How can I brighten and make my fx3 presets crisper and closer to the amp I’m modeling ?

Mark jones

I have a Tubemeister36 next to the fractal fx3/xitone and I’ve been trying many presets and twisting many knobs and I just can’t get the amp to sound like the original amp. I notice the same thing with my 72 vibrolux. I can get closer with the vibrolux but there’s still something missing. I am new to the fractal world. The fx3 is the first fractal anything I’ve ever owned. I love the fractal Axe fxIii and the Xitone and I’ve tried all the Dsp modes on the Xitone. I feel like there’s one thing I’m missing, one knob or virtual control I have yet to push or twist that will put me over the top. There’s a crispness that the original amps have that I can’t duplicate with the fractal fx3 live.

Treble, high treble, bright switch, presence.

Also don't be afraid to drop master or gain. Will get that 'touch sensitive' thing you might be looking for. The Fractal amps will do much more than the original amps, so faithful 'recreation' of knobs will probably not get you there.

Well, how would you expect to match the original? There is no model of the Tubemeister...

Also, how are you comparing them? What comes out of the Xitone is the model of a mic'd speaker, where as if you are playing the original amp into a speaker cabinet, you are hearing the sound of that cabinet in the room.

Try micing up the cab of the Amp (in another room where you can't hear the cab) and then comparing that to an IR with a similar mic/cab combination.

You'll have better luck with the Vibrolux since there is a model of that amp in the Axe Fx.

Also, changing presets is not the right approach.

Create a simple post with an Amp and Cab block only. Set the amp model and IR to something appropriate. All the presets are using different amp and cab combos.

For sounds more in the face, rise negative feedback when presence is past noon.
For more 3d sound play with dynamic damping, there's a sweet spot, and play with low resonance frequency, too get the right amount of oomph.
Avoid dialing in highs too much, aways try if cranking up the volume gets you there where you thought the highs could get you. Too much of highs lead you into the hifi studio world and move you away from how amps sound.

Also don’t forget the fletcher Munson curve, programming at 92+ DB might help

Rather dependent upon the output intensity level of the real amp, though as I’ve mentioned many times, equal loudness curves really flatten out by about 60dB within the typical guitar frequency range of 100-6000 Hz, so no real point in pushing 90dB, other than inducing a bit of potential hearing damage

Rather dependent upon the output intensity level of the real amp, though as I’ve mentioned many times, equal loudness curves really flatten out by about 60dB within the typical guitar frequency range of 100-6000 Hz, so no real point in pushing 90dB, other than inducing a bit of potential hearing damage

Agreed! I'm pretty sure I build my presets a lot lower than 90dB, although I still build them loud I definitely don't go that loud. I haven't measured how loud I do them decibel wise, but I can say it's loud enough for my wife to get annoyed with me, but not loud enough to bring the neighbours to my front door at night.

I'll probably measure the volume tomorrow out of interest, it's loud but not competing with open air drummer loud. And the results are good when I crank it.

Ah fair enough, what about synthesizers?

Instead of adding more highs try using the cut switch on the first amp page, setting the bright switch, and using the low cut on the cab block to give more crispness.

Reactions: JTI
I always have the exact opposite question: how do I dial out High frequencies without destroying the tone. I like how some factory or Austinbuddy's presets sounds at home, but to be able to use them live i have to cut a great deal of high end. My live presets sounds really dull at home, but they sit in a live band mix pretty good. Volume and context of sounds really change the presets sound.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom