How do you listen to music?

fatoni

Inspired
I was just wondering how you guys listen to music around the house. I think I am about to pull the trigger on some studio monitors for my computer/guitar but I was wondering what you guys use when you are just around the house. Thanks.

I fire up the Adams A7X's or put Sennheiser HD650's on. Otherwise iPhone with earbuds.

In front of my computer (or in the same room) my Tannoy Reveal 402 monitors.
Also use a Bose Soundlink speaker (bluetooth) small internal battery sounds decent. There are better models but I still like these.
Bose ear-buds when walking or somthinglike that.
Mostly the sound system in my pickup, to and from work.

But I really miss the way I use to listen to music.
Buy record go home put on turntable, listen to entire thing while reading all the liner notes on the jacket and at the same time making a copy on a cassette.
Taking that cassette hanging out with friends at the end of some dead end street/beach/parking lot or whatever, with a getto-blaster/boom-box and listening through straight threw again, (sometimes with some chemical indulgence along the way). And listening to other peoples cassette's straight through albums they purchased.

John

Cambridge Audio separates with M Audio floor speakers. For headphones, I use Sennheiser HD650s with an external DAC off my laptop. In the gym I use a Fiio x5 and KRK headphones, or Monster iSports if I'm running.

LOUD! :D ...when my wife lets me :lol

...but when I do it's typically through some old B&W's (primarily) and various other consumer audio products for ease, (ex.) various speakers, headphones and or decent pc speakers. I do my recording and mixing currently with some Yamaha HS80M's... until I get my hands on some CLR's.

I have a KRK K-Rok 5 speaker array set up for surround with a gifted subwoofer whose name I don't remember.

I have another pair of KRK's for the computer room.

Other than that I have a pair of Audio Technica headphones.

I use Skull Candy. Used them for years and though they're cheap - since 2008 I still hear things in songs that never came through before.

In various parts of the house, Cambridge Audio and Adcom through Martin Logans; NS-10s and Alesis M1 Actives w/Peachtree Audio DAC; Yamaha HS50Ms; JH Audio JH13s for headphones.

Axe-Fx DAC for a lot of my listening too :)

Want to get some Adams, but $$$

At the computer I have Tannoy Reveals and Senn HD-280 Pro headphones.

If I'm in the living room it's a Marantz receiver to JBL speakers.

On the radio I'm still using the second gen iPhone buds that came with my phone. I should really switch those out for something with noise reduction -- my commute is really loud.

zombie thread revival time....

I stumbled into a local HIFI audio shop today.
http://www.theanalogroom.net

Fell in love with a Rega setup.
RP6 turntable, amp, basic bookshelf speakers.
Put on side 2, last track of The Doors "LA Woman" album.

"Riders on the Storm"
Good lord. My ears. The sweet sound.
I began to weep a little.

I have several DJ coffins protecting albums I haven't listened to since the early 90's. Mostly because I've settled on the convenience of CDs.
And even now I'm all digital. My entire CD collection is digitized and available streamed anywhere I am.

But that sound. What a difference.

Help me brothers & sisters. WTF?

Last edited:
Fell in love with a Rega setup.
RP6 turntable, amp, basic bookshelf speakers.
Put on side 2, last track of The Doors "LA Woman" album.

"Riders on the Storm"
Good lord. My ears. The sweet sound.
I began to weep a little...

But that sound. What a difference.

Help me brothers & sisters. WTF?
If reduced frequency response, increased noise, limited dynamic range and higher distortion are your cup of tea, the world is your stylus. :)

A little harmonic distortion can fatten up a track the same way it can fatten up a guitar tone.

To anyone old enough to remember the birth of the CD: Remember that first listen...the first time you you spun up a CD of an album you'd heard a hundred times on vinyl? We marveled at details we'd never heard before, punchy dynamics we'd never heard before, a truly silent noise floor we'd never heard before, bass levels that were no longer limited in order to keep the needle from jumping the track.

Five years ago, I got nostalgic and broke out my old vinyl collection. Despite my hopes, the inferiority of the sound was immediately obvious.

Here's your help, my brother: good speakers in a good room make all the difference. But a $1500 turntable with the best cartridge in the world is no match for a well-engineered CD and a bargain-bin CD player.

In front of my computer at home it's a set of Equator D8 studio monitors. At work I use a pair of Sennheiser Momentum II headphones. I also have a pair of Sennheiser Momentum earbuds for use when I'm drifting off to sleep. Lastly, for the main floor of my house we have a Teac turntable for our vinyl collection.

At home I listen to my lossless music collection on my PC through my Axe-FX and Sennheiser HD-598 headphones. Sounds excellent.

On the go (car, airplanes, work), I stream Spotify through my phone and Klipsch X10 earbuds. Doesn't sound as good, but it works.

I have several Sony SRSX5's (bluetooth speakers) around the house that gets used a lot these days. Convenient and sound pretty good..stream music from my iPhone or iPads, etc to them.

HI-fi setup with some good floor standing speakers sometimes. Headphones quite often as well.. Senns, in-ears, etc. Just depends on the situation.

-M-Audio EX66s in the music room
-11 speaker Bose in the car
-Sony SBH52 + Drum-Earz dual driver IEMs

Ummm, that's about it.. Can't stand phone speakers or super-loud environments. It's gotta be 'just right'.

In the living room: Apple TV 4 through a Yamaha receiver and Jamo Silhouette mostly using Apple Music and Youtube.

In the music room - apart from me own noize - Apple Mac Mini through an Axe Fx II XL and Yamaha DXR10's mostly using Apple Music and Youtube.

Back
Top Bottom