While its tone is very good- even the Axe Fx could not match the feel of my tube amp (Mesa F-50), though.
I am hoping the AXE II is a step closer to real tube amp feel.

Back
Top Bottom